Oct. 2nd Academy

So are we supposed to e-mail them ahead of time with where we're going to be staying? Or does that just pertain to any stay points along your trip TO OKC? I was kind of confused about that, going to call tomorrow AM and be sure. I have no idea where I am staying on the way up, as I'm just going to drive as long as I can before I stop. Want to try and get there mid morning/early afternoon on Wednesday so I have time to unpack, stock up and grab some R&R.

I don't think they are reimbursing travel expenses to OKC on an itemized basis like that. They will pay you either the government mileage rate or the governement contract airfare from your permanent address (whichever is lower). The new credit card payment process I think only applies to your temporary housing once you arrive in OKC. So you would email your reservation confirmation only for the apartment in OKC or wherever else you find lodging.

Okay, read it over again last night and kind of come to the same conclusion. Now to call Spanish Gardens and get some kind of confirmation lol Just waiting on them to open.. stupid time zones!

Ok I called student housing and yes the new policy is mandatory. The only exceptions are the ones listed on the flyer so we all have to get an FAA confirmation number at our place of lodging and forward that on to the FAA. Here is my beef:

a) I went to a cheap apartment so that I could pocket the extra per diem. Now I don't have that option and I would love to be in a stately mansion for $50/day instead of something that's $32/day.
b) If your place of lodging does not accept credit cards you could be about $400-600 richer per month than the rest of us (or about a $2000-$2500 discrepancy in disposable income for the duration of the class). Not to sound greedy but that sucks!!!!

The new policy is entirely fair to the feds and I understand why they implemented it, but it is not fair to this first class which made arrangments (on our own albeit considering the FAA never once offers useful information until the last minute) based on the expectation of receiving a full per diem of $79.20/day regardless of your choice in housing. Oh well, see you guys in OKC.

Ok I called student housing and yes the new policy is mandatory. The only exceptions are the ones listed on the flyer so we all have to get an FAA confirmation number at our place of lodging and forward that on to the FAA. Here is my beef:

a) I went to a cheap apartment so that I could pocket the extra per diem. Now I don't have that option and I would love to be in a stately mansion for $50/day instead of something that's $32/day.
b) If your place of lodging does not accept credit cards you could be about $400-600 richer per month than the rest of us (or about a $2000-$2500 discrepancy in disposable income for the duration of the class). Not to sound greedy but that sucks!!!!

The new policy is entirely fair to the feds and I understand why they implemented it, but it is not fair to this first class which made arrangments (on our own albeit considering the FAA never once offers useful information until the last minute) based on the expectation of receiving a full per diem of $79.20/day regardless of your choice in housing. Oh well, see you guys in OKC.

That’s strange....student services says its not mandatory....either way I will be looking for a place that does not except credit cards...i want the extra $400-$600 a month

I decided to call student services again....they are now saying it is mandatory unless your staying somewhere that does not accept credit cards.

It would be nice if everyone in student services were on the same page!!!!

That’s strange....student services says its not mandatory....either way I will be looking for a place that does not except credit cards...i want the extra $400-$600 a month

I decided to call student services again....they are now saying it is mandatory unless your staying somewhere that does not accept credit cards.

It would be nice if everyone in student services were on the same page!!!!

What number have you called? 954-3923 says it is mandatory but when I called 954-3081 (the number on the brochure) they say it is NOT mandatory. I'm with you, I have no idea.

What number have you called? 954-3923 says it is mandatory but when I called 954-3081 (the number on the brochure) they say it is NOT mandatory. I'm with you, I have no idea.

Both times I called 954-3923......received two different answers

We need to get them all on one call. Let's set up a time, we can use my conference bridge. :mad:

But seriously... they should have known they were going to get a huge influx of questions, it seems odd they don't have a list of talking points they reviewed before it went public.

Try calling 954-3081 and leave a message if they don't answer. They should call back. I talked to Janet at that number and she said it was not mandatory.
waiting for them to return my call
We need to get them all on one call. Let's set up a time, we can use my conference bridge. :mad:

But seriously... they should have known they were going to get a huge influx of questions, it seems odd they don't have a list of talking points they reviewed before it went public.

Student Services says this is suppose to simplify ATC trainee expenses. I am sure it would be simple if everyone was on the same page. It seems like to me this us just going to piss some people off, thats just my .02.....

It doesn't really simplify things when you give people so many options and let's face it finances are an issue while we are out there. Having options is ok but having one options that pays x amount and another that pays x + $600 is not really the way to go.

Back