Online Degrees

stuckingfk

I am thinking about finishing my Bachelor's Degree online. Anyone here on Jetcareers currently taking classes online? If so, what school and what do you like/dislike about it? Was it hard to get credit for flight training and prior college credit?

Thanks

I can’t speak for everyone, but I had a hell of a time with online courses. While it is theoretically possible to do classes online, I wouldn’t recommend doing it unless you have to. I guess it’s just the out of sight, out of mind thing. It’s also really difficult to convey certain lessons over the internet. However, we all learn in different ways, and it may very well work out for you.

Good Luck!

The most important thing about online classes is to make sure you have a good school....In college, they started to offer online classes while I was there, so I figured "great...I wont have to get up for class!" Well, they had not worked out all the bugs yet, and I ended up making a C in aviation safety
mad.gif
The Professor said we didnt need the book, and it was available online, so the bookstore didnt carry it. Halfway through the course the online book stoped working! And nobody fixed it.....so now I have a C in aviation safety on my record...I bet the airlines will love that.....Anyway, i'll get off my soapbox.

The important thing about online classes is to make sure the school has been offering them for a while.

I take classes online with UVSC They're very well organized and established. They do offer two BS Aviation degrees, if that's what you're interested in. The only stuff I transferred was for my PPL, and that was easy...can't speak for other transfer credit.

I am currently taking 5 classes at UVSC and I transferred all my licenses and ratings over to them for college credit.

[ QUOTE ]
How much does UVSC cost?

[/ QUOTE ]

To tell you the truth, I don't have the numbers in front of me but I want to say 120 dollars per credit hour. You can call uvsc and they will mail you a packet.

Ouch. You guys should check out Chater Oak State College - they accept FAA certificates for credit - and they allow you to earn credit via online classes, tests, or from classroom instruction from any accredited institution. I'm going a local community college to finish out my electives (last semester!) and paying only $43 per hour.

www.cosc.edu

Haven't officially enrolled yet but it looks pretty good and legit.

I wouldn't recommend getting your degree through online coursework. It is too difficult for many learning styles and does not allow you to interact with other classmates on a personal level. It is far too difficult to grasp or understand a concept from a computer screen instead of an animated teacher with voice-expression and visuals all at once - plus you will be able to immediately ask the teacher a question if you do not understand the material. With online coarses it is too difficult to do this.

I tried taking a Psychology coarse online and dropped it. You must be extra disciplined in staying on track with the coarsework. I attempted another coarse (Statistics) and got out of that to move into the old-fashioned classroom style of learning.

Bottom line is...it's not for everyone so but be careful when making the choice to get your degree online.

Does anyone know how much ERAU's online credits cost? I also heard of Utah Valley State College. They accept aviation credits too.

[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't recommend getting your degree through online coursework. It is too difficult for many learning styles and does not allow you to interact with other classmates on a personal level. It is far too difficult to grasp or understand a concept from a computer screen instead of an animated teacher with voice-expression and visuals all at once - plus you will be able to immediately ask the teacher a question if you do not understand the material. With online coarses it is too difficult to do this.

[/ QUOTE ]

And for others with a full-time job, family, life outside of school...it's the best way to do schoolwork with a full load of classes. There does tend to be a lot of written work like research papers, responses, etc. You do have to be fairly disciplined...just stay on track with the syllabus. On the other hand, unless you're a mathematician, don't take math courses online; now that's hard. UVSC is supposedly easy going with transfer credit, so I'm taking those few really tough courses at a local CC.

Back