Not very happy and need some help drastically....

horizonq400

So a little history before I begin my rant:

I started my flight training in July 2007 and went in for my medical examination. Because I had supra-ventricular tachycardia with ablation in August 2005, the FAA was obviously not satisfied but made an "exception" and game me special issuance. In May 2008, I was to have a 24-hour holter test done and have the results sent to the FAA from my cardiologist, which was done and I got another special inssuance of a Class III medical. I had to do this once again this and wear a 24-hour holter monitor. Here is what was requested JUNE 23, 2008:

"On or about June 1, 2009, you must furnish a current cardiac status report from your cardiologist regarding your history of supra-ventricular tachycardia with ablation to include interval surveillance, assessment, present treatment, prognosis, medications currently taken with dosage, frequency, and the presence or absence of side-effects, a current 24-hour holter monitor test with the full disclosure report, the representative tracings, summary sheet, and the tabular report, and the results of any other current studies deemed appropriate to document stability and demonstrate no recurrence of symptoms."

Ok, so on Friday May 29th, 2009, I got the Holter monitor and wore it for 24 hours as requested. On the morning of Monday June 1st, I turned the monitor back in and had my appointment with my cardiologist that afternoon. He said the results would be back by Thursday or so and said that I was perfectly healthy after a quick check over.

June 23rd, 2009 I recieve this from the wonderful FAA:

"Your report of physical examination and summarization narrative of Holter testing has been recieved. Based upon our review of the information submitted, we are unable to establish your eligibility to hold an airman medical certificate at this time.

"Please submit a current cardiac status report from your cardiologist regarding your history of supra-ventricular tachycardia with ablation to include interval surveillance, assessment, present treatment, prognosis, medications currently taken with dosage, frequency, and the presence or absense of side-effects, a current 24-hour Holter monitor test with the full disclosure report, and the results of any other current studies deemed appropriate to document stability and demonstrate no recurrence of symptoms.

"Following our review of the requested data, we will notify you regarding your eligibility for medical certification...."

Why are they having me do exactly the same thing I just did a few weeks ago again?!? I did it last year and just finished paying off that bill, and now I have another one coming up, and they want me to go again!! It is getting ridiculous, expensive, and irritating. I can't keep going to see my cardiologist for something that has already proved that I am healthy. I have no insurance, and it's getting out of hand. I know I'm healthy. I'm almost 23 years old, and since the procedure, nothing has happened with my heart, I've participated, and won mind you, tri-athlons with no heart issues, I fly fine with no issues! I need some help. I'm sorry this was so long but hopefully it makes sense and I can get some help.

Flying is my life. I crave it, and the damn government is trying to steal away a huge part of my life it seems like. Please please please help me to figure this out and what I can do to put an end to this. Any other question that might help solve this, please ask. Thanks.

Did you keep copies of what was submitted to the FAA? (ALWAYS DO THIS) If so, look at the reports and I am pretty sure the items the FAA requested the cardiologist included in his report were not included. What usually happens is the cardiologist writes a 1 paragraph report that says t"he exam was normal, the Holter was normal and I see no reason why this person should not fly".

The issue here is that there is a 7-10% recurrence of SVT after ablation. They will probably follow you several years then drop the Special Issuance.

My experience, and this is all I do, has been that if you provide the FAA exactly what they require, there is no problem having the SI renewed. Sooooooooooooo, if the cardiologist did not include everything requested in the FAA's letter, ask him to do so and you will get your SI back.

Back