November issue Flying mag Check Ride - hilarious

cointyro

Anyone else read Mr. Collins' Checkride in the November 03 Flying?

I laughed out loud in the library while reading this today. Profiled is a 24 year-old, who has just started working. His comment:

"The biggest struggle for me is finding a balance between my budget as a young working person just starting out, not wanting to fly if I'm not sharp, and justifying the flying part of my life at all. It's hard when you dump $1,000 into 10 hours of training or less and then think to yourself, gee, I could have had three TVs or dined out for a few months or whatever. And from what I have heard, if I am ever lucky enough to explore the romantic side of life, it's not gonna be cheap."

True, true. Chicks are darned expensive... ha ha.

More seriously, it's true - my how expensive flying can be.

Derg

New Arizona, Il Duce/Warlord
Staff member
No doubt chicks are expensive. I lived on cans of green beans and Milwaukee government housing and Kristie never knew the difference!

However, I think if you plan for the long term, it's not as bad as a person with the 'I want it NOW' syndrome.

cointyro

?

If you plan ahead to fly, or plan ahead to date? Not sure I follow you...

By the by, I was reading Doug's post and at first glance I thought he said he lived on cans of green beans and Milwaukee's Best...

... and I thought, hey, that's not so bad, vegetables and beer

Derg

New Arizona, Il Duce/Warlord
Staff member
My first Wisconsin discovery: "Milwaukee's Best" isn't.

tonyw

[ QUOTE ]
My first Wisconsin discovery: "Milwaukee's Best" isn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, yes, the BEAST! When I was in college, the unlabeled button on our soda machine was loaded with beer. Every now and then, you'd get a decent beer, and when I say decent, I'm talking like MGD or LIte. The rest of the time, you'd get the Beast or Old Style!

Maximilian_Jenius

Super User
Beer taste nasty....well except for flavored malts like Bacardi Silver or Barcadi R.

I prefer mixed drinks. They taste fruity but you get either a very good buzz or drunk waaaaay faster then nasty beer any day.

Matthew

aka katsuhara

FLYMcDoofer

Mixed Drinks=More $$$
Cheap Beer=Bad Hangover, more $$$

I will drink mixed drinks when they have $2 bourbons or vodkas....but NOTHING fruity.