Oshkosh Roush Crash Question

I wish he would buy up every single Premier and crash them, because I hate that aircraft THAT much.

And this is the problem of ego versus good judgement and good skills.

I kinda think it's a problem of too much money versus skills and judgement... a disease endemic to GA.
I saw JR crash as I was checking out @Erik10's 170, but until meat-silcon interfaces improve, I will have no video.
There was an essentially identical plane back at OSH this year. Don't know who was flying it.

The new one was sitting in front of his hangar within 3 days if I remember correctly. Also, his glass eye is very convincing.

I thought he had only had two. (AirCam (into the lake) and the Premier at Osh) I didn't know about the P51. When/where did he do that?

Can one even "crash" an Aircam? I can see getting distracted and floating into some structure, object or body of water, but crash... seems to extreme a verb.

Can one even "crash" an Aircam? I can see getting distracted and floating into some structure, object or body of water, but crash... seems to extreme a verb.

Flying an airplane into powerlines seems, flipping, and sinking seems like a crash to me.

NTSB:

On April 19, 2002, about 1804 central daylight time, a Lett R/Campbell K. AIRCAM homebuilt airplane, N912S, registered to Pike Aviation Inc., and operated by an individual, struck power lines, and impacted in a lake while maneuvering near Troy, Alabama. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed at the time. No flight plan was filed for the 14 CFR Part 91 personal flight. The airplane was destroyed. The airline transport-rated pilot reported serious injuries. The flight had departed from the Troy Airport, about 1715.

The pilot stated in a letter that, "I have no recollection of the accident nor any other incidents which occurred on 4/19/02." According to witnesses, the airplane had been flying around the area low level for about 45 minutes, when it struck power lines, about 70 feet above a lake, and then fell into the water. The crash site was located about 2 to 3 miles southeast of the Troy Airport. According to witnesses at the scene the airplane was found lying inverted at the east end of the lake, in about 6 to 8 feet of water. The airplane was only partly submerged with the nose on the bottom of the lake. A witness jumped into the lake and rescued the pilot from the submerged wreckage. There were no reports of any mechanical problems before the airplane struck the power lines. There were no reported obstructions due to weather, and the reported visibility about the time of the accident was 10 statute miles.

Toxicological tests were conducted on specimens obtained from the pilot during admission to the hospital by the Federal Aviation Administration, Research Laboratory, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. The tests were negative for Ethanol in Serum, and positive for Lidocaine in Serum.

The National Transportation Safety Board determines the probable cause(s) of this accident to be:

The pilot-in-commands decision to fly at a low altitude and his improper visual lookout resulting in an in-flight collision static with wires."

Seems like a crash to me unless you have a different definition of the word.

Last edited:
NTSB:

On April 19, 2002, about 1804 central daylight time, a Lett R/Campbell K. AIRCAM homebuilt airplane, N912S, registered to Pike Aviation Inc., and operated by an individual, struck power lines, and impacted in a lake while maneuvering near Troy, Alabama. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed at the time. No flight plan was filed for the 14 CFR Part 91 personal flight. The airplane was destroyed. The airline transport-rated pilot reported serious injuries. The flight had departed from the Troy Airport, about 1715.

The pilot stated in a letter that, "I have no recollection of the accident nor any other incidents which occurred on 4/19/02." According to witnesses, the airplane had been flying around the area low level for about 45 minutes, when it struck power lines, about 70 feet above a lake, and then fell into the water. The crash site was located about 2 to 3 miles southeast of the Troy Airport. According to witnesses at the scene the airplane was found lying inverted at the east end of the lake, in about 6 to 8 feet of water. The airplane was only partly submerged with the nose on the bottom of the lake. A witness jumped into the lake and rescued the pilot from the submerged wreckage. There were no reports of any mechanical problems before the airplane struck the power lines. There were no reported obstructions due to weather, and the reported visibility about the time of the accident was 10 statute miles.

Toxicological tests were conducted on specimens obtained from the pilot during admission to the hospital by the Federal Aviation Administration, Research Laboratory, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. The tests were negative for Ethanol in Serum, and positive for Lidocaine in Serum.

The National Transportation Safety Board determines the probable cause(s) of this accident to be:

The pilot-in-commands decision to fly at a low altitude and his improper visual lookout resulting in an in-flight collision static with wires."

Seems like a crash to me unless you have a different definition of the word.

I should have used a little smiley in my post. Was throttling up for 96.2% T/O sarcasm when, apparently, I flamed out... But, still, flying an Aircam is a little bit like flying a controllable balloon. I recently saw an Aircam roost itself, er... crash in a tree. It hung there like a lost kite until it was cut down.

DEMOTIVATIONAL.png

When I left YIP in August, he was still flying the P51s fairly regularly. He always flew the jet with another pilot. The jet at his hangar a week or so after the OSH accident was loaned to him from one of his drivers (Tail ending in DB). I had seen that jet several times before when his Premier was in mx. The replacement one showed up 5 or 6 months later.

He didn't fly the P-51s for almost a year after the accident. I believe the first thing he took out was his Cub...

Back