One Union, one Payscale

MarineNav

Hello Everyone,

From my perspective outside the airline industry, in the past it seemed to me that whenever one pilot group signed a new contract, the next pilot group to sign would demand more than the previous. Perhaps my perceptions were off...I don't really know. But this got me to thinking about why not just have one Pilot Union and one set payscale for everyone. The payscale would be based on:

Seniority
Position (Cpt or FO)
Type of Plane OR # of seats
(other possible variables)

All US airlines would have equaling footing in regards to pilot scheduling, pay, benefits, etc. Although Seniority wouldn't necessarily transfer if a pilot moved from one airline to another, perhaps retirement packages could.

Also, no more scope clauses. If a Union wants to tell the an airline how to operate, then they should just start their own airline.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,

JR

[image]http://www.geocities.com/johnny_demo_2000/C130_Sunset.com[/image]

Actually, that idea has popped up about one or twice per year.

Just a wee bit Marxist in my humble opinion.

Besides, you're going to need to retrain pilots constantly because if I could maintain my MD-88 FO pay, I'd transition to SWA in PHX and learn to fly their flavor of 737. But when I got bored with that, I'd transition to DAL 737-800 and have to retrain to fly DAL's flavor of 737-800... etc etc etc

Won't happen.

Not all airlines are created equal hence the need for seperate (but connected via ALPA in most cases) unions.

If every airline had identical operating procedures, training, goals, etc it might make sense but in the end every airline is signifigantly different and thus presents unique problems that a single broad union couldn't possibly cope with in a timely and efficient manner.

[ QUOTE ]
Won't happen.

Not all airlines are created equal hence the need for seperate (but connected via ALPA in most cases) unions.

If every airline had identical operating procedures, training, goals, etc it might make sense but in the end every airline is signifigantly different and thus presents unique problems that a single broad union couldn't possibly cope with in a timely and efficient manner.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't know if a Delta FO would care to be making the same as a Mesa FO

Nope, no interest in making a Mesa FO rate after $100,000 in college+training, missed Xmas's/Birthdays/holidays.

One Alpa, One Seniority list. A great idea! I believe they have a website at www.onealpa.com

Again with the Mesa cracks. You do it to mess with me don't you???
smile.gif

Remember that Mesa pay is based on the industry average of all airlines with valid code shares with major airlines, so it's got to be higher than at least half of them!

New hire FO hourly pay rates at Mesa are higher than the following (or so I believe...)

Air Wisconsin
Chautauqua
Chicago Express
Colgan
Commutair
Gulfstream
Great Lakes
Mesaba
Pinnacle

I'm sure if I'm wrong someone will correct me!
wink.gif

Back