Not part 141 but...

PilotChip

Air Traffic Controller
I'm very discouraged from ATP because they are not approved for 141 (for whatever reasons) so I am literally forced to go to ari-ben. A 60% cut is a nice gift from the govt for my service.

But, I am very interested in the program at ATP and I like the professional look.

Has anybody completed the ATP program and then used va benefits for additional training at other places? maybe time-building etc?

of course it's possible I was just curious if anybody has any stories or suggstns.

i do appreciate the info.
jason

In all honesty 141 v. 61 really makes no difference. I've trained quite a bit in both environments and each has its positive and negative aspects. However if you are looking for VA benefits that's another issue.

As a vet who looked into these benefits I discovered that if you go to a big 141 school, it will end up costing you at least $45000.00. That is a low number. You have to pay for it up front which means you still need to get loans unless you are well off. Then later the VA reimburses you. When all is said and done you can still end up paying more than it would have cost to do it ala 61, and not use the benies at all. Just be careful. Its not much of a deal to have the 60% cover way inflated prices because they have a 141 tag. Not bashig Ari. That looks like the best way to go if you use them.

sorry i don't know if i understood all that you said.

won't I have a $50,000 loan for atp (about) and have like 15yrs on it. rather than a $20,000 loan cause the va bens covered the rest?

:confused: hahah
thanks
jason

Thats right, but I am talking about giving the part 61 route a look. There are many factors that contribute to each situation. Don't overlook a place because you cant use the VA benies there. It may end up costing you less not using the benies than going to a place that is 141 where you can use them. Don't forget you cannot use the benifits until you have the private certificate, so you will be paying full cost for that anyway you look at it. I wish you the best of luck wherever you go. Just be mindful of the VA pitfall. If it costs me $20000.00 out of pocket at a part 61 school, that is better than the 20+ that I will have to pay out of pocket after the VA is done reimbursing me at a 141 school. The price tag you see at a 141 school is the very minimum, and often does not include housing. Schools like Ari and ATP assume you have a PPL at the start of the course. If you do not, they will let you do it there at a way inflated cost. All of which would not be reimbursed by the VA. I know ATP does not take the VA, but I am just using them as an example. Also if you take out a long term loan, it can easily turn that $20000.00 that you have to repay into $40000.00.

cessna_cptn said:
Schools like Ari and ATP assume you have a PPL at the start of the course. If you do not, they will let you do it there at a way inflated cost. All of which would not be reimbursed by the VA.

I don't think the cost of ATP's private program is way inflated. ATP gets you your private PLUS builds you up to 85 hours which comes out to about $106 an hour. That is not bad for a Cessna 172 and an instructor being with you much of the time.

Mike

Back