Operational Color Vision Test (OCVT)

xECKSx58

So, I'm colorblind and am fairly confident that I can pass the OCVT.
Well, that was until I just found out that the requirements are more involved for 1st and 2nd class medicals than the 3rd class.
According to someone on Yahoo Answers this is what you have to do:
The FAA has added a operational color vision test to the light gun test
If you cannot pass one of the alternate tests, you have another option that requires taking an operational color vision test with an FAA aviation safety inspector through the local flight standards district office (FSDO). The information describing the tests is found in FAA Order 8900.1, FSIMS, Volume 5, Chapter 8, Sections 5-1523.F, 5-1526.E.6, and 5-1527 F
This test has two components:
For third class medicals:
(a) A signal light test administered at an airport air traffic control tower; and
(b) A practical test in which you must read and correctly identify colors on aeronautical charts

For first or second class medicals:

(a) Successful completion of an operational color vision test (OCVT) described above; and
(b) A color vision medical flight test (MFT). This is an actual flight test and requires the following:
(1) You must read and correctly interpret in a timely manner aviation instruments or displays, particularly those with colored limitation marks, and colored instrument panel lights, especially marker beacon lights, warning or caution lights, weather displays, etc.

(2) You must recognize terrain and obstructions in a timely manner; select several emergency landing fields, preferably under marginal conditions, and describe the surface (for example, sod, stubble, plowed field, presence of terrain roll or pitch, if any), and also describe how the conclusions were determined, and identify obstructions such as ditches, fences, terraces, low spots, rocks, stumps, and, in particular, any gray, tan, or brown objects in green fields.

(3) You must visually identify in a timely manner the location, color, and significance of aeronautical lights. To minimize the effect of memorizing the color of a light associated with a particular light system, the aviation safety inspector should make every effort to not use the light system name during the flight, but rather to ask you to identify a light color and the significance of as many of the following lights as possible:

(a). Colored lights of other aircraft in the vicinity;
(b). Runway approach lights, including both the approach light system (ALS) and visual glideslope indicators;
(c). Runway edge light system;
(d). Runway end identifier lights;
(e). In-runway lighting (runway centerline [CL] lights, touchdown zone [TDZ] lights, taxiway lead-off lights, and land and hold short lights);
(f). Airport boundary lights;
(g).Taxiway lights (edge lights, CL lights, clearance bar lights, runway guard lights, and stop bar lights;
(h).Red warning lights on television towers, high buildings, stacks, etc.;
(i). Airport beacon lights.

If you pass the operational color vision test (OCVT) and the color vision medical flight test, the inspector will issue a letter of evidence that’s valid for all classes and a medical certificate with no limitation or comment regarding color vision.

First, do I need to already have a pilots license to take this test (because I don't) or could I fly as a passenger?
Second, is there a way for me to study the different lights other than going to an airport at night?

I am taking the OCVT/MFT this Friday. I will post the summary when its all over and done. There is another pilot who wrote a very good summary of what he went through not too long ago if you search for it. I have been flying for 12 years, currently fly for a regional, and have nearly 4000 hours. I went to a new AME for my First Class medical and he failed me on my color vision Ishihara test.

I haven't flown a 172 in 5+ years, so the FSDO said I had the option that I could do the MFT with an instructor in the right seat, me in the left, and the FAA examiner in the back seat. I guess that is what would work for you if you are currently flying as a student pilot with an instructor.

You need to fail the color vision test at the AME's office and have a current application for an airman medical certificate on file in Oklahoma City. If you fail at the AME's office, you need to request authorization for the OCVT which will be done at the FSDO.

There is no way to practice other than going to the airport with someone who is not color blind.

I've asked tower controllers to shoot light gun signals at me before, they dont seem to mind, probably gives them an excuse to dust that thing off and aim it at something. Good thing to show students on a X/C to a controlled field.

You cannot take the OCVT/MFT unless you get failed by your AME during your flight physical. Then the paperwork takes a few weeks to be processed, sent to the closest FSDO to where you took your medical, and they you schedule the test with the FAA inspector/examiner.

It is a one shot deal if you have any hopes of being an airline pilot. If I screw up horribly and fail I still keep my 1st class medical status with a night flying limitation, and I could still fly around during daylight hours for fun or for hire. But, I would be forever limited to a job flying during the day, airline/cargo/corporate pilots fly AM and PM night hours.

I lifted this from another posters experience, and I don't remember their name...

OCVT (occupational color vision test) and MFT (medical flight test)

With regard to the OCVT, it's a two part process. 1) Light Gun Signals from 1000' and 1500' horizontal distance and 2) Sectional Chart Review / Test.

We stood at the 1000' mark and the inspector calls the tower and lets them know our location and that we're all set to go. The inspector has a notebook that's my 'file' and writes down what color the tower shows me, and then what color I announce. Testing procedure is that I need to nail 6 random color combinations from both 1000' and 1500'. I'll be shown a color for 5 seconds, followed by a break of 3 minutes. As you can imagine the 3 minute wait between color only adds stress to an already stressful situation but we just shot the breeze and it made for a very comfortable testing environment.

Upon completing the light gun test by correctly identifying the 12 color sequence, my inspectors opted to just unfold a VFR sectional chart on the back of the car and asked me question. I identified class E/D airspace, terrain, obstacles, navigational aids, black/blue/magenta text, VFR airways, military training routes, MOA's, Restricted areas, as well as explaining to the inspectors what all the details adjacent to a towered airport meant (i.e. control tower freq is...this is a lighted airport with a beacon in this location, runways 22 and 10 have right pattern and the field elevation is 2548ft).

