OKC TRACON Classes

highlander27

Does anyone know what the course numbers for TRACON classes are for OTS applicants at OKC? Are they different classes from Terminal courses?

Sooner thanks.

Sunburn yeah but I'd rather be there than NCT (San Diego as opposed to Mather). Seems like there's a lot more to do, although housing prices are MUCH cheaper in the Mather/Sacramento area. Good luck at your facility as well.

Agreed! They offered me Mather at the LA PEPSI, I "respectfully" asked to be changed to anywhere in San Diego. I ended up with SCT which was my first choice all along. Have you ever been to San Diego Highlander? I've lived here over seven years and its AWESOME!!!:rawk:

Yea, me and a girl at the PEPSI were both switched from positions in northern Cali to SCT. She was born and raised in San Diego and I did my whole Naval career here and my fiance is still in the military in SD and unable to relocate. So I'm pretty set on staying here. They said they only switched us because we were both VRA (veterans relief act) and we'd "earned it" :laff:. Otherwise they would have said take it or leave it.

One woman I contacted at the FAA prior to the PEPSI reference my chances of staying in San Diego said, Take what they offer you, even if you "can't" take that position. If you turn it down they will send you home right then and there. If you take it, go through the whole day (physical, psych eval, etc.) then you can call a few days later and say you can't take it. That way all of your processing is done and you just have to be re-assigned. It beats having to re-apply, and go to another PEPSI. Good luck getting your preference. I know its tough, when I sat down with the HR rep and she said "How does Mather California sound?", My heart sank. I'm from california and other than seeing Mather as fix on flight plans I'd filed/read, I didn't even know where it was. I figured that was the beginning of the end of my relationship with my fiance. But they were pretty accomodating. Its always worth a shot to ask for the facility or at least the city that you would like. Luckily for me, there are four facilities that would have worked for me. GOOD LUCK!:nana2:

Yea, me and a girl at the PEPSI were both switched from positions in northern Cali to SCT. She was born and raised in San Diego and I did my whole Naval career here and my fiance is still in the military in SD and unable to relocate. So I'm pretty set on staying here. They said they only switched us because we were both VRA (veterans relief act) and we'd "earned it" :laff:. Otherwise they would have said take it or leave it.

One woman I contacted at the FAA prior to the PEPSI reference my chances of staying in San Diego said, Take what they offer you, even if you "can't" take that position. If you turn it down they will send you home right then and there. If you take it, go through the whole day (physical, psych eval, etc.) then you can call a few days later and say you can't take it. That way all of your processing is done and you just have to be re-assigned. It beats having to re-apply, and go to another PEPSI. Good luck getting your preference. I know its tough, when I sat down with the HR rep and she said "How does Mather California sound?", My heart sank. I'm from california and other than seeing Mather as fix on flight plans I'd filed/read, I didn't even know where it was. I figured that was the beginning of the end of my relationship with my fiance. But they were pretty accomodating. Its always worth a shot to ask for the facility or at least the city that you would like. Luckily for me, there are four facilities that would have worked for me. GOOD LUCK!:nana2:

Pretty much similar situation for me... Either SCT or LAX were my top choices but at the NY PEPC I also got the "How does Mather California sound?" and yes, my heart was crushed. In fact, I never even heard of Mather and so I asked the HR rep where it was. Apparantly she didn't know either and spent the next 5 minutes looking it up on Google maps :laff:. As she was searching I was thinking it can't be good. Anyways, I told her my facility preferences, but she told me she couldn't change it at the PEPC and to just accept the post for now, go through all the PEPC stuff and contact my HR rep when I got back home. Sure enough I did and was fortunate enough to have my transfer request fulfilled!

I've never lived in SD but I'm from Los Angeles and so I've visited a few times. I'm not that familiar with the area, but my fiancee has lived there for a few months so I guess she can show me around. Are you in the process of trying to find housing in SD for after OKC as well? Do you know what areas of SD are among the nicer (and somewhat affordable) places to live besides La Jolla and UTC?

