NYC Crash pads

Maurus

The Great Gazoo
I am finally getting that beloved NYC base. With that said I will be needing a crash pad. I will be mostly doing JFK with some EWR sprinkled in. However my commute favors LGA. I am thinking about grabbing a place in Kew Gardens as a result. Anyone have any recommendations?

crashpad411.com is a good starting place. hotelcrashpadnetwork.com is another, but they don't have a JFK hotel right now. Kew is a good location in between JFK and LGA. It's safe, Voyager car service is constantly running which only costs $12 to either airport from Kew, and Kew has a bus that goes to JFK if you're cheap and have time. There is actually a pretty good thread about the odds and ends of NYC commuting sticky'd in the Delta forum on APC. If I remember correctly it was started by our own Taco 94. I'll PM you with my crash pad.

Bumping this thread. Trying to decide between paying for hotels when needed, or doing the crash pad thing. Anyone have any good leads on a pad near EWR? I saw the Blocked Inn and the Redeye via google. Redeye seems geared towards inflight, not sure that is an ideal situation.

Bumping this thread. Trying to decide between paying for hotels when needed, or doing the crash pad thing. Anyone have any good leads on a pad near EWR? I saw the Blocked Inn and the Redeye via google. Redeye seems geared towards inflight, not sure that is an ideal situation.

Blocked Inns EWR pad is a giant house close to EWR. Lots of room, house needs a quite bit of work but it was obviously bought as an investment/crashpad. Pilots and inflight of all airlines, but it wasn’t generally too crowded. Place is huge and even with 6 people there, you could still space out and not have to hide in your bunk.

Downside is that it’s a taxi ride to and an Uber from the crashpad, unless you want to spend 45 min on public transport to go 3 miles. If you’re local enough to drive, there is parking. There is a vehicle to use at the crashpad and in theory supposed to operated as a car share ( pickup and drop off folks at EWR if possible) but no one’s schedule ever worked with mine to make it worth it. The Blocked Inn folks were fair to deal with and were very good about housekeeping.

In case anyone cares......

I decided to keep track of what I would have spent on a hotel if I didn't have a crash pad. What I would do was as soon as I knew I needed to spend the night, I would go on to the various hotel apps and see what was available. I would also record what my actual expenses were with having a crash pad. They were within $200 of each other for two months straight. I decided that I would be willing to spend $200 to have my own private space every night, so I am dumping my crash pad. I have the advantage of living close enough to my base to be able to sit long call at home, and I tried to pick up whenever I could, and was usually pretty successful at getting trips. Worst case scenario, if there are no hotels available, I may have to spend the night in the crew room. I wouldn't be first nor the last person to ever have to do that.

I decided to keep track of what I would have spent on a hotel if I didn't have a crash pad. What I would do was as soon as I knew I needed to spend the night, I would go on to the various hotel apps and see what was available. I would also record what my actual expenses were with having a crash pad. They were within $200 of each other for two months straight. I decided that I would be willing to spend $200 to have my own private space every night, so I am dumping my crash pad. I have the advantage of living close enough to my base to be able to sit long call at home, and I tried to pick up whenever I could, and was usually pretty successful at getting trips. Worst case scenario, if there are no hotels available, I may have to spend the night in the crew room. I wouldn't be first nor the last person to ever have to do that.
Good job with the math. I guess that's just the free market though, right? Good point with the crew room, too. I held onto the crash pad just so I was certain to have no point at which I was stressing about hotels. I had a bed, and it was mine, and I knew where it was. As I get older, I realize that the value is in the margins for each individual. It helped that my pad was full of grownups and my room in particular never had another person in it when I was there.

Good job with the math. I guess that's just the free market though, right? Good point with the crew room, too. I held onto the crash pad just so I was certain to have no point at which I was stressing about hotels. I had a bed, and it was mine, and I knew where it was. As I get older, I realize that the value is in the margins for each individual. It helped that my pad was full of grownups and my room in particular never had another person in it when I was there.

If I had the same bed all the time, and/or had a room to myself guaranteed, it would be different. But it was three bunk beds to a room, and trying to find an empty bed at midnight because people didn't use the sign in board was not fun. The breaking point was when a roommate woke me up by passing gas. In the words of Roger Murtaugh, I am too old for this s****.

I have run into a few classmates that don't have a crashpad, or pay for hotels, they live in the crew room. I can't even imagine.....

The crew room overnight is pretty miserable. It feels like an ice box so if you aren't prepared for that, the sleep is rough. But I have seen some guys that have multiple pillows, blankets, sleeping bags, the whole nine yards. No wonder there is no space in the bag room.

I’m NYC based till beginning of next year…I’ve been doing airport Hilton/Hampton Inn. Company rate + I get stay credits…found a good spot to chill in the airport if I get in at midnight, with a 0700 commute home.

If I had the same bed all the time, and/or had a room to myself guaranteed, it would be different. But it was three bunk beds to a room, and trying to find an empty bed at midnight because people didn't use the sign in board was not fun. The breaking point was when a roommate woke me up by passing gas. In the words of Roger Murtaugh, I am too old for this s****.

I have run into a few classmates that don't have a crashpad, or pay for hotels, they live in the crew room. I can't even imagine.....
Oh yeah, cold rack that belongs to you only, and a good set of your own sheets, is an absolute must. So is a basic kitchen with space for your own food. We're not living on a submarine.

The crew room overnight is pretty miserable. It feels like an ice box so if you aren't prepared for that, the sleep is rough. But I have seen some guys that have multiple pillows, blankets, sleeping bags, the whole nine yards. No wonder there is no space in the bag room.

I've tried it. Our chairs are comfortable, and I've slept in all manner of vehicle seat and hole in the ground, but I'm a middle aged side sleeper now and it's miserable. If I was a commuter again, I would keep an air mattress rolled up in the bag room, without a doubt.

2nd year AA pay might have me dumping the crashpad too, but it is nice to have a fixed cost for what can be a wide variation in use/cost. Plus, I leave a small box with toiletries, a charger and other stuff in the crashpad so I don't have to unpack the roller for too much.

I was in kew gardens for years before changing bases. Kew Gardens is in a good location for JFK and LGA. Lots to do around there.
I wasn't a fam of the large house on hillside and lefferts. To big, too many people, too much drama.

I’m leaving my place at the end of the month. 10 minutes from JFK and it’s $850/mo for private room with private bathroom and queen bed. As of now, only one other person in the pad. DM me if you want the contact info.

Back