OKC Preparation?

mekia

Is there anyting we can do to prepare ourselves for OKC? This sitting still is bothering me. :banghead:

I know when we get there, they are going to be constantly teaching new material, but there anything we can do now to ease the load?

Yes: save money for your new lower salary
money-saving-tips.jpg

But in all honesty, there's not much to do. You can read that big rule-book for ATCers, but it'll be hard to digest that without an instructor and classroom environment.

I'd listen to www.liveatc.net and get accustomed to the phraseology. (plus i like to listen to it just for fun:crazy:)

Yes: save money for your new lower salary
money-saving-tips.jpg

But in all honesty, there's not much to do. You can read that big rule-book for ATCers, but it'll be hard to digest that without an instructor and classroom environment.

I'd listen to www.liveatc.net and get accustomed to the phraseology. (plus i like to listen to it just for fun:crazy:)

Acyually the 7110 is pretty straight forward. It isn't like a traditional textbook designed for instruction. It is first and formost a rulebook so you can memorize a lot of it without assistance of an instructor. There is however a lot that only certain types of controllers need to now I.E. oceanic procedures etc.

Maybe a good idea for training in preparation for OKC is to pick a complex part of the 7110.65 and discuss it on the forum.

I don't think that's a good idea. Interpretations can vary and while there are opinions here I value I'll personally wait until it's taught to me the way they want the rules applied.

Personally, I am one who has been studying on my own for the past 3 years. I have used the green book, another AT-SAT prep book that the test information is outdated and a book I have everywhere I go is Michael S Nolan's Fundamentals of Air Traffic Control. I also have the 7110. I have a scanner that I listen to when I go to the airport and watch the traffic. I usually have the printed out docs about that airport, including runway info and Arrival/Departure routes. I have the Sectional Charts for LAS and DFW (the 2 airports that I have the most time at) and I study the airspace. I am the nerd that took 4 of my friends on a hike in Boulder City, NV to see the Boulder VOR. It was awesome to hike up to it then tell them all about it. They were much more interested in it once I told them its purpose. I felt like I had really learned something when I explained it and they understood.

All of the links people have put up here are helpful. Use them. ALTRACON posted a few in a sticky.

Another opinion of mine is that if you are not comfortable with the math, or were not on the test, keep practicing. There will not be a lack of it once we get started.

Just a warning, I find I feel better after studying but it also increases the desire to get to the academy and start using what I have learned and also to have an instructor teaching me.

I know there are many that are holding off until basics to learn but I think you can never be too familiar with the information. It may ease your fears a little when you arrive at the academy. If you want to do it then do it!

I say...Go on with your bad self!!!!!

Personally, I am one who has been studying on my own for the past 3 years. I have used the green book, another AT-SAT prep book that the test information is outdated and a book I have everywhere I go is Michael S Nolan's Fundamentals of Air Traffic Control. I also have the 7110. I have a scanner that I listen to when I go to the airport and watch the traffic. I usually have the printed out docs about that airport, including runway info and Arrival/Departure routes. I have the Sectional Charts for LAS and DFW (the 2 airports that I have the most time at) and I study the airspace. I am the nerd that took 4 of my friends on a hike in Boulder City, NV to see the Boulder VOR. It was awesome to hike up to it then tell them all about it. They were much more interested in it once I told them its purpose. I felt like I had really learned something when I explained it and they understood.

All of the links people have put up here are helpful. Use them. ALTRACON posted a few in a sticky.

Another opinion of mine is that if you are not comfortable with the math, or were not on the test, keep practicing. There will not be a lack of it once we get started.

Just a warning, I find I feel better after studying but it also increases the desire to get to the academy and start using what I have learned and also to have an instructor teaching me.

I know there are many that are holding off until basics to learn but I think you can never be too familiar with the information. It may ease your fears a little when you arrive at the academy. If you want to do it then do it!

Have you heard of anyone who has recieved a TOL and back ground and everything was good, but did not recieve a FOL?:confused:

I don't think that's a good idea. Interpretations can vary and while there are opinions here I value I'll personally wait until it's taught to me the way they want the rules applied.

I'm not sure what part of the 7110 you are talking about needing an interpretation. Anything not in black and white needs to be covered by best judgment. As someone else said the handbook is pretty straight forward.

I'm not sure what part of the 7110 you are talking about needing an interpretation. Anything not in black and white needs to be covered by best judgment. As someone else said the handbook is pretty straight forward.
there's grey area in ALL of the regs, 7110, 61, 91, 141,142, 121, 135 etc.
do what you want but I'll avoid armchair interpretations.

Have you heard of anyone who has recieved a TOL and back ground and everything was good, but did not recieve a FOL?:confused:

Yup...me but that FOL should be followed by a YET. It is just a matter of time once the TOL and background checks are done until you get the FOL. I had heard from my HR rep this morning and he said he should know my date by the end of the week. We'll see if that pans out but it really is only a matter of time now. How much time is a-whole-nother can 'o' worms!!! My feet are up and I am doing what is best for my head and that is studying so that I can be the best ATC I can possibly be. :rolleyes:

Hiking to a VOR? You truly are a nerd. Look!! It's a TACAN!!! OMG I want to touch it so bad. Is that a localizer over there?! A glideslope!!! Amazing!! I am so happy!! This is the best day of my life!! LOL. Funny stuff.

Hiking to a VOR? You truly are a nerd. Look!! It's a TACAN!!! OMG I want to touch it so bad. Is that a localizer over there?! A glideslope!!! Amazing!! I am so happy!! This is the best day of my life!! LOL. Funny stuff.

You have no idea!!! But hey what else is there to do in Las Vegas besides gamble your money away and get into trouble!!!! Play in the desert. I thought it was cool. It's not like I go up there every Sunday and pray to the ATC gods....maybe I should have and we wouldn't be waiting so long!!! ha ha ha I'm a nerd and proud of it. :nana2:

Actually I have a thick folder full of ATC material from the CTI program, and I have a Q and A file that I can e-mail if you all want it, the folder will take me a while, but if you are close even to Victorville, Ca to come visit I will be more than willing to study with someone else.

There's nothing wrong with being a nerd, idk about the hiking to the VOR cuz where i'm from the closest one is one someone elses property, but everything else like traffic spotting and scoping out the airspace and STARS and procedures is a really good way to get familiarized with the job. It excites you about your career choice, and it's even cooler when you know enough that other ppl ask you questions about it and are fascinated with your knowledge. All my nerds out there hold up your glasses and pocket protectors and say "Knowledge is Power!"

Get ready to memorize so many rules, that they are going to fall out of your head. When it comes to application, you are like, I know there is something I have to do here and brain fart it completely.

Get ready to memorize so many rules, that they are going to fall out of your head. When it comes to application, you are like, I know there is something I have to do here and brain fart it completely.
Some of them I know, a lot of them I don't ;)

Is there anyting we can do to prepare ourselves for OKC? This sitting still is bothering me. :banghead:

I know when we get there, they are going to be constantly teaching new material, but there anything we can do now to ease the load?
Most everything they teach you here is broken down and referenced to/from the 7110.65. Study every chapter including phraseology, aircraft models, type designators, weight classes. KNOW the wake turbulence minimas, landing & en route. If you get sick of that learn to read METARs and TAFs. Want more? Look through FAR(Part 91),the 7340.1 & 7350.7.

Back