Not showing up to an interview

ijustworkhere

Hey disp fam need some advice…Management let me know that I’d be junior manned a few days ago on my interview date. I’ve been scrambling to try and get it covered/swapped and no one is able to. I’ve emailed and called HR to reschedule a date and still no response. I’m afraid that the dispatch managers will assume that I just blew off the interview when that is not the case. Any ideas on what I should do? I have one of the hiring managers emails, but I know he’s very busy and most likely won’t even see it. Can I get blacklisted for not showing up??

Forgive me for asking as I’m not familiar with junior manning in this line of work, but what would be the repercussions for calling out if you were junior manned?

Semi related... Companies say they don't "blacklist" people. But I confirmed that one in particular DID infact blacklist. I wish I would have explained my situation at the time. The hiring manager said he would have put me in the next new hire class.

Forgive me for asking as I’m not familiar with junior manning in this line of work, but what would be the repercussions for calling out if you were junior manned?
So this is my Dilemma…I planned to fly back home after my interview since I have a funeral to attend to the next morning. I would be listing as a jumpseat to fly back, but if I call out then I wouldn’t be able to use my flight privileges. If my airline were to find out I’d immediately be fired. ☹️

Semi related... Companies say they don't "blacklist" people. But I confirmed that one in particular DID infact blacklist. I wish I would have explained my situation at the time. The hiring manager said he would have put me in the next new hire class.
Sent you a message

If it’s that important then just bang out sick and buy a ticket. It may be painful short term, but the long term benefits could pay out in spades. Hell, even sign up for the carriers credit card program and get a points multiplier for the expense. There’s ways to bend this towards the good if you look for them.

jr manning sucks. You look like you may have an eye problem. Probably pink eye. Don’t wanna spread that around the office.

next, did the interviewer not offer a seat to get there? Lame. Probably d9nt wanna work there if they’re to cheap for blocking a seat for you

and, if you need to do it jump back on a carrier that’s not yours, or if your a regional avoid carriers flying under the mainline code. unless they ask for a competitors manifest and get it, they won’t know.

Sticky spot to be in. As far as the interviewing airline goes I can speak for mine and if you don't decline or re-schedule or in other words no call/no show for an interview, management is going to remember and basically send you a TBNT for any future apps you put in for dispatch.

In your situation you need to ask yourself if potential employment at another airline offers enough pros over your current position. After that you need to consider any repercussions for calling out to make the interview.

Here is a funny story and it is true. Way way back when, AirTran was hiring dispatchers and this after the announced merger with WN. Thus everyone and their brother was trying to get in via the backdoor per se. Including me at the time. Anyway, there were 10 of us in the lobby waiting for the van to take us to the interview. As usual people were saying hi and good luck. Yet there were 2 people that were not talking to each other. Caught up with the one of them, he worked at Pinncacle as SOC supervisor (I believe that was his title) and had found someone to cover his shift. A couple of hours later I was able to talk to the other individual. He worked as a dispatcher for Pinnacle but had to call out sick. Unfortunately, he had to call his boss who I just previously mentioned. Talk about awkward!!!!! :eek2:

I would like to add the following advice: if you do end up having to call out sick to make an interview, DO NOT bring this up at the interview, even if the interviewer asks how you covered your shift to get there. I have heard of people who WERE completely honest about that in the past, and it created…issues, I’ll just leave it at that.

Hey disp fam need some advice…Management let me know that I’d be junior manned a few days ago on my interview date. I’ve been scrambling to try and get it covered/swapped and no one is able to. I’ve emailed and called HR to reschedule a date and still no response. I’m afraid that the dispatch managers will assume that I just blew off the interview when that is not the case. Any ideas on what I should do? I have one of the hiring managers emails, but I know he’s very busy and most likely won’t even see it. Can I get blacklisted for not showing up??
Don’t call out sick. Just straight up tell your current manager you can’t do it because you have a job interview and offer to work a different day off.

If he/she isn’t understanding that you are trying to move up in the world, then just straight up let them know you won’t be there and do what they need to do.

This is an issue of character…so have the character to be honest with those involved.

Don’t call out sick. Just straight up tell your current manager you can’t do it because you have a job interview and offer to work a different day off.

If he/she isn’t understanding that you are trying to move up in the world, then just straight up let them know you won’t be there and do what they need to do.

This is an issue of character…so have the character to be honest with those involved.

You have to be careful with this. Junior manning is usually a contractual item to cover open shifts. It only occurs after everyone has been given a chance to pick it up for overtime money. If every other available dispatchers are not willing to pick it up for overtime money, it makes it very difficult to trade off. You are getting forced to work something nobody else wants. Junior manning is a last ditch attempt to get shifts covered.

If its a union shop, you cant just offer to work a different day off as uncovered shifts are assigned based on the union contract. Junior assigning overtime out of order is just asking for grievences. The shift will still need to be covered and the next person in line to be junior assigned will no doubt report it to the union.

I dont know how far you would get offering to work a different day off. They would need to pay you overtime for that day and also pay someone else overtime money for the shift they are trying to force you to cover.

If you could get away with the job interview excuse then everyone would use it to get out of junior manning.

You have to be careful with this. Junior manning is usually a contractual item to cover open shifts. It only occurs after everyone has been given a chance to pick it up for overtime money. If every other available dispatchers are not willing to pick it up for overtime money, it makes it very difficult to trade off. You are getting forced to work something nobody else wants. Junior manning is a last ditch attempt to get shifts covered.

If its a union shop, you cant just offer to work a different day off as uncovered shifts are assigned based on the union contract. Junior assigning overtime out of order is just asking for grievences. The shift will still need to be covered and the next person in line to be junior assigned will no doubt report it to the union.

I dont know how far you would get offering to work a different day off. They would need to pay you overtime for that day and also pay someone else overtime money for the shift they are trying to force you to cover.

If you could get away with the job interview excuse then everyone would use it to get out of junior manning.
Junior manning is done at all of the regionals…with or without a union contract.

There’s also usually a contract clause about notice.

If the OP is at a union airline, get a shop steward and union rep involved…explain the situation…and get them to help you handle it.

Again: everyobe at the regional level understands you wanting to move up in the world.

Back