OCVT for 3rd Class - Failed. What next?

Flyecosse

I'm trying to get the restriction of "No night flying or by light signal control" removed and did the OCVT. I had no issues identifying colors on the paper chart and got the signals correct at 1000ft; however, at 1500ft I got mixed up with the white/green.

History:
I did a few test runs with the same tower with no problems prior to the test.
I'm mid 30's, nearsighted, and had my first pair of glasses about 1.5yrs ago. No vision exam since then.
My aspirations are only for private/recreational flying.

I'm guessing the outcome when I hear back from the FAA will be that the restriction remains.

I've read that OCVT is a one shot gig... If that restriction is indeed permanent (I know I can retake the OCVT at night), do I have any chance of getting to redo the OCVT during the day if my next eye exam results in an updated prescription. I couldn't really see a halo around the light so I'm guessing my vision is still somewhat blurry at 1500ft.

Thoughts/advice?

Medical standards exist for a reason. You shouldn't be in an airplane if you can't meet them. It's sad, I know (believe me, I know) but that's the way of things. Remember you can still fly an airplane during the day time. And if you really want or need to fly at night, take an instructor with you. There's no shame in that.

That said, seek a second (or third, etc.)opinion from another AME. One thing I have learned is that while all AME's are created equal, they don't all stay that way.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm trying to get the restriction of "No night flying or by light signal control" removed and did the OCVT. I had no issues identifying colors on the paper chart and got the signals correct at 1000ft; however, at 1500ft I got mixed up with the white/green.

History:
I did a few test runs with the same tower with no problems prior to the test.
I'm mid 30's, nearsighted, and had my first pair of glasses about 1.5yrs ago. No vision exam since then.
My aspirations are only for private/recreational flying.

I'm guessing the outcome when I hear back from the FAA will be that the restriction remains.

I've read that OCVT is a one shot gig... If that restriction is indeed permanent (I know I can retake the OCVT at night), do I have any chance of getting to redo the OCVT during the day if my next eye exam results in an updated prescription. I couldn't really see a halo around the light so I'm guessing my vision is still somewhat blurry at 1500ft.

Thoughts/advice?
Had you taken a farnsworth lantern test prior to attempting the OCVT? That was the only test I could pass and I was able to get a waiver before they enacted the OCVT. Thankfully I made it in before the cutoff. I think that once you take the OCVT you can't go back and get a new medical unless you pass the night one. Should be a lot easier at night and make sure you get an updated prescription so your eyes are as sharp as they can be.

Had you taken a farnsworth lantern test prior to attempting the OCVT? That was the only test I could pass and I was able to get a waiver before they enacted the OCVT. Thankfully I made it in before the cutoff. I think that once you take the OCVT you can't go back and get a new medical unless you pass the night one. Should be a lot easier at night and make sure you get an updated prescription so your eyes are as sharp as they can be.
Request 20/15 prescription lenses. I did and the optician gave me the secret 'pilot handshake.'

Back