Oktoberfest

nc1982

Any of you guys done it? Me and a few guys are trying to head out there this year was wondering how difficult it is. I know flying into Munich would be impossible so we are looking at Frankfurt or even Zurich and train it in. Is it worth the hassle?

Make beer hall reservations, the good tents fill up and are booked in advance. Some tents will rip your boxers off when walking in, you've been warned.

GF doesn't have a passport....thus I can't surprise her with a trip to Germany this year.

Follow The Juice's advice though!

Any of you guys done it? Me and a few guys are trying to head out there this year was wondering how difficult it is. I know flying into Munich would be impossible so we are looking at Frankfurt or even Zurich and train it in. Is it worth the hassle?

In 2009 during the peak of the recession, I got business class right into MUC and also on the way out, on the flight from ATL. Looking at the loads in two weeks, I don't think that will happen again and I'm planning on getting there via somewhere else.

I enjoyed it enough to make plans for a trip back in two weeks. Last time I went I was with two friends of mine and we managed to find a spot at the tables each night. I'm going with 3-4 people this time, and possibly meeting up with someone I know who lives in the area so perhaps they will have a spot reserved already, they do each year.

I'm looking at ZED'ing from somewhere this time, possibly from FRA, CDG, or AMS. Also depends on how the flight to STR looks since that's not quite as long of a train ride.

When I did Oktoberfest in Munich 3 years ago, I went to Zurich and took the train. Zurich was great, and I got to see quite a bit of Switzerland/Germany on the train. Definitely worth it, IMO. No need to hurry to Munich; enjoy the journey.

Oktoberfest is a tourist trap, but something you should do once to check it off the list.

Go to local fests instead like CRJdriver said. Cheaper, more authentic, less crowded, and not filled with drunk foreigners who can't handle their booze puking all over the place.

Back