Old DUI...dream dead?

knie0012

I am a student pilot with 12 hours and ready to solo. I applied for a class 3 medical and disclosed that I had a DUI almost five years ago. I had no prior or post convictions of any kind.

I personaly delivered the documents they requested, and everytime I get a response of we need more documents. Just recently they requested a substance abuse assesment because of the BAC from that specific time (5 years ago).

I now have to pay $400 dollars to get an assesment for a DUI that happened 5 years prior. Is this something that will deny my medical? Do I keep dumping money into this thing if it eventually will get out right denied?

Any other expereinces? I tried to do a search but it came back with nothing.

I am all but ready to give up here....very frustrated.

Any other expereinces? I tried to do a search but it came back with nothing.

I am all but ready to give up here....very frustrated.

The search engine doesn't do three letter acronyms for some reason. Try this instead - plenty of threads about DUIs here:

Copy this into a google search - dui site:jetcareers.com

i know a guy that has 2 DUI's, and he has atleast a 2nd class medical. So you should be fine.

Just do the evaluation. The feds are just crossing T's and dotting i's unless you really had a major problem. The $400 is a miniscule portion of what you are about to spend on flying.

Are you planning on making a career out of flying? If so, I would go for a first class medical.

At one of my previous employers we had pilot that had a DUI and is still flying airliners.

Not a career, rather a long time promise to myself. I eventually hoped to get a SES rating and maybe a commercial for flight tours. That would be years or possibly a dream now. Just a third class is all I needed.

I understand why the FAA needs to do this but to deny somebody for a one time, years ago offender seems excessive.

If deneid what is the appeals possibility of overturning it? What is the repercussion of a past deneid medical?

one dui will/should not make any difference on getting a med cert. Just tell the truth and if it os only one it will not be a problem. The key is not to lie about it. PM me as i went through the same thing few years back.

Where do you go to get a "substance abuse assessment" ? From who, M.D. or a social worker?

The DUI was nearly five years ago. I had to get a chemical assessment due to the fact that my BAC was high. They wanted proof that I had some treatment or assessment done then. The records that I had for them did not suit the needs of the flight surgeons office. A new one had to be done I guess and then I had to "jump another hoop".

The assessment was done by neither a social worker or m.d. It was just a certificate holding assessor. The assessment that usually takes 2 hours took 15 minutes.

Turned all the additional paperwork in and the medical/student license was issued.

Question is, in 5 years when I need another medical, I check, yes I had a DUI, but then say that all information has been previously disclosed, and no new changes?

Can the AME issue it there and then or do I need to get a medical from the flight surgeon every time?

Thanks

Just write "Previously reported, no changes" and the AME will ask some questions to put in Box 60 to indicate this has already been reviewed by the FAA.

Back