On course or direct?

Murdoughnut

Well sized member
This scenario has been causing me fits lately.

You've got an IFR flight plan that includes a departure from the airport, followed by direct to a waypoint. You take off and ATC vectors you in another direction, and then says "proceed on course."

Which of the following am I expected to do?

1) Turn to intercept the direct line course between the airport I left and the waypoint (what shows in my GPS)
2) Go direct from where I am right then to the waypoint

Probably a simple answer I should know, but it's bugging me.

Direct. Really the instruction should be “proceed direct fix then on course”

If a procedure turn, hold-in-lieu of procedure turn, or arrival holding pattern is depicted and the angle of intercept is 90 degrees or less, the aircraft must be instructed to conduct a straight-in approach if ATC does not want the pilot to execute a procedure turn or hold-in-lieu of procedure turn.

This is the scenario I get. The controller doesn’t want/expect a hold-in-lieu of PT (as depicted) at the fix I’m cleared to, but doesn’t specify “cleared straight-in” either.

This is the scenario I get. The controller doesn’t want/expect a hold-in-lieu of PT (as depicted) at the fix I’m cleared to, but doesn’t specify “cleared straight-in” either.

Same as above... I just ask for or confirm the straight in.

I just proceed direct to the destination.

"Air traffic controllers hate him..."

I may have told this story before...

When I was just getting started at PSA, I flew with relatively senior furloughed USAir guy who was over there as part of the J4J program. He told me a story about how on his first month as a reserve on the 737-300 at USAir he flew a retirement flight with a PIT based captain. Apparently they took off out of FLL and through 1000 feet the captain punched Montour (the VOR just south of PIT) into the box and went direct. This FO had to explain to every controller that they talked to that they were direct MMJ.

After they landed and shut down the plane, the captain packed up his bags, walked off the plane, tossed his ID at the Chief Pilot who was standing at the top of the jetway, said "#### you Joe", and walked away. The FO figured he was going to get fired but when the CP asked what the captain had done and he explained it, the CP said something like, "oh, that's it? Don't worry about it."

It apparently was a different time.

I may have told this story before...

When I was just getting started at PSA, I flew with relatively senior furloughed USAir guy who was over there as part of the J4J program. He told me a story about how on his first month as a reserve on the 737-300 at USAir he flew a retirement flight with a PIT based captain. Apparently they took off out of FLL and through 1000 feet the captain punched Montour (the VOR just south of PIT) into the box and went direct. This FO had to explain to every controller that they talked to that they were direct MMJ.

After they landed and shut down the plane, the captain packed up his bags, walked off the plane, tossed his ID at the Chief Pilot who was standing at the top of the jetway, said "#### you Joe", and walked away. The FO figured he was going to get fired but when the CP asked what the captain had done and he explained it, the CP said something like, "oh, that's it? Don't worry about it."

It apparently was a different time.

Awesome.

Reading this on the layover eve of my captain’s retirement day tomorrow. His wife and son will be in the back, that’ll keep him honest!

Awesome.

Reading this on the layover eve of my captain’s retirement day tomorrow. His wife and son will be in the back, that’ll keep him honest!

Pre covid the few retirement flights I sat right seat for, I'd give the FAs a notebook and a bunch of pens and ask them to pass the book around the cabin and have the pax write congrats messages for the captain. Kind of cool to surprise them after the flight with a book of 180 well wishes from random people.

Back