Oh... What were you thinking?

fholbert

Mod's - Please don't edit my posts!
February 15, 2020
Narrative:
Fire destroyed a running, but unpiloted, Van's RV-8A, amateur built by Richard Macias Sr, when it struck an aircraft hangar at Columbus-Lowndes County Airport (UBS/KUBS), Mississippi.
The pilot sustained minor injuries in the event.
When attempting to prime the airplane's engine by manually moving the propeller the engine started unexpectedly.

_5e48fca880205N7736T.JPG

What’s the first rule of hand-propping an airplane children?

That’s right! You must always have a qualified pilot at the controls.

Spoken by someone who most likely never owned a plane you had to hand prop. Plenty of guys safety hand propping airplanes by themselves. Can’t always hope someone will be there when you go to solo your cub etc. As stated above you would normally have mags off when priming. If you by yourself and starting you could do a number of different things to prevent run away. Wheel chocks, tie the tail to a post etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think that's the first rule if handpropping a jet :D

Actually it is about handpropping an airplane not intended to be hand-propped.

Aren't there a lot of planes where you have to do that? It's just typically you do it with the mags off.

The only plausible way I could see it being turned over by hand while priming would be to have used the accelerator pump then turn the propeller by hand to introduce the fuel to the intake manifold/ cylinders. That would still be done with the magnetos off.

The only plausible way I could see it being turned over by hand while priming would be to have used the accelerator pump then turn the propeller by hand to introduce the fuel to the intake manifold/ cylinders. That would still be done with the magnetos off.
You really don't need to suck anything into the cylinders for the accelerator pump to adequately prime.

None of this makes any sense...you either have a fuel injected engine where you run the boost pump, or a carbed engine where you use the primer. What kind of guy/gal invests hundreds of hours into building an RV and doesn’t hook up...one of those...when s/he can do it him/herself?

Oh, right, you half assed it in typical GA fashion. ‘Murica.

FWIW my personal rental insurance climbed 7% this year while our jet insurance actually fell slightly.

Last edited:
None of this makes any sense...you either have a fuel injected engine where you run the boost pump, or a carbed engine where you use the primer. What kind of guy/gal invests hundreds of hours into building an RV and doesn’t hook up...one of those...when s/he can do it him/herself?

Oh, right, you half assed it in typical GA fashion. ‘Murica.

FWIW my personal rental insurance climbed 7% this year while our jet insurance actually fell slightly.
Again, there's no need to pull the prop through to prime. That's not a thing on a lycoming that ever needs to be done(for that purpose). Even on a carbed engine with an accelerator pump and no primer. It'll start just fine without doing god knows what he thought he was doing.

I guess if the report says he was trying to prime, he was trying to prime. The C182B POH from 1959 has this in it though:

prop.JPG

I did it a few times, triple checking that mags and mixture were off before doing so. Tried to use proper hand prop technique but a cold O-470 doesn't seem like it would be easy to hand prop without bad things happening. Doesn't seem necessary at any temperature Mississippi would offer though.

I guess if the report says he was trying to prime, he was trying to prime. The C182B POH from 1959 has this in it though:

View attachment 51529

I did it a few times, triple checking that mags and mixture were off before doing so. Tried to use proper hand prop technique but a cold O-470 doesn't seem like it would be easy to hand prop without bad things happening. Doesn't seem necessary at any temperature Mississippi would offer though.
Ya, that's not priming.

The video... on skis. Screw that. I carry a jump pack. And an inreach. He's on lake george, he could have had a fresh battery there in like an hour tops.

Spoken by someone who most likely never owned a plane you had to hand prop. Plenty of guys safety hand propping airplanes by themselves. Can’t always hope someone will be there when you go to solo your cub etc. As stated above you would normally have mags off when priming. If you by yourself and starting you could do a number of different things to prevent run away. Wheel chocks, tie the tail to a post etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nope. Never done it.

Well. Except that one time in a cub. On floats.

It even works good and lasts a long time when done w/out a pilot at the controls when you chock/tie the plane and adjust the engine controls correctly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aaaaaaaaand this is why all insurance premiums went up 20-40% in 2020. Thanks Obama.
If he gets a new aircraft out of this... well... I'm gonna be miffed. Then I'm gonna go out and try to replicate on some tired old birds hibernating on the ramp. I like money.

Back