OKC motorcycle weather?

gimpfest

whoa - another stupid question for you folks currently in or have been at OKC -

How many months out of the year could be considered motorcycle weather? appx how long do most park em down there?

Also - the drivers, do they keep an eye out for bikes? I know in some areas of the country folks just dont look.

Just thinking about cash flow, bike gets good MPG so I either bring it or sell it......

How many months out of the year could be considered motorcycle weather? appx how long do most park em down there?

Also - the drivers, do they keep an eye out for bikes? I know in some areas of the country folks just dont look.

Just thinking about cash flow, bike gets good MPG so I either bring it or sell it......
November thru February can be pretty raw for bike riding in OKC, even if there isn't ice or snow on the ground. Wind can be a factor any time of year, with gusts up to 50mph or more. Rain has been a problem this month. August 2008 broke a 100 year old record for rainfall, and there's still 10 days to go in the month.

Bottom line, don't count on a motorcycle for 100% of your transportation needs. If you bring it, you can ride it most of the time, but not all. Another consideration - I don't know if you can get an Academy student permit for more than one vehicle.

November thru February can be pretty raw for bike riding in OKC, even if there isn't ice or snow on the ground. Wind can be a factor any time of year, with gusts up to 50mph or more. Rain has been a problem this month. August 2008 broke a 100 year old record for rainfall, and there's still 10 days to go in the month.

Bottom line, don't count on a motorcycle for 100% of your transportation needs. If you bring it, you can ride it most of the time, but not all. Another consideration - I don't know if you can get an Academy student permit for more than one vehicle.
well if you want to get technical there can be sustained winds of over 100 mph, but thats only if there is a tornado (which ive never seen and ive lived in OK my whole life). realistically, its not THAT windy...in the spring we can easily get sustained 20kt surface winds with gusts in the 30s. as far as riding weather, its hit or miss, but generally speaking george is correct, nov-feb is pretty much a no go. also, i wouldnt suggest driving it to the academy in the morning. traffic around there is pretty thick and nobody is looking for a bike (except the cop that camps out on 240 in the morning). fortunately, when you get here you will be working a week of days and a week of afternoon. if im on the afternoon week ill take the bike, but never in the morning. as far as the vehicle pass goes....students get a paper pass that is good for the entire time they are scheduled to be at the academy. its not tied to any one vehicle. PM me if you have any other questions

well if you want to get technical there can be sustained winds of over 100 mph, but thats only if there is a tornado (which ive never seen and ive lived in OK my whole life).

Completely off topic... BUT... I remember when I lived there during the original May 3rd tornado... I was living up by Mercy Hospital and had a date... we were on our way to Norman, CDs blaring southbound on 35... right around Crossroads (just before 240) everyone was pulled over and in the near distance you couldn't see anything, pitch black... so we pulled over to see what was going on and the guys were talking about a tornado in Moore... so we chilled until it cleared up some more, then headed South... we drove threw probably 10 minutes after it blew threw, crap everywhere. To this day I always wonder... what if we would have just kept driving.

hmmmmmm

Winter_Bike_400.jpg

Even more off topic. But if you golf and ever wanted to hone your wind skills this would be a great place to do it.

Sorry to pirate your thread but

Speaking of golfing...

I just picked it up and was thinking about staying at fairways so I could get some golf in. Oct-Feb...should I plan on being able to golf or just go live somewhere cheaper?

pirate_kitten_011.jpg

Personally I plan on selling my motorcycle before I go just because I don't feel like dealing with the hassle of moving it everywhere. I'll just buy another in the spring. As far as the weather, I wouldn't stress that much. OKC doesn't see much snow. As far as Im concerned unless theres snow its riding weather. However something tells me after living in the mountains of Colorado and portions of WV and Pennsylvania I dont imagine I would see the same quality of twisty roads.

As for golf I was looking at fairways too, however it will be winter. I plan on taking a cheaper place and just paying winter greens fees. I doubt I will pay the 300$ difference in golf fees in a month.

As for golf I was looking at fairways too, however it will be winter. I plan on taking a cheaper place and just paying winter greens fees. I doubt I will pay the 300$ difference in golf fees in a month.

Yep, that is what I was thinking. I am considering going the roomate route though at fairways...and then its cheaper plus I get free golf...btw the course is free but there is a cart fee of 6 dollars for 9 holes or 12 for 18.

Even more off topic. But if you golf and ever wanted to hone your wind skills this would be a great place to do it.

Hood that 7-iron, boy, and learn to play a punch shot. If you can hit a low 3-wood off the deck, even better. Every golfer in TX and OK learns that shot.

It's pretty good MOST of the year if you take precautions. Get a windshield, no matter how bad it looks on the bike. You'll thank me. Dropping the money for an Aerostich would be even better, but for some reason, only people who ride UJMs and BMWs buy them. I don't know why. I loved mine. It was airport-fire-engine fluorescent yellow-green. I could be seen in the dark by the blind.

Armored mesh jacket for summer, and an electric-vest/gloves combo from Gerbing or Widder for the winter.

Ice storms, you're screwed. I was up there for this year's storm when half the city lost power.

You should try harder things:laff:

Good Lord, no - there is no end to my masochistic streak - that's true.

Golf is just very difficult for me - I haven't a coordinated athletic motor response in my body. But I do love it. Wish I had more time to play. I'm having a hard time even finding the time to FLY much less golf.

Although, my biz trip to EWR was cancelled for Monday. Ironically, it may send me to....

...wait for it....

OKC!

Back