Non-towered airports

Kristie

Mama Bear....
Staff member
As I'm working on the pavement rejuvenation (overlay) for the Bagdad Airport in AZ, I ran across this at the FAA site and found it quite interesting - since i'm not a pilot myself. For those of you who haven't yet flown into a non-towered area or for those that are just interested, THIS IS GOOD TO KNOW... .

BTW - does anyone know if Bagdad Airport is a Category II or a Category III airport? I have to list the category in my engineers report. What's the best way to find out what category an airport is?

Enjoy...
grin.gif

Re: Non-towered airport information

[ QUOTE ]
What's the best way to find out what category an airport is?

[/ QUOTE ]

I ran into this last summer doing a report on airport activity for the boss in a fight to keep the airport open. I think I ended up having to get in touch with the engineering firm that does the work for the airport to find out. Since you ARE the engineering firm in this case, I'd say your best bet would be contacting the airport manager. If you need a list of category definitions, let me know and I can look around- I think I have one someplace.

Don't know what category it is, but been in there a number of times dropping cargo off to the Cypress mine. Interesting little mining town with nice people.

Bagdad airport is fun... That big mine at the departure end of Runway 23 makes life exciting.
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
BTW - does anyone know if Bagdad Airport is a Category II or a Category II airport? I have to list the category in my engineers report. What's the best way to find out what category an airport is?

[/ QUOTE ]

I dug around a bit on this one... The only thing I could find related to ILS categories, but somehow I don't think that's what you're looking for.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What's the best way to find out what category an airport is?

[/ QUOTE ]

I ran into this last summer doing a report on airport activity for the boss in a fight to keep the airport open. I think I ended up having to get in touch with the engineering firm that does the work for the airport to find out. Since you ARE the engineering firm in this case, I'd say your best bet would be contacting the airport manager. If you need a list of category definitions, let me know and I can look around- I think I have one someplace.

[/ QUOTE ]actually, having the definitions would probably help quite a bit in determining the classification - think you can dig those up for me? I've been looking for those too, only can't seem to find them on the FAA site.

Yep, I'll look around. I didn't get them from the FAA, I do know that. I'm flying again today and all day tomorrow, but I'll try to find it as soon as I can.

[ QUOTE ]
BTW - does anyone know if Bagdad Airport is a Category II or a Category II airport?

[/ QUOTE ]
Is there a difference between a Category II and a Category II?
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
As I'm working on the pavement rejuvenation (overlay) for the Bagdad Airport in AZ, I ran across this at the FAA site and found it quite interesting - since i'm not a pilot myself. For those of you who haven't yet flown into a non-towered area or for those that are just interested, THIS IS GOOD TO KNOW... .

BTW - does anyone know if Bagdad Airport is a Category II or a Category II airport? I have to list the category in my engineers report. What's the best way to find out what category an airport is?

Enjoy...
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Kristie,
I don't know if this is exactly what you are looking for, but here is what I found in FAR 1.1

Category II operations, with respect to the operation of aircraft, means a straight-in ILS approach to the runway of an airport under a Category II ILS instrument approach procedure issued by the Administrator or other appropriate authority.

Category III operations, with respect to the operation of aircraft, means an ILS approach to, and landing on, the runway of an airport using a Category III ILS instrument approach procedure issued by the Administrator or other appropriate authority.

Category IIIa operations, an ILS approach and landing with no decision height (DH), or a DH below 100 feet (30 meters), and controlling runway visual range not less than 700 feet (200 meters).

Category IIIb operations, an ILS approach and landing with no DH, or with a DH below 50 feet (15 meters), and controlling runway visual range less than 700 feet (200 meters), but not less than 150 feet (50 meters).

Category IIIc operations, an ILS approach and landing with no DH and no runway visual range limitation.

Yeah, yeah I have waaay too much time on my hands
laugh.gif

I hope this helps

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
BTW - does anyone know if Bagdad Airport is a Category II or a Category II airport?

[/ QUOTE ]
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]sorry - I fixed it! haha
grin.gif
blush.gif

Someone remind me what ILS is again please-o-please????
shocked.gif
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]sorry - I fixed it! haha
grin.gif
blush.gif

Someone remind me what ILS is again please-o-please????
shocked.gif
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

ILS= Instrument Landing System. Though ILS and Cat I/II/III are N/A when talking about Bagdad airport. No IAPs of any kind last I checked, standard VFR field.

very standard.. no tower.. only runway markings at the end of the runways and a runway centerline.. there's an FBO there, but only 4 planes are housed...

so it's the most basic airport i think i've ever worked on! haha

[ QUOTE ]
very standard.. no tower.. only runway markings at the end of the runways and a runway centerline.. there's an FBO there, but only 4 planes are housed...

so it's the most basic airport i think i've ever worked on! haha

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct. What exactly are you looking for regards airport categories?

Those aren't the categories she's referring to.

Airports are classified into ten categories based on the size of the aircraft that can operate at them. Ex., at a Category III airport, the biggest "regular" aircraft would be something like a Beech 1900.

I can't for the life of me find the actual definitions. I thought they were in the Airport Improvement Project Handbook, but I'm not seeing them.

I'll keep looking...it took me forever to find them when I needed them before- I wish I would've kept a copy someplace handy.

Kristie,

If you are resurfacing the runways and tarmac, then look at these sections in the AIM, sections: CHAPTER 2. AERONAUTICAL LIGHTING AND OTHER AIRPORT VISUAL AIDS

Ref: AIM SECTION 1. AIRPORT LIGHT SYSTEM SYSTEMS (ALS)

SECTION 2. AIR NAVIGATION AND OBSTRUCTION LIGHTING

SECTION 3. AIRPORT MARKING AIDS AND SIGNS

Section 3 is probably the one you need as it deals with the runway markings for type of airport instrument approach. Precision instrument runway markings are different then nonprecision instrument runway and visual runway markings class. Hope this is what you are looking for.

Other airport information as to weight restrictions are found in the AOPA's Airport Directory.

[ QUOTE ]

Airports are classified into ten categories based on the size of the aircraft that can operate at them. Ex., at a Category III airport, the biggest "regular" aircraft would be something like a Beech 1900.

I can't for the life of me find the actual definitions. I thought they were in the Airport Improvement Project Handbook, but I'm not seeing them.

I'll keep looking...it took me forever to find them when I needed them before- I wish I would've kept a copy someplace handy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, sorry...I didnt understand what she meant, but now I do....heres a l link i found....I think this is what you were talking about, but they only have 4 classes.
confused.gif

By category, I think there is one where they measure either the safety levels or the firefighting capability...anyone?

[ QUOTE ]
By category, I think there is one where they measure either the safety levels or the firefighting capability...anyone?

[/ QUOTE ]

Your talking 14 CFR 139 ARFF Index rating for airports. Ratings from Limited, A/B/C/D. Mainly your more larger airports.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]That's what i was looking for... and lucky me - I found the original master study which calls it a B-1 airport.

I'll take a look at those AIM's but I have the FAA circulars to use as regs as well.

Thanks for all the help guys!! Really appreciate it!
grin.gif

Back