MFT

On the taxi to the runway, they were asking me questions about the colors on the cockpit gauges, the knobs, the needles, the difference in color of the asphalt, the color of the light filters atop poles and runway / taxiway signs. During the 0.7 hour MFT, they asked me alot of terrain questions (i.e. Tell me what you see on that hill over there). A pretty funny scenario was while I was on approach to land, they had me look out at the 9 o'clock low and identify some bright colors. I says 'Man, those are some wild orange and purple wildflowers' and they laugh and say 'Well, you got the colors right, but that's a skeet / trap range down there'.

We 'diverted' to an uncontrolled airfield, simulated a power off landing and had me read the VASI's. We paused briefly, then the lead inspector switched seats so his colleague could have a chance to ask me additional questions. In this case, it's rare to have an aviator 'put it all on the line' by going through the OCVT and MFT so they used my check-ride as a practical training session. the way back to San Jose was simlar questions (i.e. what kind of grass is over there, how about the color of the roof tops, what's that light flashing at us over to our 2 o'clock). There was never an instance of them requesting light gun signals while airborne - this was covered by the OCVT

As a result of me passing the OCVT / MFT, the FAA issued me a Letter Of Evidence, not a SODA, that I simply present to my FAA AME for my annual physical. It simply states that I have satisfactorily demonstrated my ability to meet color vision standards at the Class I / II level and that an AME may issue me any class of medical is I otherwise meet the medical requirements of said class. Quite simply really, show them the letter and that's all there is to it for the color vision section of the exam.

Thanks for the feedback guys, much appreciated.
I didn't mean "was there a way to practice the OCVT test," I was just wondering if there were any ways I could prepare for it.
But thanks, great info.

You cannot take the OCVT/MFT unless you get failed by your AME during your flight physical. Then the paperwork takes a few weeks to be processed, sent to the closest FSDO to where you took your medical, and they you schedule the test with the FAA inspector/examiner.

It is a one shot deal if you have any hopes of being an airline pilot. If I screw up horribly and fail I still keep my 1st class medical status with a night flying limitation, and I could still fly around during daylight hours for fun or for hire. But, I would be forever limited to a job flying during the day, airline/cargo/corporate pilots fly AM and PM night hours.

I lifted this from another posters experience, and I don't remember their name...

OCVT (occupational color vision test) and MFT (medical flight test)

With regard to the OCVT, it's a two part process. 1) Light Gun Signals from 1000' and 1500' horizontal distance and 2) Sectional Chart Review / Test.

We stood at the 1000' mark and the inspector calls the tower and lets them know our location and that we're all set to go. The inspector has a notebook that's my 'file' and writes down what color the tower shows me, and then what color I announce. Testing procedure is that I need to nail 6 random color combinations from both 1000' and 1500'. I'll be shown a color for 5 seconds, followed by a break of 3 minutes. As you can imagine the 3 minute wait between color only adds stress to an already stressful situation but we just shot the breeze and it made for a very comfortable testing environment.

Upon completing the light gun test by correctly identifying the 12 color sequence, my inspectors opted to just unfold a VFR sectional chart on the back of the car and asked me question. I identified class E/D airspace, terrain, obstacles, navigational aids, black/blue/magenta text, VFR airways, military training routes, MOA's, Restricted areas, as well as explaining to the inspectors what all the details adjacent to a towered airport meant (i.e. control tower freq is...this is a lighted airport with a beacon in this location, runways 22 and 10 have right pattern and the field elevation is 2548ft).

MFT

On the taxi to the runway, they were asking me questions about the colors on the cockpit gauges, the knobs, the needles, the difference in color of the asphalt, the color of the light filters atop poles and runway / taxiway signs. During the 0.7 hour MFT, they asked me alot of terrain questions (i.e. Tell me what you see on that hill over there). A pretty funny scenario was while I was on approach to land, they had me look out at the 9 o'clock low and identify some bright colors. I says 'Man, those are some wild orange and purple wildflowers' and they laugh and say 'Well, you got the colors right, but that's a skeet / trap range down there'.

We 'diverted' to an uncontrolled airfield, simulated a power off landing and had me read the VASI's. We paused briefly, then the lead inspector switched seats so his colleague could have a chance to ask me additional questions. In this case, it's rare to have an aviator 'put it all on the line' by going through the OCVT and MFT so they used my check-ride as a practical training session. the way back to San Jose was simlar questions (i.e. what kind of grass is over there, how about the color of the roof tops, what's that light flashing at us over to our 2 o'clock). There was never an instance of them requesting light gun signals while airborne - this was covered by the OCVT

As a result of me passing the OCVT / MFT, the FAA issued me a Letter Of Evidence, not a SODA, that I simply present to my FAA AME for my annual physical. It simply states that I have satisfactorily demonstrated my ability to meet color vision standards at the Class I / II level and that an AME may issue me any class of medical is I otherwise meet the medical requirements of said class. Quite simply really, show them the letter and that's all there is to it for the color vision section of the exam.

Happen to remember which class of medical they were going for? I was under the impression 3rd class just needed to do the light gun signal test and then a sectional chart exam.

Good Evening,
The write-up that Table Two referenced is my own. I was going for a Class I medical that required the Occupational Color Vision Test coupled with the Medical Flight Test.

Mongoose

Back