One day I will be a real pilot...

Holy thread creep but my pops was big into Bluegrass. Basically a hillbilly from deep rural Northport, Alabama! Mom was serious Blues -- Bobby Blue Bland, BB (of course), Bill Broonzy, stuff you normally wouldn't hear.

My Pops is quite the character. He would put on his favorite blues/jazz/classical music on the LP, drink beer and play Chess all by himself in his office. I would muster up and play Chess with him for the fun of it. Kinda funny to see him jammin along to his music as if he was the Conductor of this masterful noise. After a while it grew on me.

My Pops is quite the character. He would put on his favorite blues/jazz/classical music on the LP, drink beer and play Chess all by himself in his office. I would muster up and play Chess with him for the fun of it. Kinda funny to see him jammin along to his music as if he was the Conductor of this masterful noise. After a while it grew on me.

Cherish that time man. Trust me.

Reactions: ljg
I typically get this

"What do you do?

"I am a flight instructor"

"Oh so do you know how to fly an airplane?"

"Haven't a clue, I just teach it."

Yeah, definitely had this one once or twice. I wonder about some people.

Oh yeah.

Whenever I ride in the cockpit, especially the redeye to JFK it's always "I just can't fly all night like that."

Then I'd start the "Well, actually by the time I'm landing in Europe it's a little after 0100 body clock time in PHX and.... oh... never mind"

And it's daytime by the time you get there! Makes aaaall the difference in my mind.

OP: Don't worry, I've had a couple new FAs who were surprised to see me flying the airplane. People know very little about our career field!

I got asked yesterday, "So do you want to be a commercial pilot someday?" Me: "I am a commercial pilot". Person: "I didn't know you flew for the airlines!" You get used to it. It is the same as in any job field. If someone doesn't know anything about what you do... it tends to show real quick in conversation.

Happens in all fields. I spent a couple years a few decades ago working in an armored car. Should see all the stupid questions people ask and what they do.

"Got any extra?" Sure I got six, but if you let me reload, I can give you six more

"Got any free samples?" Yeah, today I have lead

Tossing a bag of Fed coin into the truck at one bank and the bottom broke, $50 in pennies all over the sidewalk. Idiots came running over to scoop some up. WTF people, two guys standing their with guns and you're going to risk it for a handful of pennies?

Say what you want, but those 402 pilots are at home in bed right now!

And I do recall a fair amount of XJT "big jet" snootiness when I was at Cape flying out of BWI. Funny you mention that. :)

Oh I have no problem with Cape. I am good friends with several pilots there, and interviewed myself. I was just pointing out the irony of the statement made by the pax!

Say what you want, but those 402 pilots are at home in bed right now!

And I do recall a fair amount of XJT "big jet" snootiness when I was at Cape flying out of BWI. Funny you mention that. :)

We have plenty of day trips too! I think it's human nature, my jet is bigger than your jet. I have gotten looked down upon from the major league guys.

until I become captain, I'm just some lousy mess hall worker! :)

Why only an F/O? Because anything else might make The Man a little nervous.

21329_512x288_manicured__IVsY4S8M0U6G-Xj0J-z2SQ.jpg

Even with flying several hundred passengers across the oceans to almost every continent, accident-free for over 25 years of flying, until I become captain, I'm just some lousy mess hall worker! :)

I recall earlier this year doing a 13 hour ferry with just us 4 pilots. As Movie Critic #2 on the flight, I became very adept at working the R1. :)

A lot of people ask me if we really need solo those "dials and gizmos"

I just say most of them don't do anything and some of them are stickers...we just want people to think we're busy

If they're cool, take em flying! Why not? Good way to keep in touch with people and introduce them to something unique.

I get this all the time. All the time. I'm used to it, I just roll my eyes.

I gladly take people flying, don't get me wrong. What I meant was is when people just say that with an empty meaning, and when you call them up and actually try to take them flying they would rather go do something else than go flying. They just say they wanted to go originally to make conversation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

And it's daytime by the time you get there! Makes aaaall the difference in my mind.

OP: Don't worry, I've had a couple new FAs who were surprised to see me flying the airplane. People know very little about our career field!

All good I am enjoying the ride at this point. Nothing like digging trail to put it all in perspective.

What did the FA's think you did for a living? :)
Thread drift ... I was about to board a crew van in Leipzig a couple years ago in a light drizzle. I didn't feel like being that cozy with the FA getting in the van ahead of me so I stayed out of her bubble. The FA behind me got a bit irate because her hair was getting wet and gave me some lip. I ushered her past me so she wouldn't melt, then told her "Hey, I'm married! I can get that at home, but I don't have to take it from you..... Real quiet bus ride to the airplane.
I got selected for a drug screening on arrival in BWI too. I hate when that happens.

Back