Officially Initiated Into the Aviation World

Windchill

Just yesterday I passed my PPL checkride! Had my fiance meet me out at the airport when I returned--we went to lunch, and then I flew her to Baltimore (MTN) so she could see it with a greater view than a side window of a commercial airliner.

We flew in during the afternoon so she could see it during the daylight, then waited until dark so she could see it lit up at night on the return trip.

Now it's time to figure out the next step/route.

[ QUOTE ]
Just yesterday I passed my PPL checkride! Had my fiance meet me out at the airport when I returned--we went to lunch, and then I flew her to Baltimore (MTN) so she could see it with a greater view than a side window of a commercial airliner.

We flew in during the afternoon so she could see it during the daylight, then waited until dark so she could see it lit up at night on the return trip.

Now it's time to figure out the next step/route.

[/ QUOTE ]

hope you were night current
cool.gif

hope you were night current
cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That's actually a pretty good question....does your currency end 90 days from the day your certificate is issued, or after you've not had 3 takeoffs and landings (to a full stop...) at night?

What about instrument currency? Is it 6 months after your cert is issued, or after not having complied with the requirements? Hmmm...anybody wanna take a shot?

my best shot would be.....
the certificate date has nothing to do with it. The currency req's would still be in effect and go back 90 days/six months regardless of when you passed the ride.

Whelp... If we open our hymnals to Part 61.57(3)(b) it spells it out...

(b) Night takeoff and landing experience. (1) Except as provided in paragraph (e) of this section, no person may act as pilot in command of an aircraft carrying passengers during the period beginning 1 hour after sunset and ending 1 hour before sunrise, unless within the preceding 90 days that person has made at least three takeoffs and three landings to a full stop during the period beginning 1 hour after sunset and ending 1 hour before sunrise, and --

(i) That person acted as sole manipulator of the flight controls; and

(ii) The required takeoffs and landings were performed in an aircraft of the same category, class, and type (if a type rating is required).

------------------

In terms of Instrument currency...

c) Instrument experience. Except as provided in paragraph (e) of this section, no person may act as pilot in command under IFR or in weather conditions less than the minimums prescribed for VFR, unless within the preceding 6 calendar months, that person has:

(1) For the purpose of obtaining instrument experience in an aircraft (other than a glider), performed and logged under actual or simulated instrument conditions, either in flight in the appropriate category of aircraft for the instrument privileges sought or in a flight simulator or flight training device that is representative of the aircraft category for the instrument privileges sought --

(i) At least six instrument approaches;

(ii) Holding procedures; and

(iii) Intercepting and tracking courses through the use of navigation systems.

Hope this helps!

Paul

Rest assured,

I did have the required 3 full-stop takeoffs and landings at night in the same aircraft within the preceding 90 days.

Or else it would have been up and around the block for us.

Back