NTSB's decisions to go public every day

Is this really about safety? NTSB Chair Deborah Hersman told all the key values of the CVR and FDR literally the day after they were analyzed. She continues to release the little details as they become known. Now to think, is this really safety related? Feed the media to keep them satisfied?

The answer is no, as is usual with ALL politicians, the answer is more politically driven.

Source: http://www.sfgate.com/politics/joeg...notice-with-poise-ambition-4658693.php#page-2

Facts:

Clad in her NTSB windbreaker, Hersman effortlessly explains "lateral deviation," auto throttles and Papi lights in unflinching tones, as if she has been a pilot for years. She hasn't. She holds a public-policy master's degree in conflict analysis and resolution.

At 39 in 2009, she became the agency's youngest chair after years as a Capitol Hill staffer.

While not saying anything publicly, she campaigned hard behind the scenes this spring to be nominated as the next secretary of transportation after Ray LaHood announced he would step down.
'Private lobbying'

She met privately with members of the Senate Commerce Committee, the panel that would hold the confirmation hearing for the position - an unusual move for someone who hasn't been nominated. Her boss when she worked for the committee, Sen. Jay Rockefeller, D-W.Va., said publicly that she should get the job.
The White House was unimpressed. "Hersman's private lobbying for the job soured the White House," reported the inside-the-Beltway bible Politico. "The White House never vetted or interviewed Hersman."

One top Capitol Hill transportation leader said the incident recalled the old joke in Washington political circles that the most dangerous place to stand in town is between Sen. Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., and a camera.

"And the second most dangerous would be between a camera and Debbie," said the transportation leader, who deals regularly with Hersman and asked not to be identified. Still, the leader praised her for "doing a very good job" at the NTSB.
Her failed attempt to be nominated for a Cabinet position shouldn't hurt her standing inside the transportation community or on Capitol Hill, say her predecessors Hall and Rosenker.

The next move?

Observers say her next career move will be interesting to watch. Her second two-year term as chairwoman ends in August, and her second five-year term as an NTSB board member ends in December.

*****************************************************************************************

She's trying to get her foot up the ladder. No others NTSB Chair has ever released that much information, in that short a timeframe, on that daily a basis. I'm actually surprised to hear (often by pilots) that this is happening for safety reasons. How? This has never happened before. In the last major airline crash in the USA (AA 587), the day after the CVR and FDR was analyzed, the NTSB Chair did not go on national TV and say "the rudder was deflected close to full left, then opposite full right, then full left, full right, and then full left." "Then a sound of the tail snapping off was heard..."

That didn't happen because it would have been un-wise for it to happen.

For NTSB Chairman Hersman, her term is coming to an end at the NTSB this year. She's privately lobbying as much as possible to get the Secretary of DOT job, and doing so behind Washington DC's backs. This crash is just what she needed to get her name, face, and image out to everyone. I'm willing to bet at the end of this, she WILL be the next Sect of DOT. It's all political, this has nothing to do with safety. Releasing these soundbites in a cool, concise calm manner every day since the CVR/FDR was analyzed is her way of getting her image, her name, and her chance for the new job. Putting herself on the radar if you will, for the Sec DOT job.

Are you the original author of this content? ((Sorry, I haven't clicked the link yet))

If so...I'm gonna end liking the first ever CC post.

If not...I'm highly interested in a sourced link.

Thanks!

While as a pilot I like not waiting a year to hear the details, I think that coming from a body that is supposed to be this great non-biased seeker of the truth this is pretty out of line.

While I don't doubt that she might be doing this for political reasons, and I would rather they didn't release data this quickly, I don't really see that there's anything "wrong" with it. She's doing a very good job of giving nothing but straight facts. What the media does with that data is their problem. I trust the NTSB enough to do a thorough job and provide appropriate recommendations when all the facts are considered, and really, in the end, that's the only thing that matters.

After watching Hersman put her foot down to try to get fatigue as a contributing factor in the Colgan crash, I have a lot of respect for the woman. Politician she may be, but she's remarkably good at what she does.

The media is going to print incorrect and technically inaccurate information regardless of the frequency of NTSB briefings. With the briefings, however, it might be a little less prevalent.

The best thing so far has been CNN getting a CFI with 4 stripes in a C172 with a G1000 panel approaching and landing on 28R and explaining the challenges of operating into KSFO airport. That's the newest low. Ever.

The best thing so far has been CNN getting a CFI with 4 stripes in a C172 with a G1000 panel approaching and landing on 28R and explaining the challenges of operating into KSFO airport. That's the newest low. Ever.

Hey, lay off the guys who have to wear four stripes out to their 152. ;-)

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Hey, lay off the guys who have to wear four stripes out to their 152. ;-)

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Ah yes, I have a term for "those" guys.

power-drill-1.jpg

Back