Notes From Emirates Information Session

Here are two questions I have, if anyone knows the answer:

If you are not married, can you live with your significant other in company-provided housing?

Can you have a dog?

I have heard no and no, and that is definitely a deal breaker for me.

I'm very interested in flying for Emirates once I qualify as well. I've talked to them informally at a pilot conference and it does indeed sound like a great place to work.

who is absolutely miserable in Dubai.

I can see that--it is a long way from home. Plus, even though it is very westernized, it is still very different than the US. Traveling to the middle east has given me a tremendous appreciation for my home--America.

It is a very conservative land--and there are definately some very ugly things there. If you are not the adventurous type, I would definately stay away--

As a U.S. Citizen you have to pay income tax on foreign income over that amount. EK won't report it so it is up to you if you decide to pay it. If you are caught not paying you could lose your citizenship. Like Polar says though, you could easily skirt it. Not too much of a problem if you decide to never come back home to live. When you do and start filing taxes again, they might want to know where you've been, especially since you have a work visa in the UAE.

As a US citizen living and working overseas you have to file a tax return whether or not you make $84,500.00. You wont get taxed on less but you still have to file and disclose what you made and how. You also have to report any and all foreign accounts that you hold in particular those that had an account balance of at least $10,000.00 on any given day during the tax year.

Now that being said, this is all based on the honor system since the US Government can not verify any of this unless your employer is issuing a W2 to the US - like DL did when I worked in FRA, but working for DL I never had to worry about making enough for the US to tax me,. Besides the Germans were getting more than their fair share.

how is it - really - for women there? I would be very interested to go and live there for a while but my other half thinks that I'll wander into the wrong area of town and end up stoned because I'm not wearing a head covering. Do many Western women wear headscarves out of courtesy for the culture? Do they get harassed if they don't?

No headwear for women--typically anyway--women can-drive do all that--it is westernized-nothing like Saudi Arabia.

[/QUOTE]Overall an excellent post, but I'll chime in with a few corrections to make sure that the ones who are paid to blow sunshine are corrected.

Emirates in General
1. Aircraft fleet
a. 115 aircraft
b. over 240 aircraft on order
2. 20% growth in last 3 years

Actually that is 20% per year for the last three years.
Life in Dubai?
1. pretty much crime free
a. certain communities not exposed to that
b. very safe

Crime exists, as it does anywhere. It is generally not directed towards expats, but petty theft does occur quite frequently at the villas, especially in the summer when families are away and the villas are empty.

2. totally drug free
a. penalty for drugs is DEATH
b. pretty much a deterrent
c. don’t have to worry about someone peddling drugs to your kids

Drugs exist, don't kid yourself. Not on the scale of the U.S. because of the penalties involved for trafficking and possession.
6. You can have house mates to keep your house clean

That means maids. They cost about 6000 Dirhams to sponsor for 2 years and then a salary of around 1200 Dirhams per month. Please, for the love of god, do not let them raise your children as all too many families do. Occasional baby sitting for an hour is okay, but to trust your children to an undeducated, untrained person is just stupid.

7. Customer service is fantastic
a. no waits
b. world class facilities
c. customer service is king
d. only 7 star hotel in the world
e. since cater to tourists, want to offer the best
18. Skiing
a. only $20 for skis, boots, and gloves
b. is right next to the mall
c. funny watching someone skiing past you behind the glass building

Closer to $40 actually. Great fun in the summer.
Benefits (First Officers)
1. about $94,000 tax free (average of everything below)

I think I calculated it out as $84,000 plus bonus and overtime. So yes, that could be $94,000 but not guaranteed to get either a bonus or overtime.
a. salary of about $74,000 regardless of how often fly
b. for every flight hour flown additional $12.25
c. for every flight hour flown over minimum of 78 hours $125.10
i. want a nice lawn – don’t worry about water bill

That will change very soon. Believe me, too many people are taking this perk to an extreme and it won't be allowed to continue, nor should it.
ii. want a/c on continuously – don’t worry about electric bill
c. there is a waiting list for accommodations
i. due to delays in housing
ii. cement went from 9 Durams a bag to 40 Durams a bag in the last six months
6. Medical Benefits
a. employee covered in full
b. spouse and children – you must pay a slight fee
i. about $200 per year Actually is $50 per month for my wife and child. Still reasonable, but a bit more than the figure quoted.
ii. taken out of your paycheck
iii. you never see it
c. covered in clinics all over the world
d. you don’t have to pay any bills at the one in Dubai
i. it is taken care of for you at the clinic
e. Dubai health clinic is state of the art
d. not sure what a CAT 99 is

