Op Specs

I actually ordered it a few days ago, hasn't been delivered yet. Any good sections to focus on as far as dispatch wise or look at all of them?

I’m a pilot so I can’t really give you advice from a dispatch perspective but I’ve read the thing cover to cover multiple times. I recommend that approach.

I can wrap my head around teaching ops specs in DX school, so long as there is consistency and with the disclaimer that your airline might be different, but after all, if we are grooming dispatchers to go to work for Part 121 shops, there are Ops Specs that literally every 121 airline has.

Back when I was in dispatch school it was definitely a "treat 'em and street 'em" kind of process. We learned the bare minimum we needed and went forth to prosper. Of course, that's right before 9/11 when they were hiring like crazy and couldn't get dispatchers into the pipeline fast enough.

I can wrap my head around teaching ops specs in DX school, so long as there is consistency and with the disclaimer that your airline might be different, but after all, if we are grooming dispatchers to go to work for Part 121 shops, there are Ops Specs that literally every 121 airline has.

Back when I was in dispatch school it was definitely a "treat 'em and street 'em" kind of process. We learned the bare minimum we needed and went forth to prosper. Of course, that's right before 9/11 when they were hiring like crazy and couldn't get dispatchers into the pipeline fast enough.

Honestly, I would go through every possible opspec if I were teaching people to work for theoretically "any" airline. "Oh, this is A014, it can have this, this, this, or this. Etc. I'd probably dig out the 8900 too - "this is where OPSPECs come from."

I teach groundschool at an air taxi ultra-part time and a few months ago, someone asked me "where do OpSpecs come from, why are they the same everywhere more or less" and I was kind of shocked that they didn't learn about this during their c-asel. I looked back and realized that man, I never had anyone show me this stuff either, I just kind of "learned it." Pilots (and by extension) dispatchers should know how OpSpecs get made as a matter of practicality - the 8900 is filled with SOOOOOOO much useful information about what the FAA actually wants.

Ops Specs are dropped upon us like mana from above. They are willed into existence from thin air by Master Control! :p

I'm of the opinion that if you're going to have an ops spec that is boilerplated to every 121 airline that exists, it should probably just be codified into a reg. C055 is a perfect example. I don't know of any airline that doesn't derive alternate minimums in exactly the same manner.

Are you in Dispatch school now? If not, you are way overthinking this. You are nowhere near ready to “study” Ops Specs. Best thing you can do is get an Aircraft Dispatcher Written Test study guide, and start with that. I recommend the ASA book. Read the text material, then answer the practice questions. Every question has references to source material, much of which is available online. No need to buy a bunch of books yet.

Back