Not sure what the plan is . . .

mrgames

Well, I'm 23 years old and I just graduated from the University of Michigan with an Econ degree. Now, it only took a couple of months to realize that my degree was worth about as much as the paper it was printed on. I've got a job in IT and Real Estate but the 80+ hours/wk is killing me. If I loved what I did it would be a different story (I guess!).

I'm sure everyone has heard it before... but here I go.

So, I've always wanted to be a pilot, but never had the opportunity (money, time, family, etc). My best friend got his license and several ratings, but suddenly gave up on the whole idea of every going Pro with the thing as a careeer.

NOW, seeing that he gave up and just now beginning my VFR training, as a prospective pilot (who's prepared to take on a lot more debt) I'm starting to become concerned. So far I love all that I've seen of the program I'm in here in Southern California-- but why is my buddy (a clean cut straigh shooter who's always been a success) suddenly "bailing out" on something I thought was a lifelong dream for him.

He still flies regularly, but says he just does it to keep "sharp". I guess, what I'm really asking, is-- Do I stand a chance?! Will the regionals even look at me with if I ever get to 1500hrs and only 150 is in a multi-engine plane?

The forums have been great-- and I've read quite a few posts-- but I suppose I just wanted to satisfy my own curiosity ... if at all possible
grin.gif

OH-- and should I plan on moving backto Michigan at all? Would this be better for a possible CFI position, regrional or major airline job long term? Living cost are lower-- but the weather sure stinks (not too good for flying).

Happy Holidays to everyone-- hopefully I'll get some sound advice (even if it has been posted before!).

Okay, you're worried that your best friend doesn't want to continue anymore so you're wondering if you should continue? Are you doing it for "you" or for him? It takes a tremendous amount of self motivation to achieve your goals in aviation.

[ QUOTE ]
but why is my buddy (a clean cut straigh shooter who's always been a success) suddenly "bailing out" on something I thought was a lifelong dream for him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you thought about asking him? Maybe it's a medical issue or he's financially strapped.

Fact of the matter is that becoming a professional pilot is not an easy road and takes a lot of perseverance and dedication. There are a lot of pitfalls and hardships along the way. Some make it but alot don't for a variety of reasons. If your not willing to sacrifice a little for the end result then I'd find an easier career choice.

Now, having said that, you're young with a college degree. You have plenty of time to achieve your goals in aviation. That doesn't mean that you should sit back and relax. Decide now and go after it full tilt and don't look back!

[ QUOTE ]
Do I stand a chance?! Will the regionals even look at me with if I ever get to 1500hrs and only 150 is in a multi-engine plane?

[/ QUOTE ]

We'll sure you've got a chance! I'd say better than average. 23 is a great age to start and you've already got that pesky college degree requirement out of the way. Those times would be competitive at the Regionals.

[ QUOTE ]
OH-- and should I plan on moving backto Michigan at all? Would this be better for a possible CFI position, regrional or major airline job long term? Living cost are lower-- but the weather sure stinks (not too good for flying).

[/ QUOTE ]

That's more of a personal decision on where you want to live rather than a business decision. The Regionals or Majors don't really care where you live. I'd say most people commute to the job anyway. However, a new CFI can't be too choosy when looking for gainful employment. Go where the job is not where you want to be. As you gain experience and time you can pick and choose more to your liking.

I'd say you have an excellent chance of achieving your goals!!

Thanks A300-- Comforting to know that someone out there thinks I've got a shot. I hear so many depressing stories, it's often difficult to ignore all of them! Time to take this thing full speed then. We'll see where I am when I'm 30 :p

Thanks!

Just keep in mind that it'll probably take til you're 30 to get back to the same income level that you're probably enjoying now in IT/real estate, if even then.

[ QUOTE ]
Just keep in mind that it'll probably take til you're 30 to get back to the same income level that you're probably enjoying now in IT/real estate, if even then.

[/ QUOTE ]

Also keep in mind that if you go the airline route, you might still be working 60-80 hour weeks, but only be getting paid for 40. That whole block in/block out thing only works well financially for airline management. It won't be as mind numbing as IT or exhausting (well, it probably will be sometimes) as real estate, but there's still plenty of long days to go around.

Thanks for all the comments... the input is good the hear.

In other news, a Cessna 182 just slammed into a radio tower for KFI in Fullerton,CA not too far from where I live. I guess they've been pushing to get strobes on the thing for decades because it was "invisible" during the day.

Cheers.

mrgames,

First off, welcome to the forums. My girlfriend just graduated from Michigan a few days ago with a degree in anthropology, and I'm attending Western Michigan University for a degree in philosophy.

To tell you the truth, we're not that much different. I'm 22, and the only advantage I have over you is that I've gotten through my private and instrument done and I have about 200 hours under me. So in the grand scheme of things, I'd say we're nearly in the same position. I am planning to make a run at this flying thing full steam once I'm done with school in about a year, and I see no reason on the surface why you couldn't do the same thing. But you've gotta ask yourself some questions; do you have any debt from Michigan? It's an expensive school if you come from out of state, and if you've got loads of debt right now you might not like adding another $40,000 on top of what you've already got. You've gotta remember that as a flight instructor you won't be making that much money (I think Doug, the guy that runs this site, made $8,000 in his first year of instructing). When (if) you make it to the regionals, you can bet on $16,000-$20,000 as first year pay. Once you move up a few years at the regionals you start to make some ok money, but that might be when you're 30.

I'd recommend you keep asking questions and reading these forums. I know they've been a huge help for me. If you want to get some information on flight schools back here in Michigan let me know and I'll tell you what I can. As far as moving back here, as A300 said, it's a personal choice. If you want to live back here, come back here. If you don't want to be in Michigan; don't live in Michigan. You can make it happen where you're at right now.

Cheers

John Herreshoff

Hey John-- Sounds like we're both actually in a really good position for taking on this whole flight career thing
cool.gif
The bummer for me, as you mentioned, is the debt I already have from college loans due to out-of-state tutition. I am, however, trying to convince good ol' ma and pa' to help me out with those loans. I am looking at flying as a "master program" to sorta justify the cost in my mind :)

In other news, I went out today to Sunrise aviation school for my first intro flight in Orange County/John Wayne and due to 30+ winds we were grounded. These Santa Ana winds get ridiculous out here-- I know the inland empire expects gust up to 50+ (or so I heard).

Now on an intro flight will they let you fly the thing at all? I know it counts as dual instruction, so I figured they might. I'm really bummed by flight got cancelled, but oh well.

I'll prob end up moving back to Michigan at some point, but for noiw I'll do my flight training in California--- if this whole thing works out. Appreciate al lthe feedback and the forums have been great! I'll be sure to update my post as I get upto speed and in the air eventually.

Merry Christmas!

mrgames,

Yes another Econ major, I always like to say I got a BA in BS! LOL. On a serious note... as far as your friend's motivation for an aviation career is concerned... it shouldn't matter one bit. Lets face it, dreams change. Just because he doesn't have the same aspiration to fly commercially as he once did doesnt mean it won't be a perfect fit for you. You will find whether it is or it isn't as you go through your training. As A300Capt said it takes a lot of self motivation and investment in time and money to even become employable in this industry. I think people find if it's "for them" or not while earning their ratings. Don't second guess yourself before you even get started! Your thinking way too much about this for someone who hasn't even solo'd yet.

Don

Back