Off Airport Landing

Good job handling the issue. Your student should tip you well for that - and not just for the outcome. Those kinds of lessons are INCREDIBLY valuable, and your student got to experience an emergency first-hand under the guidance of a CFI. If there was ever a teachable moment, that's damn sure one. I say again, good job sir.

Being mechanically inclined but knowing nothing about airplane mechs, what else is in play here?
A push rod doesn’t just bend. It bends because a valve sticks. Most likely what happened is the mech tried one of the various tricks to free the valve AND replaced the push rod and the OP just didn’t get all the details, but unfortunately there are people out there who wouldn’t know or would try to shortcut.

I had an interesting day today. I was in a school 172 flying with my student in our local practice area doing maneuvers when a loud bang gets my attention immediately followed by violent engine vibration and loss of RPM. I look down at my engine instruments and oil pressure seems constant. The engine however feels as though it's making half power at best surging from 1000-2200 RPM. My immediate thought is the engine is compromised and I need a field. Off my side I see a decent field with some dirt roads in between oriented east into the wind. I head to the field and circle and try to think through my options. I am able to maintain altitude and notify approach of the situation. They clear me direct to the field which is approx 25 miles away. I do another circle and reason I do not feel comfortable flying the plane back over a populated area when unsure about the engines integrity. So I commit to making the precautionary off airport landing which is uneventful with no damage to the a/c. After I inspect the engine cowling I clearly see a bent push rod and oil loss. I wait around for the school mechanics and the fsdo safety inspector who checks the plane quickly then lets the mechanics do their thing. This was my first actual power plant related emergency. Just interesting to me how you get into such a groove of normality with instruction that you start to think that these types of occurances are few and far between but they do happen. I'm just glad it wasn't a total power loss and that my student, the plane, and myself are safe.

Nice Job! Glad you're ok. Sounds like you kept your cool, kept your focus, and made a good decision.

As I read your first four sentences, and was almost certain your 12th sentence was coming. I had precisely the same thing happen -same model, same jug- during a delivery flight. Mine was in a foreign country where ATC English did not extend to off-script events, and an off-airport landing would likely have been worse than a crash. That added a bit of spice to the dish, but same recipe.

Who'da thunk the vibe from a bent push-rod could create such a fracas and caterwauling? I initially thought the engine was going to depart its mount.

When did it happen? Just randomly in flight? Or in response to a change or input? Mine happened as I reduced power for initial descent out of a long, high cruise.

Our problem resulted from crap fuel. Yup, I checked it. Yup, it smelled funny. Yup, I had doubts. But also, yup, it was the ONLY option available. I ended up replacing the whole jug. I'd advise you look into that. Simply replacing the push-rod is likely insufficient. Also, be glad you had your problem in the US; Maintenance on an N-reg in certain international locations is a serious PITA.

EDIT:
Your mechanic sucks if he thinks just replacing the push rod will do it.
@Roger Roger is correct. Bent push-rods almost always happen because of bad/stuck valves - or something worse; rarely, if ever, is it just a bad push-rod.

Last edited by a moderator:
I made an off-airport landing in the mountains of New Mexico. Fun stuff! My first engine failure was directly over an airport so it was a non-event. Now go get a gorilla fart! You earned it! Welcome to the club...

Gorilla fart:
1 part Bacardi 151
1 part Turkey 101

I made an off-airport landing in the mountains of New Mexico. Fun stuff! My first engine failure was directly over an airport so it was a non-event. Now go get a gorilla fart! You earned it! Welcome to the club...

Gorilla fart:
1 part Bacardi 151
1 part Turkey 101
What do you know, you don't even show up to m&g. Haha. How's the popcorn? You out of the tent?

Your mechanic sucks if he thinks just replacing the push rod will do it.

Most likely poor explanation on my part. That was just what they said when they initially got on scene. "We'll free the valve replace the rod and see from there". Turns out they found a seized lifter too and looked a little deeper. I spoke with three different mechanics today and they all explained it a little different to me. Apparently the rod bend was a secondary event. There was some sort of failure of the wheel portion of the cam follower because they found pieces of it internally. From my understanding this piece bouncing around caused the exhaust value on cylinder 2 to stick which caused cylinder pressures so hot and high it froze the lifter and blew out the intake push rod. So basically cylinder 2 was inop with the three others making partial power as the metal follower bounced around the crankcase. Sorry to all the mechanics if I'm explaining this wrong, I'm still trying to understand it myself from the three explanations I got. It looks now they are looking at replacing the entire engine. The a/c is still at the farm I landed at. If any mechanics can provide better explanations please do, I would like to know more.

What do you know, you don't even show up to m&g. Haha. How's the popcorn? You out of the tent?

It’s down and the knock down is up! Started paining the bedrooms now. House reeks like paint and chemicals though o_O

...Me and a buddy start gutting the master bath this week when I finish my trip on Tuesday. I feel like the year just started and everything is already happening rapid-fire.

Most likely poor explanation on my part. That was just what they said when they initially got on scene. "We'll free the valve replace the rod and see from there". Turns out they found a seized lifter too and looked a little deeper. I spoke with three different mechanics today and they all explained it a little different to me. Apparently the rod bend was a secondary event. There was some sort of failure of the wheel portion of the cam follower because they found pieces of it internally. From my understanding this piece bouncing around caused the exhaust value on cylinder 2 to stick which caused cylinder pressures so hot and high it froze the lifter and blew out the intake push rod. So basically cylinder 2 was inop with the three others making partial power as the metal follower bounced around the crankcase. Sorry to all the mechanics if I'm explaining this wrong, I'm still trying to understand it myself from the three explanations I got. It looks now they are looking at replacing the entire engine. The a/c is still at the farm I landed at. If any mechanics can provide better explanations please do, I would like to know more.
Don’t let them try and convince you to fly it out of the field if they fix it there. That’s what my old boss tried to convince me to do. :smoke:

Knowing Lycoming engines a little, I’d hazard a guess that the origin was a stuck valve and everything else including the broken roller tappet was secondary. I have had an issue with a lifter one time, but stuck valves are pretty well known on Lycs and could cause all the other damage you mentioned.

Yep, better wishing to be up there, and not down here. Excellent call.

As a fellow powerplant failures vet, what you did is the first thing we should aim for. Prepare for an imminent landing.

Back