NoPolitics: Airplanes you like that no one else does

And of course the Lear 28. That older girl you met when you were a freshman or sophomore. Taught you a bunch, sexy, but it didn't take long to figure out she was obnoxious and just generally difficult.
IMG_0467.JPG

Edit to add: I was looking at the picture and noticed a landing light out. I wonder which of the dozen scenarios I imagined caused it?

Actually come to think of it, one of my favorite planes to see at SFO growing up was the Jetstream 31\32, loved the commuter aircraft but that one and the EMB-120 in particular. Even in the 90s when I was growing up, they were quickly being replaced by larger turboprops like the EMB-120, ATR, and Jetstream 41. Trans States operating for USAir and Westair flying for United Express were the ones I grew up seeing, and the Express Airlines I birds flying for Northwest Airlink when I was in MSP. I hear they suck to fly, for passengers and crew alike, but I think they're cool. I almost never see them, though. The last one I saw was in St. Maarten in 2011. It was pretty damned cool to see one there, the airline, BVI Airways, did not last much longer either. I know Contour had some for a while in the states, but I never saw one.

N657BA1.jpg

N657BA.jpg

Actually come to think of it, one of my favorite planes to see at SFO growing up was the Jetstream 31\32...

My last flight in a Jetstream sticks out in my mind. A USAir captain was trying to get to LEX from CVG.

He ended up sitting in for the FA, serving peanuts and soda to the passengers with a smile.

Actually come to think of it, one of my favorite planes to see at SFO growing up was the Jetstream 31\32, loved the commuter aircraft but that one and the EMB-120 in particular. Even in the 90s when I was growing up, they were quickly being replaced by larger turboprops like the EMB-120, ATR, and Jetstream 41. Trans States operating for USAir and Westair flying for United Express were the ones I grew up seeing, and the Express Airlines I birds flying for Northwest Airlink when I was in MSP. I hear they suck to fly, for passengers and crew alike, but I think they're cool. I almost never see them, though. The last one I saw was in St. Maarten in 2011. It was pretty damned cool to see one there, the airline, BVI Airways, did not last much longer either. I know Contour had some for a while in the states, but I never saw one.

N657BA1.jpg

N657BA.jpg
The JS-41 always seemed cooler to me for some reason (maybe like a saab 340 vs 2000 thing). But I imagine both were incapable of a smooth landing

N657BA1.jpg

N657BA.jpg

There’s still a number of J31s stored at IGM. In old school liveries such as Reno Air Express....the old Mid Pacific birds..... as well as old UA express, and American Eagle/Wings West birds, and a few others. Cool planes to see and old school.

Last edited:
There’s still a number of J31s stored at IGM. In old school liveries such as Reno Air Express....the old Mid Pacific birds, as well as old UA express/ Wings West and a few others. Cool planes to see and old school.
Woah, I'll have to stop by.

Didn't it have a jump seat on the rear bulkhead?
I don't know - never had the chance to fly in one. Beech 1900s had three seats abreast on the rear bulkhead.

In that era, people did strange things to cram more PAX in. My favorite was Embraer's Bandierante (you guessed wrong - translates to 'pioneer,' But maybe they were...). Seating was 1-2, but the '2' side was really one and a half, with no armrest on the aisle side. You sat there one cheek on, one cheek dangling in the aisle, held in place by the seat belt. Embraer's come a long way from then!

I don't know - never had the chance to fly in one. Beech 1900s had three seats abreast on the rear bulkhead.

In that era, people did strange things to cram more PAX in. My favorite was Embraer's Bandierante (you guessed wrong - translates to 'pioneer,' But maybe they were...). Seating was 1-2, but the '2' side was really one and a half, with no armrest on the aisle side. You sat there one cheek on, one cheek dangling in the aisle, held in place by the seat belt. Embraer's come a long way from then!

My aging brain might have remembered correctly. Here's the 31/32 seating that I recall with the FA crammed in the back.

Attachments

• 6BBBEFA6-2382-4B77-9173-FD9FCD61028A.jpeg
    6BBBEFA6-2382-4B77-9173-FD9FCD61028A.jpeg
    79.3 KB · Views: 16
Back