OKC-ATC Basics

Vortmax

Hey All-does the schedule for ATC basics stay set, or are you changing schedules(times) every week? Just trying to make some plans for my second week there. I'm assuming the first day at OKC it at 0800-1500. Any input would be GREATLY appreciated.

Hey All-does the schedule for ATC basics stay set, or are you changing schedules(times) every week? Just trying to make some plans for my second week there. I'm assuming the first day at OKC it at 0800-1500. Any input would be GREATLY appreciated.

Class schedule changes every week in basics. Your first day will be 0700-1530. After that you will be 0700-1530 one week and 1530-0000 the next and so on and so forth.

I was told, when you get to your facility the shifts will be changing in the same way, they start it at the Academy to get you used to it. in Vegas they do a Day shift one week the swing the next. I have heard that the schedules are set 28 days in advance so you know what to plan for but I also know that the Ramp Controllers at LAS bid for shifts six months at a time. Not sure how the Towers will do it but it can't be that different, I imagine.

Here is the example an ATC from my facility(ZFW) gave me. This is not exact on times but fairly accurate. This is until you are certified. Once you have been certified and able to work more than one airspace at a time you will have the joy of working overnight.

Day 1- evening shift- 2pm to 10:30
Day 2-evening shift- 2pm to 10:30
Day 3-day shift- 6am to 2:30pm
Day 4-off*
Day 5-off*
Day 6-evening shift 2pm to 10:30
Day 7-day shift 6am to 2:30pm

*note days off will be during the week b/c we are newbies

Day 2-evening shift- 2pm to 10:30
Day 3-day shift- 6am to 2:30pm

Am I calculating this wrong or is that really only seven and a half hours off between these two shifts?!?

I think I have a pretty sweet schedule in Iraq right now:

Day 1 and 2 08-16
Day 3 and 4 16-00
Day 5 and 6 00-08
Day 6 and 7 Off

Not too bad I must say...

Does the FAA not have "crew rest" rules like the Air Force and DoD?

Am I calculating this wrong or is that really only seven and a half hours off between these two shifts?!?

I think I have a pretty sweet schedule in Iraq right now:

Day 1 and 2 08-16
Day 3 and 4 16-00
Day 5 and 6 00-08
Day 6 and 7 Off

Not too bad I must say...

Does the FAA not have "crew rest" rules like the Air Force and DoD?

Yeah, sweet schedule, BUT YOU'RE IN IRAQ!!! haha, j/k,(been there, done that so I can make jokes). We have crew rest in the FAA too, mandatory 8 hours between shifts. By the way, I always considered getting off at 7am and working at 7am two days later (the 6-2 schedule) only one and a half days off since you go to sleep immediately after you leave your mid shift on your Friday, truthfully only giving yourself a 48 hour break. At least in the FAA (at some facilities like mine) you get off at 3pm on friday and don't usually return to work until 2pm on your Monday for a true 71 hours off. Just my .02

HD

I was told, when you get to your facility the shifts will be changing in the same way, they start it at the Academy to get you used to it. in Vegas they do a Day shift one week the swing the next. I have heard that the schedules are set 28 days in advance so you know what to plan for but I also know that the Ramp Controllers at LAS bid for shifts six months at a time. Not sure how the Towers will do it but it can't be that different, I imagine.

Its happening at the academy because they're pushing so many classes through at a time when space is limited in the sims, etc... The RTF classes were the same. One week days, one week swings and all of us were used to working shift work already.

HD

Its happening at the academy because they're pushing so many classes through at a time when space is limited in the sims, etc... The RTF classes were the same. One week days, one week swings and all of us were used to working shift work already.

HD

What they should do is use OKC for only the OTS people. The CTI schools should all have the same kind of simulators and equipment that FAA facilities use and then direct-hire the CTI graduates into the facility. Probably will never happen but it'd sure be nice.

What they should do is use OKC for only the OTS people. The CTI schools should all have the same kind of simulators and equipment that FAA facilities use and then direct-hire the CTI graduates into the facility. Probably will never happen but it'd sure be nice.

If you have already earned a CTO you should not have to go to OKC for basics. Why the FAA decided to change this I have no idea as it is a complete waste of taxpayers money. VRA's used to go straight to their facility but even now they have to go to OKC first...what a waste...

HD

Back