One old pilot helping a WWII Vet. & friend.

skybobb

I though I would post this story here just after Memorial Day weekend.

Dale Wilkins served in the Navy in WWII, and was a fellow teacher our last few years at Vale OR. High School. He was always very proud of his service stint. We even gathered and published a list of WWII veterans and some of their stories. A while back Dale called and said he had a request of me. It seemed that one of his brothers in the Portland area was close to death and he would like to go visit him. Dale had just had back surgery and didn't think he could stand the 6 1/2 or 7 hour drive from Vale to Portland. He wanted to know if I could fly he and his wife to Portland. I, of course, said sure and we made the trip. His other brother met us a Aero Acres, a little grass strip I knew of, in the Oregon City area. Later he was telling me that a friend had asked him where we had landed, Troutdale, or Portland Int. He said " Hell no, we landed in someones back yard". He Had a real good visit with his brother and his brother died 5 days later. Bob

Attachments

• scan0012.jpg
    scan0012.jpg
    376.3 KB · Views: 64
This is great to know that there are some people that care about our veterans. You did a GREAT JOB! As we say in the Navy...Bravo Zulu to you.

Back