Not Your Typical A.Net post!

BoeingDrew

Potential New Members!
tongue.gif

It looks like we can look forward to getting a few more lurkers!
smile.gif

BTW-Who was that who referred that guy?

That's rich. They did EVERYTHING b/c they flew on flight sim. I wonder if the CFI wanted to kill them, but didn't want to lose the potential student. Also, the guy that got his PPL in 39 hours. I doubt he did it 141, so shouldn't it be at least 40?

[ QUOTE ]
I have been doing MSFS for years. When I went on a discovery flight, they guy was amazed that I did EVERYTHING. Communications, taxi, takeoff, landing. It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to start there if you don't have the dough to go strait to training.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hahaha... That's funny, but really scary. Boy oh boy, I can't wait for the days when I'm a CFI trying to tell people that flightsim isn't the same damn thing!
tongue.gif

I have been flying MSFS for years as well. I would guess that I have about 2000 hours in the 747 alone. Maybe I should see about getting it in my log book.
cool.gif

All joking aside. It is a good trainer for learning the instruments, but as far as putting you directly at the controls, I don't think so.

[ QUOTE ]
Wow!! The kid went on a discovery flight and did EVERYTHING!!!
tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

A CFI can "fly" almost the entire flight without the intro. student even realizing it.

Left hand resting on knee, but in range of the elevator trim to control altitude (esp. easy in a Piper with trim in between the seats). Feet lightly on rudders to keep coordinated and/or make small turns. Right hand resting on knee so one finger can be used to lightly manipulate yoke and/or limit its movement. Remind them of the importance of looking outside, and they never even see most of the things you're doing in the cockpit.

Using this method, I can talk almost any student all the way through an intro. flight from rotation to flare without ever having to completely "take" the controls.
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
All joking aside. It is a good trainer for instruments

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a decent way to keep your instrument procedures proficient. As for training, or maintaining a real scan, it's mostly inaccurate. This topic has been beaten to death...I just hate flightsim junkie talk as much as the next guy.
tongue.gif

I agree. What I was trying to get across was it's a good way to learn what exactly they are, what they do, and how they operate before you ever climb out of your computer chair and climb into the cockpit. Didn't mean to suggest that MSFS, with all it's glitches and downfalls, should be used to get an instrument rating.

I remember my discovery flight vividly. October 2001. I think I even posted something about it on this site. I THOUGHT I had done a LOT of the "flying".
wink.gif

Funny how fast that all went out the window when I started my REAL training.
cool.gif

These guys will learn too.

I don't know what you guy's are talking about...I have my ATP from FS2002 and when I went in for my intro flight I pimped slapped the CFI and actually did an ILS into MIA. Beat that...
shocked.gif

Well, I replied to the original poster since we live in the same city and offered to show him around my flight school. He sounds like he has the drive to be a good student.

nah, flightsim's not the same thing. Yeah the poster sounded a bit ridiculous stating he did EVERYTHING, but come on, we were all there once. I'm sure he's just a kid. Hell I said a lot of ridiculous things about myself when I was a kid.

Although I know it didn't do a lot to prep me for starting in on the real deal, I 'flew' FS a lot in those 18 months that I was scraping together enough change to get me through my private. Doing that, reading the Jepp PPASEL manual twice through, and absolutely living for the couple times a month that my friend would take me up in his C120 is what kept me going as I struggled to get the money together to get started. Oh, and jc.com helped too.
cool.gif

Sarah

Flight Sim was great for the cross country phase. I used it to get used to VOR tracking, keeping a flight log, and so on.

Same here. I remember that dreaded FXE-APF First solo Xcountry. The easyest (just follow Alligator Alley) flight but still did it with flight sim first just in case.
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
They did EVERYTHING b/c they flew on flight sim.

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny... That reminds me of a student that contacted us. Claimed he had his Private Pilot Lic. already so he could pay for a post private course. That was all well and good until he sent his app along with his MSFS pilots lic and logbook. He wasnt too thrilled that he was going to have to "re-do" his private lic.
grin.gif

I remember one time at Riddle when my friend took his girlfriend flying, and I sat in the back. He told her to taxi the plane, which she did by turning the yoke... She was so proud, and we never told her the truth!
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Funny... That reminds me of a student that contacted us. Claimed he had his Private Pilot Lic. already so he could pay for a post private course. That was all well and good until he sent his app along with his MSFS pilots lic and logbook. He wasnt too thrilled that he was going to have to "re-do" his private lic.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now that's humor. They should make an SNL skit out of that one. But only pilots would laugh and pure flight simmers would be offended.

[ QUOTE ]
I remember one time at Riddle when my friend took his girlfriend flying, and I sat in the back. He told her to taxi the plane, which she did by turning the yoke... She was so proud, and we never told her the truth!
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL!

Great stuff.

Back