Oh... What were you thinking?

I guess if the report says he was trying to prime, he was trying to prime. The C182B POH from 1959 has this in it though:

I did it a few times, triple checking that mags and mixture were off before doing so. Tried to use proper hand prop technique but a cold O-470 doesn't seem like it would be easy to hand prop without bad things happening. Doesn't seem necessary at any temperature Mississippi would offer though.
Some preachers like to say forever and ever and ever, but I think forever covers it. -Fr. Guido Sarducci

I find that triple checking leads more typically to uncertainty and confusion than it does to success. Do it. Check it. Be confidently done with it.

Re: the 180/182 discussion Compression strokes on a 6 cylinder are too close together. Only way I’m trying to handprop one of those is if it’s literally a loss of life/limb/aircraft situation if I can’t get it started.

Nope. Never done it.

Well. Except that one time in a cub. On floats.

... you forgot "inverted" "at night" "over water", etc. (to include appropriate arm and hand gesticulations) ;)

I was taught how to hand prop as an A/P student. I've only used that particular skill set once out in the field. Besides making sure that the airplane can't move the other point that was drilled into our heads was to make sure you pull the prop through while also throwing your entire weight away from it. Do they not teach these things today?

I was taught how to hand prop as an A/P student. I've only used that particular skill set once out in the field. Besides making sure that the airplane can't move the other point that was drilled into our heads was to make sure you pull the prop through while also throwing your entire weight away from it. Do they not teach these things today?

Never did it until flying a GA-7 Cougar. Pulling the props through is in the book, so my MEI showed me how to pull and fall away. Reminds me of a golf swing, actually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Never did it until flying a GA-7 Cougar. Pulling the props through is in the book, so my MEI showed me how to pull and fall away. Reminds me of a golf swing, actually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Judging by my golf swing, hand propping is something I shall avoid.

Back