Opinions please?

Skyway

Hello all, I hardly ever post much here, but as I sit here contemplating the decisions I have made to this point ie going to college, flight instructing ,Skyway airlines and Republic Airways, and now back to flight instructing, I still feel that burning passion for flying. I know pay and work rules have gone down hill alot, thats no lie. Does anyone out there still have that burning desire to fly for a living, like you used to. I mean put all negative things aside. Does your blood really get flowing when an airplane flies overhead of you while driving down the highway. Are you guys like me where you watch the plane instead of the road? I mean even a cessna?

When things start to turn around, what do you other members think that we as professional pilot could do to make things easier and better for us? I mean what could we do to get our profession back? There have to be some other airlines out there that haven't furloughed other pilots, what did they do differently, than Skyway or Republic or TSA ect... I just want to know that there are other pilots out there that believe that there is still a chance to become a captain for a major airline. I wish that I could get some viewpoints from some older pilots as well and advice. Sorry to babble I guess even I don't know exactly what point I'm tyring to get across. Again thanks if anyone even responds.

One word...YES. The day I stop loving flying is the day that I will probably quit flying for a living. Or take a really really long vacation.

Yup. I've worked too long and too hard to get here, to just quit now. I'm not going anywhere.

Pinnacle hasn't furloughed yet, but I attribute that success to the beat down of their labor groups than any kind of stellar managerial decisions. The one thing they were smart about was running a lean ship as far as staffing goes. When things hit the skids, we just went to "normal" staffing by regional standards rather than "over staffed." 'Course management stills says we're over staffed despite still having to junior man, extend and occasionally cancel flights due to lack of crews.

The way I like to say it is I love my job, but I'm not too thrilled with the company I work for.

Thanks for the replies guys, I saw a picture of those sexy looking Dornier's that we used to fly at Skyway sitting on the ramp at Myrtle Beach I wonder where their going. It's hard to believe that I actually used to fly those at one time, you know? I just can't wait to get back into the 121 world. You just know sometimes when you are born to do something in this life. To all of those that still have a 121 job, I know its rough right now, but please hang on, somethings got to change sooner than later. I was sitting in the runup area at Lynchburg,VA in a Cessna with a student and saw a Piedmont plane taxing by and thought what a pretty airplane. Maybe I should apply to Piedmont, I here they pay decent, for a regional.

Skyway man I know your pain. Smart me, I flew a student over to DAY the other day. Let me tell you how much that one hurt to hear, "Bluestreak" comming in and taking off. Even recognizing a few of the voices on the radios too. I am about 4-5 from recall and it cant come soon enough. Found it funny many thought, 3-4 months at most. And now we are nearly 6 months in and I am sitting in the same run up pad with a student. Cant get tired of saying "RIGHT RUDDER", "SMALL CORRECTIONS" blah blah blah... It'll get better man! Stick in there!

Maybe I should apply to Piedmont, I here they pay decent, for a regional.

Uhhh....somehow I don't think we're hiring :rolleyes:

I'm going to be in the same boat as you in a month or two. I've thought about what I'll do if/when recalled. I love what I do, and yes, I still look up at planes flying overhead (especially when it's a Dash ;). Despite what some say, I love putting my uniform on and going out to represent the profession. I will definitely miss it when I'm gone. It all depends on where I end up during my furlough, but I can't imagine that I'll pass on recall.

Well on to a lighter note, Does anyone have any cool stories to share from their airline, what are some of the things that you enjoy about the job? I used to like it when it was the first flight of the day, and I would go fire up that APU first thing on a frosty morning in MKE, the sound still rings fresh in my mind. Or what about popping out on top when the world beneath is gray and gloomy down below.

It hurts. It sucks. And some people will never know the pain that we feel.

Fortunately or unfortunately perhaps, I'm only willing to feel like this once, perhaps twice in my career before I'll toss the towel in. Now, whether I not I actually follow through with it. . .that's one thing, but so long as my wife keeps reminding me of my standards then I'll be just fine.

Here's to all of us getting back into a cockpit of some sort soon.

Well on to a lighter note, Does anyone have any cool stories to share from their airline, what are some of the things that you enjoy about the job? I used to like it when it was the first flight of the day, and I would go fire up that APU first thing on a frosty morning in MKE, the sound still rings fresh in my mind. Or what about popping out on top when the world beneath is gray and gloomy down below.

I loved being able to jog on the trails near Sawyer in the morning and fly home to a much more populated and connected Milwaukee, taking in the awesome view of the eastern WI coastline.

I never thought I'd say this as I always complained of long sits in MKE, BUT, I actually have started missing hanging out in the crew lounge. We sure had a great group of pilots!!! Oh, don't forget the great bagel shop...or the 60 minute wait at Starbucks at 6 AM :)

Back