On-Line Degree

Veronaut

Does anyone have any first hand experience with any of the "on-line" degree programs? I am approximately 30 credits short of my bachelors degree, & am scouting out prospective colleges. I have the info packets from ERAU & the University of Nebraska Omaha. I am currently in training at FlightSafety, & I like the idea of finishing my degree over the internet.

Some things that I am considering:

1. Credit transfer, who will give me the most?

2. Cost! I desire a degree, not another mortgage payment!

3. How well is the "on-line" program managed?

4. School reputation.

ERAU is probably my leading candidate right now. I am in Vero Beach & they offer classes at FlightSafety, but I am not sure that they are the best value. I would be interested to hear from anyone who has experience with ERAU, UNO, or any other program that I may not have heard of? Thank you in advance.

'naut

I'm not sure about the transfer stuff...Utah Valley State College has a well organized, reputable internet program. aviationuniversity.com They have just as many staff dedicated to distance-learning as they do working with the residential type students...check them out. BTW, MUCH cheaper than ERAU. uvsc.edu is the website for the school
Good luck.
cool.gif

I, too, am considering finnishing my degree with online classes, perhaps after I hold a job but before the majors (since getting to the majors takes many years and they are the ones that the degree is needed for- or am I missing something?).

But I seem to remember seeing in most college programs a minimum amount of hours required to receive a degree from them. I just checked a ramdom selection on USnews.com, and the requirement ranged from 17-63 hours be completed at their school.

Just something to keep in mind.

I will add that I have taken two onlince courses (calculus and Writing) from the local community college and also have a friend that took one (maybe two) at the University of Houston. Neither of us were happy with the course. My main disapointment was missing class interaction, though this was more a problem in the writing class than calculus, which is simple straight forward learnin'. Have you ever been in a long distance relationship? Go to one of the Pilot's Wives newsgroups and read up. Online courses are kind of like that (well, not really, but reading those boards does give an interesting view of the personal live a pilot can expect). The actual content of our online classes did not suffer, at least.

On the other hand, if you will be flying, you will already have plenty of interaction with others. Also, you'll start flying a year sooner, which I suspect is something you had in mind when you went to FlightSafety without holding your degree.

I hope FlightSafety is going well, and good luck

James Adams

Thanks for the replys N6701 & degn. '01, are you a student or grad of uvs? I did see them, but I have not asked for their info yet. I think I was a little concerned about how new their program was, as well as their reputation. Don't get me wrong, it's not that I have heard anything bad about the school, it's just that I have never heard about the school period! If they are a good value, I think I'll give them a second look. I have heard more than one person tell me that when it comes down to it, it doesn't matter where you earned your degree, only that you have it. I have also heard that it really doesn't matter what your major is either, but I want an aviation degree so that I can apply the work that I'm doing here at FSI towards the degree.

By the way, degn, things are going well here at FSI, thanks for asking. I'm finishing up step 3, which is the multi-engine rating. I'm hoping to stay here & insruct at FSI (yes I know all about the hiring right now), so that is why I'm interested in on-line classes. ERAU does offer classes here at FSI, which would be nice for the classroom interaction. Combine that with some classes on-line, & I could proceed a little quicker!

Again, thanks for the info, & please follow up if you have anything else to add. Does anyone else have some insight as well? Thanks in advance.

'naut

Veronaut, I start UVSC's residential program in Aug. '02. I visited their Provo facilities in Jan. They seem well organized and committed to their internet program. Maybe a phone call to a staff member would help you get a feel (good or bad) about the quality of the school. Bottom line is (in my opinion) value. I've heard from several "civilian" airline pilots that you can get your degree from anywhere, so try to minimize the debt you'll be in after school. Good luck and let me know if you have any more questions about UVSC.

Back