I'm from LA too, well really the San Fernando Valley. No, not looking for a home I already live here in San diego, have for the past 7 years.
The nicer places are: Mission Valley, Tierrasanta, mira mesa (both Tierrasanta and Mira mesa are one or two exits away from SCT), clairmonte. Thats about all i can think of for now. As a general rule I won't live south of the 8 freeway, it just goes down hill from there.
My fiance and I are likely going to be in the market for a house when I get back from school, we're hoping for a house in Tierrasanta but it can be expensive.
Thats really weird that they we're both from LA (kinda), both offered Mather and both ended up with SCT. small world.

I'm from LA too, well really the San Fernando Valley. No, not looking for a home I already live here in San diego, have for the past 7 years.
The nicer places are: Mission Valley, Tierrasanta, mira mesa (both Tierrasanta and Mira mesa are one or two exits away from SCT), clairmonte. Thats about all i can think of for now. As a general rule I won't live south of the 8 freeway, it just goes down hill from there.
My fiance and I are likely going to be in the market for a house when I get back from school, we're hoping for a house in Tierrasanta but it can be expensive.
Thats really weird that they we're both from LA (kinda), both offered Mather and both ended up with SCT. small world.

Cool, thanks for the tips... yeah kinda trippy about our situations. Oh I got another one: both in the process of settling down with the fiancee :buck:. We should definitely meet up at OKC.

now I know at least 3 people who switched out of NCT and they wouldn't even let me swap INTO there

LAX may be a blessing in disguise. I toured SCT and talked with one of the CPCs there (I won't mention his name). I was told the actual percentage of new developments checking out (regardless of OTS, VRA, CTI) is abysmal at SCT (and probably NCT too since it's a level 12). I dunno if the guy was just trying to scare me or something but I was told essentially that out of a class of 100 maybe 5 or fewer will actually end up actually reaching CPC status. The rest will typically be placed in lower level facilities or "separated from the FAA".

Anyways, the impression I got (don't get crazy if it's not the gospel) was historically, the best way to progress through the ATC ladder was to start off at an ARTCC as they have the best and most thorough training for new employees (despite being high level facilities). Then after you check out if you somehow manage to get a transfer to a terminal position, going to a tower is a more enjoyable experience but it assumes that you have had prior ATC experience. I was told that the TRACONs are real tough even for experienced ATCs and especially so for new employees because of their lack of familiarity with radar. The guy I talked to had 14 years exp prior to going to SCT and said he was still having trouble in the beginning.

So anyway, I think it should be better to start off at a tower than a TRACON in the beginning. If I hadn't already gotten my xfer request fulfilled to SCT, I would really be trying to move to LAX now.

Hope this info helps whoever reads it.

Yikes 5% make it? LAX projects 30-50% success rate which even that kind of scares me. I guess it is a blessing since I wanted a tower most of all and that I didn't get stuck in a Class D Level 5 somewhere with extreme cost of living.

Yea, I forgot about the fiance part. weird. We'll meet up in OKC.
As far as SCT difficulty level, I coordinated with SCT a lot while I was stationed at Naval Air Station North Island (my last duty station), they were our approach control so we took handoffs from them and coordinated releases. I'll be honest, its going to be really tough. I'm scared and I have almost 7 years of radar experience. We used to dial up the "southbay" controllers frequency and it was always busy. But honestly it sounded fun as well. The day to day really seemed to be pretty standard but there were times, like when Lindbergh Field (san diego international) would change the runway in use due to winds( they only really have one runway). They would have to completely flip around all of their traffic to SAN while keeping them separate from traffic for 4 other fields. I was listening in when a trainee was on and she was freaking out, you could hear it in her voice.

I have 3 friends that have already started there. they say, the hard part is the amount of memorization that is involved. Possibly hundreds of freqs. Tens of approach plates that you must know every fix/altitude/MVA. Its not fun. I've already told my fiance that my first couple of months I'm really going to have to dedicate myself to studying. She seems to be really understanding about it. I went out yesterday and got her a puppy. I figure he will keep her company while I'm in OKC, and he will keep her busy while I study.:nana2:

Hey,
Just got my FO phone call this morning and im heading out to the Dec 18th class for the NY tracon. Sounds like im in for some fun down in OK and when i get back to my station.

Back