Oregon Pilot Certificate

Can't say I am surprised.

Some states require you to register your plane if you own one. The funny thing is that this stuff is purely a money grab and nothing else. Unless they have LEOs start ramp checking you I see no way they can really enforce this. You could easily get away without registering your plane in Ohio since they never actually checked the planes. The same would likely be true for this. That said non-compliance will definitely be found after an incident.

Can't say I am surprised.

Some states require you to register your plane if you own one. The funny thing is that this stuff is purely a money grab and nothing else. Unless they have LEOs start ramp checking you I see no way they can really enforce this. You could easily get away without registering your plane in Ohio since they never actually checked the planes. The same would likely be true for this. That said non-compliance will definitely be found after an incident.
This is one of the reasons! This law now gives the authority for local LEO to check your IDs.

Wait, so if I want to fly to Oregon I now have to register within 60 days? What a load of crap. I can't imagine that FBO's, flight schools, etc are very happy about this.

Any statute that uses the words "mere $12" is not so much about the legislation as it is the money grab...

There's ample precedent. IIRC, every attempt at doing this has been met by the FAA saying "Hey guys? Your actions are preempted by federal law, so yeah. No."

But IANAAL, so I'll leave it to the aforementioned.

~Fox
That is probably a correct statement. But you never know for sure what a court will do, especially the state court called upon to enforce a state regulation.

Yea, I don't see how this is legal. Court case after court case has stated the federal law preempts local laws about just about any regulation which comes to aviation. Especially aviation safety.

Oregon is attempting to regulate air commerce - a field occupied by the federal government. Although I haven't taken the time to research specific cases, I feel confident this regulation will be preempted by federal law (and they should get their money back from whoever told them this was a good idea - lol).

Oregon is attempting to regulate air commerce - a field occupied by the federal government. Although I haven't taken the time to research specific cases, I feel confident this regulation will be preempted by federal law (and they should get their money back from whoever told them this was a good idea - lol).

Why then is it legal for some states to require a state aircraft registration fee?

They've been doing this for 20 + years as far as I know. When I lived and worked there, our flight department just got them for everyone. I probably wouldn't on my own, but they didn't want any state trouble, I suppose.

brain2.jpg

Back