Okay.... Air National Guard... some questions?

F16Flyer

Hi all,

I have some questions about the ANG. First off, I'm looking to become an airline pilot for a major airline, and have several family friends tell me that the military is the way to go, I have started taking a few lessons, and have been set on using the civilian route, but the military seems to be less expensive, and more "better tought" no offence to anyone who has gone throught the civilian route, but it's the militaty if you know what I mean.

So, how would I join? Would I go in as an enlisted men during college, then take the Officers traing class after I get my degree? Join after I get my degree with all my ratings?

Do you have to fly for the state that you are from? How do they base you?

Can you still fly for an airline? How does this all play out if an airline hires you?

Are there any deployments to countries for long periods of time? (FYI, I want to fly fighters).

Well that's about it, as always I appreciate any feedback you may have.

Thanks for your time,

It is a pretty sweet deal. After your initial intro to correct spelling class. They then pay around a million dollars to train you to be a top notch pilot. At that point you just fly around playing war games (think top gun). Deployments suck because they are generally almost a week (and you stay at the holiday inn...yuck). But if a major decides to hire you ($$$) the military is obligated to release you if you feel you have received adequate enough training from the military and you do not like getting shot at.

So how would you go about joining? Join with a degree? Join before college, then become an officer after you finish? Also how is the ANG different from that of just an Air Force pilot? And what would you do when you fly for the airlines and the ANG didn't release you? Would you fly for both?

You you also said deployments are about a week? Where do you go? And what do you do?

Sorry for all the nagginh questions, as I have been planning to go with the civialian route for a LONG time, so this is still a little hazy.

Just curious, are you in the ANG?

Thanks,
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
So how would you go about joining? Join with a degree? Join before college, then become an officer after you finish? Also how is the ANG different from that of just an Air Force pilot? And what would you do when you fly for the airlines and the ANG didn't release you? Would you fly for both?

You you also said deployments are about a week? Where do you go? And what do you do?

Sorry for all the nagginh questions, as I have been planning to go with the civialian route for a LONG time, so this is still a little hazy.

Just curious, are you in the ANG?

Thanks,
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Cory,

If you want to go military for the sole reason of building time for the airlines, you're going for all the wrong reasons, and I guarantee you'll be miserable. In fact, nowdays, going the civilian route is quicker than going the military route. The military isn't an easy life by any stretch, especially now. Throw out the Top Gun movie mentality

Have you taken notice to what our military is doing these days? Deployments from hell, to places that are so crappy, they make prisons look good. The lifestyle isn't easy. Additionally, there's no guarantee you'll fly the whole time of your 10 year, yes 10 year, flight committment. So what will you do then if you're assigned to a desk job for a few years? You sure won't be building time for the airlines then. And if for any reason you're taken out of flight status inside this 10 year time, guess what? You serve the remaining time non-flying.

Even if you go Air Guard, those guys are being deployed like crazy to fill the active duty shortfalls. Do you have any family/kids now? If so, don't plan on seeing them often

Point is, if you're only looking to go military to build hours, you'll have another thing coming. If you understand that the military is something more than just a federal flying club, you'll be somewhat prepared for what's ahead. Flying is your second job in the military, being an effective military officer and leader is your first.

[ QUOTE ]
It is a pretty sweet deal. After your initial intro to correct spelling class. They then pay around a million dollars to train you to be a top notch pilot. At that point you just fly around playing war games (think top gun). Deployments suck because they are generally almost a week (and you stay at the holiday inn...yuck). But if a major decides to hire you ($$$) the military is obligated to release you if you feel you have received adequate enough training from the military and you do not like getting shot at.

[/ QUOTE ]

laugh.gif

mad.gif
Well I didn't want to hear that.
crazy.gif

But I see your point. It's still a ways away for me, as I just started my 2nd year of High School. Yes, I really only want to join the ANG/Air Force to build flight time, and become a more well-rounded person.

Using the civilian route seems for of an adventure than anything, and it takes all your money, plus I have college that needs to be paid, I'm planning on living away from my home, so I have to be on my own, it's going to be tough. I just hope the AF/ANG wouldn't be so expensive.

Oh well, "lifes' a box of chocolates, ya never know what ya gonna get"

cool.gif

[ QUOTE ]
mad.gif
Well I didn't want to hear that.
crazy.gif

But I see your point. It's still a ways away for me, as I just started my 2nd year of High School. Yes, I really only want to join the ANG/Air Force to build flight time, and become a more well-rounded person.

[/ QUOTE ]

Like I said, you won't like life if that's your only desire for flying military. Especially when the desk job comes......or your stuck in the middle of Iraq getting your ass shot at while living in rathole conditions in 118 degree heat for 6 months at a time.

How does it work if you're already a pilot and want to join ANG? Lets say I'm 26 and have built a few years at a regional flying RJ's and I decide I want to join ANG, how would that work?

How much time would be spent away from work. Would I be guaranteed a chance to fly? How long would training take? Do I have to have previous military experience? What would my obligations be to the military? Already being a pilot must be worth something right?

How unrealistic is it to think that ANG would simply be a cool way to get to fly fighters every now and then?

[ QUOTE ]
How does it work if you're already a pilot and want to join ANG? Lets say I'm 26 and have built a few years at a regional flying RJ's and I decide I want to join ANG, how would that work?

[/ QUOTE ]

Same as someone applying off the street.

[ QUOTE ]

How much time would be spent away from work. Would I be guaranteed a chance to fly? How long would training take? Do I have to have previous military experience? What would my obligations be to the military? Already being a pilot must be worth something right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Expect to be out of the airlines for at least up to two years for training. You'd owe the same obligation out of pilot training as active.

[ QUOTE ]

How unrealistic is it to think that ANG would simply be a cool way to get to fly fighters every now and then?

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, obsolete way of thinking. Might have been true back when we had a large active-duty military and the ANG did little deployment committment. But the days of two weekends a month are essentially over. With all the taskings we have to all the crappy places there is to go in this world, be prepared to go to many of them, for lenghty periods of time, and probably sit for a while. If you want the flying, transports are the way to go for hours.

But trust me, there's nothing "cool" about sitting in the middle of Iraq/Afghan in a crappy tent, in the heat, eating MREs, and flying very little.
crazy.gif

Back