One Crazy Idea!

stuckingfk

I have been toying with this idea for sometime and I thought I'd share it with everyone here and see what other ideas, tips, advice, or suggestions might come out of it.

This idea of mine is to fly to all 50 states in 5-6 days. I am not sure what criteria I would have for choosing the airport I land at in each state, probably the busiest in each state.

As for aircraft, it would be nice to have a twin because of speed, and having an extra engine crossing the pacific will calm the nerves a little. Not sure if the twin will be affordable or not, so it might be a single.

Have any of you heard of someone doing this as fast as they can? I wouldn't know where to look for this kind of venture.

What do ya'll think?

If I could afford it and didn't have to work I'd do it. Sounds like a lot of fun. I'd imagine you wouldn't be able to do it in 5-6 days. You figure you have to fly north to south the entire width of the U.S. a couple times. Just the FL to ME part would be a day. And the CA to AK part would be 2 days. Then to hit every state inbetween the two and Hawii would be impossible in the remaining 2-3 days.

I think the idea rocks. But CiKid is right, it would take a few more then 5 days to do. Here is a guy thatdid it on a motorbike (ok, the lower 48 anyways) in 100 days. Would you actually land in every state, or just pass through the airspace?

Ethan

why would you want to do this?

Before you think I am busting your balls on this, keep in mind that this question is coming from a guy who, on a bar bet, swam in EVERY US greatlake in under 12 hours
smile.gif

Bluelake

skyguyed,

I would be looking for a partner in this adventure. Split the costs and most things are better shared. And yes, I would land in every state.

As for why I would do it, I guess it would an accomplishment. There probably isn't too many people that can say they landed in every state in such a short time. As for the 5 day thing, that probably is a stretch, but I think it could for sure be done in a week.

[ QUOTE ]
Can I come?
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I was thinking...

As for the length of time, Id say the shortest, but safest time possible. What happens if the weather doesnt cooperate?

It could be done that soon -- as a stretch . . . but don't stretch it . . . "crew rest" is an important concept which should take precedence over any record/accomplishment.

Aside from that . . . sounds cool, would love to do it, but don't have the time/money.

Go to yahoo and search for "great circle mapper." I used that for all my preliminary cross country trip planning when i used to rent a seminole to try to build multi-engine time. I went most of the way around the country in 4 days in one of my tripsthis past summer..... TLH-MLU-WDG-2V2 first day.... 2V2-5U7-BIL-BZN-RAP the next... RAP-FCM-CIU-MCD-TVC on day 3.. then TVC-SDF-TCL-PNS-TLH the last... woo hoo! Split the time with a friend.. that was a great way to see the country.

Edited in- first day was approx 9 hours, second around 6, third around 6, and last around 7...thunderstorms being the theme of the trip haha.

And just so you know.. you might not be able to get all 50 unless you like swimming most of the way to HI with your airplane sinking back behind you
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
What kind of airplane were you thinking of
LAX-HNL is 2221 miles.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its around 2080 miles to HNL from SFO. I am not sure what twin I am thinking of, but of course it would have to have a ferry tank in the back to make the overseas trek. A twin commanche comes to mind, fast and good on gas.

Anyone have an estimate to how long it would take? I am sure I can find a twin to rent where they will give me 100 hours for 10 grand if I paid it in cash.

You don't need a twin. You can do it in a singl Commanche. My Grandpa flew from England to Cuba then up to the north pole in his 250. Another guy flew for 30 hours non stop from Casablanca to Calafornia.

[ QUOTE ]
As for aircraft, it would be nice to have a twin because of speed, and having an extra engine crossing the pacific will calm the nerves a little. Not sure if the twin will be affordable or not, so it might be a single.

[/ QUOTE ]

See "What was this guy thinking" post
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]

See "What was this guy thinking" post
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha good point.

Would be a neat trip. I might pass on the HNL trip though, especially after hearing about that guy that hit water 300 miles short of land in the pacific.

Back