On my own!!

braidkid

Well, I'm officially layed off from my engineering job!!! What a feeling...guess I better get used to it if I want to pursue a flying
career.
Anyway, I would like to talk to any CFI's on this board for some general advice. If you don't mind talking you can
private message me your phone number and I will call you.

That sucks, man. Sorry to hear it.

I'm sure you'll find something soon, though!

Ryan,

I was really hoping that wouldn't happen...

Oh well, I guess you'll be instructing sooner than you thought.

Good luck with the CFI job search.

If you guys need a place to live, I'll have a three bedroom house all to myself here in about 3 weeks...

Damn, that sucks. What type of engineer are ya? About 90% of my social circle are engineers, perhaps I could hook you up with someone.

Doug, if you know of any engineers needed in the Phoenix area that would be great!!! You might toss
the word around. I'd be forever in debt to ya!!!
wink.gif

Lemme think.

Mostly civil/traffic/environmental engineers locally here in PHX.

What type of engineer are you and do you have your EIT or PE?

I'm a mechanical engineer. I dont have my PE. That's the wonderful thing about working in aerospace, it doesnt require a PE.
I hear that a lot of other engineering jobs outside of aerospace do however. I think Raytheon has a defense group in Phoenix?
That would probably be my best option.

braidkid:

you graduated from school pretty recently, though, right? I work in marketing for an engineering firm and we have a LOT of young guys - most don't get their PEs until they are upper 20s, around 30 years old.

Sarah

Sorry to hear the bad news! I have been there, my friend! I still don't have a "real" job and am waiting tables and doing retail to get cash. If I don't get a real job soon, I may just sign up for a professional pilot program somewhere and get this done.

You guys are awesome!! What a support group I have here!! I'm here blasting resumes off everywhere on monster.com
There's gotta be something out there...

Braidkid,
Sorry to hear about your layoff. The outpouring of support from the jetcareer's folks was amazing though.

I too am an ME and I've wondered sometimes what I would do if I was ever laid off. Ideally I think I would sell the house, pack up the wife (to be) and dog, move to a cheap part of the country and fly, fly, fly until I was able to actually make money from it. So I was just wondering if that type of scenario was something you ever thought about? Just some observations from your previous posts:
- it seems like you aren't tied to the area you are in and you can go just about anywhere (i.e. somewhere cheap to live)
- your wife or wife to be is or will be a nurse? This is something I read somewhere but if true then this would be a steady source of income for the family.
- you are pretty close to becoming a CFI

With all this in mind, could this layoff actually be one of those "blessings in disguise" (not saying any layoff is good)? Is this your opportunity to go balls to the wall towards a pilot career? Just curious about your thoughts... jb

My wife, being a civil/environmental engineer hasn't come up with anyone needing a mechanical, but can you do civil or structural?

braidkid: we currently don't have any open positions listed on our website (for the first time in 3 years, unfortunately), but if you'd like to, give me a pm I can get your resume in the right hands. If we win even a tiny fraction of the projects we are currently bidding, we most likely will be hiring again.

Sarah

flying_ME: Hey, yea, we thought about the packing up and go fly thing. I even considered going to a place like
Comair and get all my ratings and roll the dice that I'd get hired. However, I can't see how anyone is able to take on
$30k in debt and then get paid (if you're hired) $1k/month and survive. I imagine the only way that would be possible is
if your wife is able to support you. On that note, my wife is a sophmore in college so she's pretty much tied up right now
trying to get a degree. So as you can see we don't have the money to go off and fly fly fly.
I found a local FBO where I can finish my CFI and get my CFII up to MEI for around $5k!! That's pretty good if you ask me.
I asked if they were hiring and they said not for at least another year. So I figure I'll try and get back on with Boeing here in
Wichita (I worked there for 2 years before moving to Cessna) and make the big bucks a little longer at least until my wife
is done with school. Once my wife is done with school in 3 or so years, then we'll be more apt to take on some risks.

Anyway, thank you again everyone for all your kind offers. PM me your email addresses and I can blast you my resume
just for grins. If I dont get a spectacular offer somewhere else and I don't get back on with Boeing I can always go manage the local McDonalds!!!
crazy.gif

[ QUOTE ]
flying_ME: Hey, yea, we thought about the packing up and go fly thing. I even considered going to a place like
Comair and get all my ratings and roll the dice that I'd get hired. However, I can't see how anyone is able to take on
$30k in debt and then get paid (if you're hired) $1k/month and survive.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here. I am tossing the idea around and since I am single I don't even have to worry about keeping the wife happy. I have set a deadline of June 30 to find a job. If not, then I am going to apply for a Sallie Mae loan to go to the ATP Inc program here in DC. And if I get it, I'm signing up.

But it is so hard to take that leap without a net, especially if you are a spoiled SOB like me who is used to taking home a good salary.

[ QUOTE ]
we thought about the packing up and go fly thing. I even considered going to a place like
$30k in debt and then get paid (if you're hired) $1k/month and survive.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto here. That's the main reason why I'm doing the FBO/Working full time route.

I'm sure some are able to do the full-time, Part 141 programs and that's great for them, but I prefer a little more financial stability right now. Especially in this economy.

Sure, my route will take me longer, but I'll have money in the bank at the end of the line and HOPEFULLY, those that are high hour instructors right now that aren't moving.... will have moved on.... in a perfect world, that is.

Back