Octoberwest PRC

derg

Apparently a "terse" writer
Staff member
So what's the scoop with the "40's Dance" thing during Octoberwest thing?

Do ya think this years Octoberwest warrants a drive up from PHX?

Hey doug, I,m a new distant learning student at ERAU and I have not heard of Octoberwest, what is that all about?

What are the dates? Perhaps I can "recommend" to our company a trip to coincide with this.

Seems as though there will be swing dancing (?) with a dance and costume contest. Not sure if that is for alumni or current students.

Sorry I couldn't help.

Do you know if they will be serving alcohol or not?

Cheers

Craig

If they're serving brewskies, I might make the trek. But if it's just a sock hop with some punch and egregious pimping of alumni for donations, no thanks!
smile.gif

Doug, heres an email that i received. I belive the hanger party they are having is free to alumni, but you have to sign up somewhere.

"Octoberwest is just around the corner! Mark your calendars for October 2-5 for a weekend packed with fun, friendship and activities for the entire family. This year?s event is a very special occasion as the Prescott campus celebrates its 25th anniversary. 2003 also marks the Centennial of Powered Flight and the 75th anniversary of the Prescott Municipal Airport To commemorate these three significant milestones in aviation history, Embry-Riddle, the City of Prescott and local aviation businesses and organizations have combined forces to present ?Prescott Air Fair 2003? on October 4th at the Prescott Airport. Octoberwest and the Prescott Air Fair are blended together to create a spectacular weekend for aviation enthusiasts of all ages."

Prescott Air Fair 2003? opens at 7am with the EAA?s annual Pancake Breakfast and Young Eagle Flights. Air Fair 2003 Admission is Free and Parking is $3.

Static displays will feature the Commemorative Air Force?s B-17 ?Sentimental Journey,? a Lockheed Super Constellation, a DC-3, a Ford Tri-Motor, a variety of helicopters and many more. The Red Tail Project?s P-51 Mustang will be on display as part of an educational program to honor the heroism of the Tuskegee Airmen during World War II. ERAU Alumni will fly-in with a variety of Military and Civilian Airplanes and Helicopters. Purchase raffle tickets for rides in many vintage aircraft or buy a ?reserved seat? on your favorite plane! Tethered Hot-Air Balloon rides (weather permitting) will be offered free of charge.

Air Fair 2003, keynote speaker Scott Crossfield will present a program at 2 p.m. at Love Field titled ?Onward and Upward,? about research planes and the people who fly them. Crossfield was the first person to fly at Mach 2 and Mach 3 and was a test pilot for such aircraft as the T-39 and the X-15. Over the years he has been a U.S. Navy fighter pilot, chief wind tunnel operator, chief engineering test pilot, and an Apollo Program system director.

Saturday evening, Embry-Riddle will hold a Hangar Party/ USO Show at 6:30 p.m. in the large hangar at the Flight Training Center. The event will include a 1940s-style Swing Dance with a sixteen-piece orchestra featuring local favorite Danny Anderson and the Big Band sounds of Swing Shift. Other performers include Java Jive ? performing Andrews Sisters? tunes and the popular ?Geritol Hipsters.? The evening will feature dinner and dancing along with contests for Best 1940s Costumes and Best Dancers. Summer Hinton and Danny Levie, professional swing dancers/teachers, will demonstrate dance techniques and judge the dance contest.

Tickets for the Hangar Party are $15 per person for advance tickets -or- $20 at the door. Price includes dinner. (Beer and mixed drinks available at cash bar.)

*** Students may purchase tickets at $10 each and may use flexi-dollars at the Chartwells? Hanger or pay cash at the ERAU bookstore. ***

Come on out and enjoy Octoberwest and the Prescott Air Fair 2003! For more information, visit our web site at http://www.erau.edu/pr/alumni/index.html or to register online http://www.erau.edu/pr/alumni/octwestreg.html If you have any questions call Kelly at 777-4710.

Highlights of October West activities include:

Thursday, October 2nd

Industry Expo ? Activities Center

DLC Open House & Reception ? 3:00 pm

Early Bird Alumni Reception at ?The Office? on Cortez St. ? 7pm

Friday, October 3rd
14th Annual Alumni Golf Tournament at Talking Rock Ranch

11am ? 1pm Lunch & Range Balls

1pm Shotgun Start

Aircraft Fly-in all day ? Formation flight over Campus and City at 5pm.

Alumni Reception and Happy Hour at St. Michael?s Hotel ? 7pm.

Saturday, October 4th
?Prescott Air Fair 2003? ? Gates open at 7am,

EAA - Pancake Breakfast

Planes & Helicopters

Hot Air Balloon Rides

EAA - Bratwurst Lunch

Lots of Food / Fun

German Beer Garden

Games for Kids!

Vintage Aircraft / Red Tail Project

Old Time Movies!

Scott Crossfield Presentation 2pm - 3pm

Alumni Athletics 12:00 ? 2:00pm Wrestling

2:00pm ? 4:00pm Soccer

4:00pm ? 6:00pm Volley Ball

USO Show/Hangar Party with 1940?s Big Band and Swing Dancing ? 6:30 pm ? 11pm

Dinner, Dancing and Drinks

Danny Anderson and the Big Band sounds of Swing Shift, Java Jive and the Geritol Hipsters

Tickets $15 in advance

$20 at the door

Students $10

*** Alumni & Guest FREE ****

Yeah Doug, come on up! You're alumni, so it will only cost you for gas! Sounds like a deal to me, and there is always something fun to do around Octoberwest in PRC. "Beer, at ERAU ?...........Naaaaaaaaahhhhhhh!!!""

Woo! A checkride AND Octoberwest on the same day? Just look for the ERAU Seminole rockin' its wings at the crowd on the circle-to-land from 500'... Might not be very impressive, but it'll score a dirty look from the examiner and a note on his clipboard (*dramatic chord*). Awright!
grin.gif

Back