Northwest Airlines

N519AT

Ahh! This is how I change this!
I thought I would bring this up since I haven't heard much about them...How is Northwest doing??

P.S. Don't let this thread turn into "When are the DC-9s going to be replaced".
grin.gif

Well, stock closed up $.44 today.

RSMs are down, but not as much as ASMs for January, so loads are doing alright at 73.1%---though Pacific load factors are a whopping 87.6%....don't know how you can beat that.

NW will be adding back LAX-HNL, DTW-FCO, and HNL-KIX and adding new PDX-NRT and LAX-DEN soon.

For those of you who are really interested, check this out.

Oh, and they are still serving minnesota's finest.

They're probably second to Continental as best-managed among the "Big Six". I like flying NWA as a passenger ... in fact, they're my ride to the JC SkiFest '04 in SLC in a couple weeks. I'm in their Elite program and really dig the upgrades.

I'm waiting for the -9s to retire, but they're not bad airplanes. I like riding on the 'bus which is mostly what comes to RDU anymore ... most of my comings and goings are on the A319.

I suspect CO and NWA are the first two you'll see among the Big Six to actually hire new pilots a couple years from now.

FL270

The last time I checked NWA's site it said that they were the 4th largest airline, so I would assume that they are doing pretty good
tongue.gif
. Not to mention in the last few months they have been adding A330s to their fleet which seem to be doing well.

Just announced they're adding back some cut NRT service as well. This is good news.

Don't want to sound too much like an "a.neter" but hopefully, they'll bring back the very old ORD-NRT flight and add some new routes (IAD-NRT, MIA-NRT) once the 330-200 comes online, if it performs well in the trans-pac market.

Well they are buying 1000 new 717's from Boeing
crazy.gif

No, but really I just found this on USA Today's website a few minutes ago:
Costs still an issue at Northwest: With the third-highest labor costs in the industry (after Delta and US Airways), Northwest is talking more cuts. "I don't like it any more than you do, but it's reality," CEO Richard Anderson told staff. The Minneapolis Star Tribune (free registration), saying Anderson wants about $1 billion saved, recalls that management began pressing for labor cost cuts a year ago, when many rivals were using bankruptcy or threat of bankruptcy to win concessions. Pilot union spokesman Curt Kruse says management can certainly make its case, "but we'd never take anything they say at face value." Northwest says the hourly rate for a United 747-400 captain is 22% less than at Northwest. "Northwest management often seeks far too much, and they alienate the people whom they are trying to negotiate with," Kruse said. "We certainly hope they don't make that mistake in the future." Posted 7 a.m. ET

Ahem.

Labor costs don't make or break the airline.

Else TWA, with some of the lowest labor costs in the business, would have flourished.

Icahn and Karabu killed TWA. With the Karabu agreement in place, TWA couldn't make money if they were the St. Louis branch of the United States Mint.

All a.net jokes aside, NWA is going to have to address the DC-9 fleet sooner or later. The 717 would be a good fit, but one also wonders what kind of sweetheart deal Airbus would cook up on 318s.

FL270

I think the quicker we realize as airline pilots, that management would love to have us living in communal-style living in doublewides within clear earshot of crew scheduling, you'll be a lot better off!
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
think the quicker we realize as airline pilots, that management would love to have us living in communal-style living in doublewides within clear earshot of crew scheduling, you'll be a lot better off!

[/ QUOTE ]
Doublewides? I was thinking more along the lines of an RV from the early 70's.
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Northwest says the hourly rate for a United 747-400 captain is 22% less than at Northwest."

[/ QUOTE ]

hmmm... United is in bankrupcy.... Northwest is not

[ QUOTE ]
I think the quicker we realize as airline pilots, that management would love to have us living in communal-style living in doublewides within clear earshot of crew scheduling, you'll be a lot better off!
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That's an awfully high standard there ... I'd aim lower.
smirk.gif

Like the installation of shackles in all cockpits after which all keys would be "lost." And you know the ATA is just foaming at the mouth to get "go pills" OK'd for part 121!
smirk.gif

I'm not going to name the airline (and it's not one that I presently nor formerly worked for) but there is a regional that forbids the pilots in leaving the aircraft between flights without prior approval from operations. Apparently, they sit there with the flight attendant and the gate agent decides when they'd like to board, regardless of the condition of the aircraft.

Straaange.

[ QUOTE ]
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL...I love it!!!

Back