NOS vs Jepp Plates

PhilosopherPilot

I am just curious, which approach plates do the professional pilots out there use? Do the airlines mandate which plates and enroute charts you must use? Perhaps more importantly, do the airlines purchase your updates?

I like the Jepp approach plates, but I like the NOS low-enroute.

Thanks,

Grayson

[ QUOTE ]
I am just curious, which approach plates do the professional pilots out there use?

[/ QUOTE ]

Mostly Jepp is you're talking professional-airline.

NOS/FOF FLIP is you're talking professional-military

Thanks, I forgot to make that distinction. I am not going military, so civilian is what I meant.
smile.gif

G

I love Jepp plates, and I agree with you on the NOS enroutes. I have to stick with NOS plates for now, though. Jepp are nice, but NOS are only $4.95......

Jepps. I actually hate the NACO (NOS) enroute charts. I agree the paper is better, but they drive me nuts because for some unknown reason they dont have the airport identifier on the chart?! Pain in the ass when flight planning or when you are trying to file.

[ QUOTE ]
but they drive me nuts because for some unknown reason they dont have the airport identifier on the chart?! Pain in the ass when flight planning or when you are trying to file.

[/ QUOTE ]

You sure? The airport ID is right under the approach type and next to the airport name.

[ QUOTE ]
I love Jepp plates, and I agree with you on the NOS enroutes. I have to stick with NOS plates for now, though. Jepp are nice, but NOS are only $4.95......

[/ QUOTE ]

If you crunch the math, the Jepp charts aren't that much more expensive than the NACO charts. When using the NACO charts - if flying in more than just an extremely local area - you'll need to buy separate IAPs and low enroute charts. Often, to cover more than one or two states, you'll need to buy 2 or 3 low enroutes (at $4.50 each), and 2 or 3 IAPs (again, at $4.50 each). When you add them up, you can get up there in the dollars. For my area, I buy the Jepp Express pack, for about $28.00. In this, I get the IAPs and low enroutes for TN, AL, MS and KY. In addition, I get an easier chart to read, better airport charts and outstanding arrival and departure procedures. So, for me, it's well worth the money.

By the way, they haven't been called NOS charts for like two years - they're NACO charts.....get with the program guys!!!!
tongue.gif

[ QUOTE ]
You sure? The airport ID is right under the approach type and next to the airport name.

[/ QUOTE ]

Im looking at NACO low enroute L-19 (South Florida) I dont see any three letter airport identifiers next to the airport name. If there happens to be a navaid at the airport then you can figure it out from that, otherwise you have to grab the AFD. The Jepps charts have them marked plain as day for even the smallest airport.

[ QUOTE ]
Im looking at NACO low enroute L-19 (South Florida) I dont see any three letter airport identifiers next to the airport name.

[/ QUOTE ]How 'bout any four letter ones.....

not on my chart! Just airport names. Unless they have finally made a change (this chart is from spring 2003).

naco.jpg

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Im looking at NACO low enroute L-19 (South Florida) I dont see any three letter airport identifiers next to the airport name. If there happens to be a navaid at the airport then you can figure it out from that, otherwise you have to grab the AFD. The Jepps charts have them marked plain as day for even the smallest airport.

[/ QUOTE ]

My bad, I thought you were referring to the approach plates for some reason, not the charts. Remind me to pull my head out of my butt.........

[ QUOTE ]
[
Im looking at NACO low enroute L-19 (South Florida) I dont see any three letter airport identifiers next to the airport name.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which L-19 (date) and which airports? Mine (exp 10/30/03) is kind of weird-shows all the airport IDs, except for airports that are in the terminal area or area charts.

[ QUOTE ]
Hey Page field is my home airport

[/ QUOTE ]
pkloop - are you still down there?

Let me know and I'll fly down for a meet and greet.

I've flown into Page twice. Great pilot shop in the FBO there.
laugh.gif
Lots of cool toys for my desk. Picked up a SWA "Shamu" 737-300 plastic model there. Love that place.

R2F

[ QUOTE ]
if flying in more than just an extremely local area - you'll need to buy separate IAPs and low enroute charts. Often, to cover more than one or two states, you'll need to buy 2 or 3 low enroutes (at $4.50 each), and 2 or 3 IAPs (again, at $4.50 each

[/ QUOTE ]

Right now all I'm doing is flights in FL until I do that comm x/c. All of FL is on one enroute and one pad for the IAPs, which is the same with Jepp. After I'm done with all my training, I'll probably go to Jepp since I won't be paying an arm and a leg for instruction anymore.
smile.gif

Back