Nokia Lumia 820 climbs on board Delta Air Lines

So, as the flight attendant tells passengers to turn off their cell phone, he/she will be firing up their 4G LTE to help the alcoholic woman in 23C get through a 2 hour flight by charging her vodka.... makes perfect sense to me.

I don't think this is any different than any of the other point of sale devices being used in cabins of other carriers already. Some places (VX, Hawaiian etc) have it built in to the seatback entertainment system, some places used the hand held devices. It's just a much flashier, showier unit now.

So, as the flight attendant tells passengers to turn off their cell phone, he/she will be firing up their 4G LTE to help the alcoholic woman in 23C get through a 2 hour flight by charging her vodka.... makes perfect sense to me.
That HHD will likely talk by ship's wi-fi during flight, not LTE.

This week, Delta's 19,000 flight attendants will begin using a new on-board sales tool - a Windows 8 mobile device that IFS has dubbed "Prelude." The Nokia Lumia 820 will streamline on-board purchasing and help improve our customers' experience.

Flight attendants will offer real-time credit card processing for on-board purchases including upgrades to Economy Comfort on transcontinental and international flights (the ability to upgrade to Economy Comfort will eventually be expanded to all domestic flights). Among other benefits, Prelude will be able to read coupons on customers' mobile devices and process transactions faster.

For Flight Operations, our eLINK initiative is well underway with a team of pilots and IT experts working full-time on the roll-out of company-provided Windows 8 tablet devices by year's end for the 757/767 fleet. Details are still being finalized but Phase One of the Electronic Flight Bag (EFB) will include manuals, bulletins and Jepp charts. The goal is to start simple and build on services available on the tablet as we progress through the FAA validation process for all phases of flight on all Delta fleets.

Currently, approximately 5,000 pilots subscribe to the AirWatch Secure Content Locker via their personal iPads. AirWatch subscribers will be able to choose whether to continue using their personal iPads or receive a company-issued tablet during the initial rollout (a Jepp app will be provided for iPad users). We'll have a detailed timeline to share with you by mid September but, for now, know that Delta crew members are officially moving into the mobile world - both in the cabin and the cockpit. Stay tuned!

Thank goodness I can use my iPad for the time being. Wasn't looking forward to using a Microsoft Zune Tablet.

can't wait for:

(BING)
"Hello, front desk."
"Hi, my handheld thingie isn't working, you got a circuit breaker you can pull or something?"
"Uhh, no. You got a manual that explains how to reset it?"
"Well, yes, but I just left it in my V-file. It was too hard to read. Can you send a message to maintainance and ask them?"
"Technology is not your friend, is it?"
"What?"
"Yeah, I'll call you back."
"Oh, by the way, it's too cold in the first 5 rows of coach but too hot in the rest of it. Can you cool it down in the back but warm it up by the 2L door?"
(Sign, CLICK)
"Hello, hello. I think he hung up on me."

Back