Non-121 Consulting

schloopy

I’ve got about 990 hours and it appears that my time instructing is coming to a close, for reasons outside of my control and not entirely clear to me (I was not terminated). Regardless, I’m attempting to make the switch into ideally a part 135 operation. At this time I do not have aspirations of going to the airlines and see myself doing this long term, eventually landing at NetJets would be a dream outcome down the road.

I was curious if anyone here has experience dealing with career consulting firms? I know they are big in the 121 world but I was curious if any specific companies stand out for their non-airline knowledge. Personally I would be looking for maybe a quick touch up of the resume/CL but more so just sourcing the jobs and helping with interview prep. Thanks for any information.

Hang on schloopy, hang on. You'll land where you want to.

As far as getting a job in 135, my experience is that knowing someone who recommends you is worth everything.

That said, 900TT is more than enough to get a job right seating somewhere. Tradewinds, regency, cape air, any number of smaller 135 on-demand shops...

Good luck!

Thanks for the encouragement, despite the hiring environment it’s not hard to notice everyone around you that’s more qualified so I’ll take any motivation I can.

My biggest concerns are a) not actually having 1000 hours and b) the fact that I’m not currently flying so my 90/180/365 day totals are on the clock now. And I also just dont know what I dont know, I’m aware of training contracts, using part 91 to skirt duty limits, commuting policy, etc. but was thinking that a professional could help out with just knowing what to look for/avoid/ask about in interviews.

Thanks for the encouragement, despite the hiring environment it’s not hard to notice everyone around you that’s more qualified so I’ll take any motivation I can.

My biggest concerns are a) not actually having 1000 hours and b) the fact that I’m not currently flying so my 90/180/365 day totals are on the clock now. And I also just dont know what I dont know, I’m aware of training contracts, using part 91 to skirt duty limits, commuting policy, etc. but was thinking that a professional could help out with just knowing what to look for/avoid/ask about in interviews.
Raven careers can help you.

I am not a consultant, but I am happy to answer any questions you come up with while searching. I've flown 91, 135, 121, 135, and am currently back to straight 91. PM me if you don't want questions public. Or post in this thread if you'd like the answers available for others.

Thanks for the offers and advice, I will definitely consider reaching out once I’ve exhausted the few people I do personally know. I’ve got a call scheduled with Raven next week.

What do you want to do? I’ll help you as much as I can.

I’m really open to anything that’s gonna take me to the flight levels. Charter is the idea but certainly medevac or anything like that would be great as well, although I haven’t seen much in the way of entry level positions. Not fixated on jets either, already applied to a PC-12 job that I’d be very happy with. And I basically qualified for food stamps while instructing so money is not a major concern either, anything I get will be life changing (although I probably shouldn’t advertise that part).

You will ask for and get what the industry standard is for the seat and not a penny less. You are a professional and a member of a "guild" of sorts now -- don't forget it.

Start throwing out resumes everywhere - something will stick.

And if you aren't totally sick of instructing, there's still that for the next 500 hours...

Last edited:
My biggest concerns are a) not actually having 1000 hours

I don't even understand this......go rent a Cessna for 10 hours and call it done :) Not that the 10 hr difference makes a real difference, other than maybe some HR hurdle somewhere. You'll be fine, keep flying planes!

I don't even understand this......go rent a Cessna for 10 hours and call it done :) Not that the 10 hr difference makes a real difference, other than maybe some HR hurdle somewhere. You'll be fine, keep flying planes!
I applied for a 135 outfit about 6 months after I got furloughed from the airlines. They had a job posted only 3 of us where in the interview and after talking with the other two I appeared to be the most experienced. At the time I was just maintaining currency in a 172 while working a ground job. The other two were actively instructing. I got the TBNT and I always wondered if just maintaining currency was the issue.

At the time I was just maintaining currency in a 172 while working a ground job. The other two were actively instructing. I got the TBNT and I always wondered if just maintaining currency was the issue.

Point being that not being gainfully employed might have contributed to that? I'd agree that probably has bearing, I was just speaking to the 1000 hr TT consideration. If OP is still current, and just doesn't meet some TT wicket by 10 hours, there are simple ways to fix that problem.

With your times it should be fairly easy to get picked up at a company like PlaneSense. Join Corporate Aviation Job Listings on Facebook and start applying.

At this time I do not have aspirations of going to the airlines and see myself doing this long term, eventually landing at NetJets would be a dream outcome down the road.

Not to burst your bubble, but NJA is essentially the same as 121. You’ll fly two or three legs a day every day you’re on tour unless you’re broken. The only difference is the airports and airplanes will be smaller. You will fly a lot of cool places, but you will immediately repo back to TEB, OPF, or VNY.

Alex

Not to burst your bubble, but NJA is essentially the same as 121. You’ll fly two or three legs a day every day you’re on tour unless you’re broken. The only difference is the airports and airplanes will be smaller. You will fly a lot of cool places, but you will immediately repo back to TEB, OPF, or VNY.

^^^This. If you'd like to spend your career working multiple flights a day, go 121 and get yourself surrounded by proper trip support. I spent 1 year flying 135 on a floating airplane account and it was exhausting. Coordinating fuel and lav dumps, setting out the catering, light cleaning of the back between legs, flight planning, the stress of airlining to and from the plane, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for more people sticking to 91/135, but do it at a company that isn't relying on the revenue from the plane. Get your total time up above 2000 and then get on with a good Corporate operator or a good management company account.

I am going into year 20 as a career corporate pilot. I have done everything from 135 to 91 in-house management, major OEM demonstration pilot and big 3 management company CAM. Trust me when I give you this advice - so as long as the airlines are hiring and paying like they are and you don't have a golden handshake into a large cabin unicorn 91 department please focus all of your time and efforts at getting on with Delta, American or United within the next couple years. From there you can decide if you hate it and want to pursue bizav but I really feel you are selling yourself short being at your entry point into your career and the industry being in the state it is. 135 typically sucks and will only get worse as the mass exodus to 121 continues. It's noble but you will kick yourself in the arse when you are stuck flying a crappy King Air, Beach Jet, Hawker or GIV while all of your peers have made it to a major.

I have a true unicorn 91 job right now. I make widebody captain pay and hardly work. It is truly one of the best jobs in bizav and even I have been considering updating my logbook because 27 years with one of the big 3 majors is almost too good to pass up.

Goodluck and I hope you are flying me to an exotic vacation from your airbus or Boeing office in a few years =)

I’ve got about 990 hours and it appears that my time instructing is coming to a close, for reasons outside of my control and not entirely clear to me (I was not terminated). Regardless, I’m attempting to make the switch into ideally a part 135 operation. At this time I do not have aspirations of going to the airlines and see myself doing this long term, eventually landing at NetJets would be a dream outcome down the road.

I was curious if anyone here has experience dealing with career consulting firms? I know they are big in the 121 world but I was curious if any specific companies stand out for their non-airline knowledge. Personally I would be looking for maybe a quick touch up of the resume/CL but more so just sourcing the jobs and helping with interview prep. Thanks for any information.
Step one: Apply.

These days?? Right now? 135 has never been known for its high standards, but currently, if you can't land a 135 job in the next couple weeks, it's likely you're dead.

I did 135 for 10 years. I am glad I did it, but I am glad I left it.

Its great experience and honestly really puts things into perspective that many pure 121 guys never have.

If you can get on with an airline, Id say do it.

You'll fly 700 hours a year at an airline, and sometimes only 250-300 at a 135. PM me for any questions as well on the 135 life, I worked for 2 operators that were radically different.

Back