Oath of Enlistment

Blackhawk

I've said it many times. I said it when I was enlisted, then several times (though slightly different), as an officer.

Last week it was a little more emotional for me. I said it as I swore my 18 year old daughter into the Army.

She had a very successful freshman year. Athletically, started several games. Played every game. Several nominations as conference best defender. Academically did well.

Christmas break she announced that she has dropped out of school, quit the soccer team and is enlisting. Qualified for every job, to include nuclear power in the Navy. Nope. Combat engineer. No bonus.:bang:

Now it was humorous watching her mom, with her airborne and rigger wings, trying to tell her that airborne school was not a good idea. Might get hurt.

I should not be surprised. Before she was even born I could feel her kicking the crap out of my wife, trying to get out. As a toddler she was put into "solitary confinement" when she was in pre-K. She would always try to wake up the other kids during nap time.

Still, I will always see the little girl who wanted me to lie down on her floor when she went to bed. Not some kid being a sapper.

Last edited:
I've said it many times. I said it when I was enlisted, then several times (though slightly different), as an officer.

Last week it was a little more emotional for me. I said it as I swore my 18 year old daughter into the Army.

She had a very successful freshman year. Athletically, started several games. Played every game. Several nominations as conference best defender. Academically did well.

Christmas break she announced that she has dropped out of school, quit the soccer team and is enlisting. Qualified for every job, to include nuclear power in the Navy. Nope. Combat engineer. No bonus.:bang:

Now it was humorous watching her mom, with her airborne and rigger wings, trying to tell her that airborne school was not a good idea. Might get hurt.

I should not be surprised. Before she was even born I could feel her kicking the crap out of my wife, trying to get out. As a toddler she was put into "solitary confinement" when she was in pre-K. She would always try to wake up the other kids during nap time.

Still, I will always see the little girl who wanted me to lie down on her floor when she went to bed. Not some kid being a sapper.

Congrats!!!!!!.

My oldest daughter asked me over Christmas break to help her prepare a NROTC package :)

Congrats!!!!!!.

My oldest daughter asked me over Christmas break to help her prepare a NROTC package :)

My daughter had an ROTC scholarship that she is walking away from. In addition she was applying to the academies and just got her congressional nomination. Had to write the congressman's office and decline it.

@Blackhawk

Wow. It is always difficult when you've raised a child and they finally become an adult and start making more of their own decisions and suddenly they see/know the plan that they want to follow down life's road. I am often, but pleasantly/happily surprised at what I have seen, experienced, heard about and read about young people accomplishing. They can be amazing, truly outstanding as human beings, even at a young age. Obviously she knows discipline, is level headed, understands hard work, is determined and has drive.

You have done your job raising her and done it well. She will always be your baby, I get that, believe me. Just trust her and know she is a fine young woman who is on her way to her own identity, her own reality, discoveries and a remarkable life. She will make you as proud as she is of you. I know it. She can always finish school. (hopefully sooner rather than later)

She'll still need you and her Mom, and you will still be there for her as she maneuvers through this huge first step. That really won't change so much.

I look forward to hearing more of how she does. Congrats to both of you. Be proud and be grateful for the young woman that you have devoted so much of your life to. She's going to be okay. :)

I dont know about that. Missouri is a place of surprises. Do you know which company she is going to be in? I was with bravo 31st.

Good for her, and congrats! I'm sure leaving college, and/or rejecting ROTC and service academy scholarships probably seems weird, but it is cool that she chose her own path. If I had a dollar for every one of my Sailors who had a retired O-6 or above parent at their re-enlistment ceremony, I'd at least have lunch. Sounds like she has a strong head on her shoulders and will do well.

I dont know about that. Missouri is a place of surprises. Do you know which company she is going to be in? I was with bravo 31st.

I think since she is going combat engineers that is now done in 35th BN which is a OSUT BN for combat and bridge engineers. Looking at the current cycles she'll either be Bravo or Delta company.

Yea I did my AIT with the charlie 35th. I was a split. I think OSUT is the way to go. Get it done all at once. At least she will have the chow hall not to far away and they also have new barracks (actually they are 4 years old now). Also I do recommend she start doing some hill runs. For the PT test they have you run on a sorta flat track but on your run days they have you run on the hills and that my friend sucked.

Yea I did my AIT with the charlie 35th. I was a split. I think OSUT is the way to go. Get it done all at once. At least she will have the chow hall not to far away and they also have new barracks (actually they are 4 years old now). Also I do recommend she start doing some hill runs. For the PT test they have you run on a sorta flat track but on your run days they have you run on the hills and that my friend sucked.
She can already max the men's run and sit-ups (sit-ups are the same for both at her age). Her push ups need improvement.

I've been giving her some basic training tips. You know, drill sergeants prefer to be called sir. They are always looking to improve basic, so give your drill sergeants tips on how they can make it better. Give the chow sergeant some of mom's recipes. Tell them your dad already taught you how to shoot a "gun". Ask your drill sergeant of you can form a book club.

I've been giving her some basic training tips. You know, drill sergeants prefer to be called sir. They are always looking to improve basic, so give your drill sergeants tips on how they can make it better. Give the chow sergeant some of mom's recipes. Tell them your dad already taught you how to shoot a "gun". Ask your drill sergeant of you can form a book club.

I hope you're joking.. haha! book club? and if your not I apologize but when I was there about 7 years ago I did not have time for a book club. and if she can max the run thats f&*&* awesome!!! Have her do some rucking that will help too.

I hope you're joking.. haha! book club? and if your not I apologize but when I was there about 7 years ago I did not have time for a book club. and if she can max the run thats f&*&* awesome!!! Have her do some rucking that will help too.

Good god of course he's joking.

Oh and don't forget to send her all her mail in different kinds of colors for the envelops. Also make sure you bake some cookies and send it to her..<--- this actually happen while I was there.

Back