CAT 99s are a quarterly look at flights that will not likely become fully booked. They are open to a wider group of your relatives and are firm tickets. Round trip to Europe was about $200 per person a few years back. As a firm ticket that is a great deal. I imagine they are a bit more with fuel surcharges probably closer to $300 now.
10. Schools:
a. primary school per child (max 3 children at one time)
i. 100% first $4,350
ii. 90% of next $4,350 ($3,915)
iii. basically you pay $435 out of $8,700
b. secondary school per child (max 3 children at one time)
i. 100% first $6,810
ii. 90% of next $6,810 ($6,129)
iii. basically you pay $681 out of $13,620

The American schools are significantly more expensive than the British schools quoted here. Work on $6000 per child per year for grades 1-5, then about $1000 per child per year for grades 6-12.
d. however the American schools are for profit
i. slightly higher cost than other schools
ii. however they look exactly like an AmericanSchool
iii. ball parks and the works
5. low turnover rate
a. 0.7%

A bit higher as well, but as long as they are senior to me it's all good.
6. lots of opportunities for wives
a. many work
b. speakers wife is a real estate agent and makes more than he does
7. around 12-18 days off a month

Maximum days off per month is now 14.
8. maximum days away for vacation is 21 days at one time

Depends if you know how to work the system or not. It's not that hard to get 28+ in a row. They just don't want more than 34 since you'll have currency issue per our regs.

Here are two questions I have, if anyone knows the answer:

If you are not married, can you live with your significant other in company-provided housing?

Can you have a dog?

I have heard no and no, and that is definitely a deal breaker for me.

Matt:

Dogs are okay, and the accommodations department has worked with people who have dogs. It's not easy and there is no guarantee, but it isn't an outright no like some think.

In regards to the significant other there is a law that says unmarried couples can not live together. It is rarely enforced and only when something extreme happens. However, your significant other will need a resident visa. If not married then she would have to obtain a job with a visa in order for her to stay in the country.

BTW--I fly Emirates a lot (the Infamous Delta 7 from Dubai to Atlanta) and I can tell you the service on that airline is outstanding. For some reason the seats are also very very very comfortable.

Emirates doesn't serve Atlanta. Although I agree the product and the service at Emirates are very good.

Have you guys *EVER* at *ANYTIME* felt unsafe or threatened when in Dubai because your American?

I feel more threatened and nore unsafe when I am in the USA than when I am in Dubai. Well, unless I'm driving on the roads in Dubai then I do feel a bit more uncomfortable than in the USA ( excepting south Florida which is a nightmare in itself ).

Typhoonpilot

TyphoonPilot,

Thanks for your additional insight. I have been on numerous message boards trying to educate myself on Emirates and Dubai. As with any job, it is what you make of it. It sounds like you've made the best with Emirates.

On many of the threads out there it seems like moral is slowly deteriorating at Emirates. Either people didn't do enough research and were not well informed of what life would be like prior to moving to the move. Or, as with any fast growing company, change occurs, and the small "family" type atmosphere disappears with the masses, creating stricter rules, a change in culture, and much frustration.

I have an additional thread going with further questions about working for Emirates.

http://forums.jetcareers.com/general-topics/67142-questions-about-working-at-emirates.html

If you get a chance, would you mind giving us some of your input on these issues?

Once again, thanks for all your previous posts over the years. They have immensly helped this pilot open his eyes to life in the middle east and has allowed me to be a better informed canidate for the upcoming interview!

Emirates doesn't serve Atlanta. Although I agree the product and the service at Emirates are very good.

typhoon--Emirates doesn't but Delta does--on an Emirates Airliner. At least it's an Emirates 777 that I get on with an Emirates Crew. Don't mean to disagree but...

Delta Flight 7 Economy

Dubai Airport
11:35 pm, Thursday, July 31
TERMINAL 1
Equipment:

Boeing 777
Duration:

15 hours and 15 minutes
Meals:

Dinner

Confirmed
To:

Atlanta Hartsfield-Jackson Int'l Airport, GA
6:50 am, Friday, August 01
TERMINAL S

I'm driving on the roads in Dubai then I do feel a bit more uncomfortable than in the USA ( excepting south Florida which is a nightmare in itself )

Agreed :)

Service is great--if you fly for that Airline--Great Job-1 very happy customer--!

No headwear for women--typically anyway--women can-drive do all that--it is westernized-nothing like Saudi Arabia.

Exactly! Don't confuse Dubai (or any other Middle Eastern country) with Saudi Arabia. Dubai is where we used to go to have fun when I was in Kuwait and Iraq.

Back