Obama touts middle-class task force led by Biden

Firebird2XC

Obama touts middle-class task force led by Biden

WASHINGTON – President Barack Obama signed a series of executive orders Friday that he said should "level the playing field" for labor unions in their struggles with management. Obama also used the occasion at the White House to announce formally a new White House task force on the problems of middle-class Americans. He named Vice President Joe Biden as its chairman.

Entire article-

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090130/ap_on_go_pr_wh/obama_labor

Send your suggestions straight to the VP!

http://www.whitehouse.gov/strongmiddleclass/

I already threw some his way.

This is the chance and the change airline labor groups have needed for YEARS. At last, a chance to fairly negotiate for our livelihoods has appeared on the horizon.

I wonder if we can get them to repeal the RLA. People have so many choices in travel these days singular airlines aren't "vital to the national transportation infrastructure".

Interesting.

They got my fill about the RLA and leveling the labor vs. management playing field with updated legislation with quicker access to self help initiatives.

I watched the press coverage for this on CSPAN earlier today. Good stuff! It was nice to hear the Pres./ VP acknowledge union leaders in the audience and suggest that change was on it's way. :nana2:

It's good to know the new administration is showing loyalty. The unions and groups that made large campaign contributions are getting paid back.

It's good to know the new administration is showing loyalty. The unions and groups that made large campaign contributions are getting paid back.

Yup.

Everyone else has a lobbying agent. Only fair, right?

We're not wall street investment bankers swooning over capitalistic theories and bowing down to low taxes for the uber-rich.

We're middle class Americans seeking a fair playing field to improve our respective professions.

We've been shut out of the process for eight years, it's nice to see someone opening the door.

As far as large campaign contributions, have data to back that statement up? Large in what terms? Large to one single party? Large to one single individual? Or just generalization with no substance?

PAC's distribute money to all candidates, of all parties, equally depending on the amount of funds in the PAC. Since we're talking about unions and not individuals.

I wonder if we can get them to repeal the RLA. People have so many choices in travel these days singular airlines aren't "vital to the national transportation infrastructure".

You all need to consider what you are suggesting. By repealing the RLA it gives airline management the ability to unilaterally change work rules and pay scales upon a contract's amendable date (which would become an expiration date if the RLA is appealed). I think what we need is some labor friendly people on the NMB not a full repeal of the RLA.

On the flip side, it also gives labor the ability to walk off the job on the amendable date. I'd either never have worked for PCL since they would have ceased to exist or we'd have had a new contract 5 years ago in that case.

The RLA is WAAY too slanted towards management. Even with labor friendly NMB members, you're still looking at a year or two past the ammendable date if an impasse is finally called.

Back