no mag drop in the runup...

yeah,
To date, I have not been offered to be paid to develop a standard ops manual for our little FBO where the bosses peeves could be incoroporated into (although I would be happy to). In its absence, I am gonna stick to the aircraft POH.. mags, lights.. whatever
smile.gif

thanks all for the comments.

I am not wanting to beat a dead horse here, but I have a couple of problems with that statement:

1) You are the CFI, so you should be providing everything possible for your student to learn from. I have drafted a couple of checklists, numerous handouts, etc. because I want my students to learn, not because I want to impress the FBO.

2) Where in the 172R checklist, POH, etc. does it say to do the mag check with the lights on? It says to turn on the landing light before landing, but nowhere does it say to do a mag check with the taxi light on...don't quote checklists if they don't specifically say to do that item. As a matter of fact, it never says anything about the taxi light during taxi, so use at your discretion, but it does specifically say to use the landing light sparingly and to use the taxi light for traffic pattern operations instead of the landing light, to extend the life of the landing light. (Normal procedures Amplified, p.4-23 dated Feb 28, 97)

Just my opinion. Fly safely

whoaa.. more attacks on a PIC decision I smell
smile.gif

It was dusk. I use the taxi light sparingly. Dusk is a concern for me, and at a small airport where everyone invents a place to do the runup, i keep the light on. I only gotta taxi to the end of a 2450' runway for gosh sakes !! that little light can handle the job. If it blows an hour earlier cuz I used it at dusk than so be it. I would bet that turning it off for the 1-2 minute "Before Takeoff" checklist probably shortens its life or the life of the switch!!

Thanks for the tip and refernce to the Normal Procedures pages... I actually knew that stuff because I dont use the checklist until/unless I understand the info in the amplified.

I do the same with lists and pages.. but i dont try to replace th eaircraft checklists. I am tired of reading different laminated lists. I like the manufacturers list. Just my opinion.

Ok now, for the final horse beating, I should say that on our airplane (dont know if it is all C172R's) that landing light SUCKS and I find it easier to just have it off for the landing all together. So, in an odd finale to this thread, it is revealed that Bluelake is a friend among aircraft lights after all:)

It\'s hard to believe...

I've been watching this thread develop, and, of the 22 replies thus far, nobody has yet asked what Bluelake did with the airplane when he brought it back to the ramp. Nobody asked him just how close he came to the "hot" prop while doing his preflight. Nobody asked if he posted someone at the airplane after parking to warn any other person approaching the airplane that the prop was hot while he went directly (Go! - Do not collect $200!) to the mechanic to tell him about it.

Folks, be aware - A hot prop on a parked airplane can kill!

Re: It\'s hard to believe...

We returned to the tie-down and shutdown. My student, a pretty safe and conservative instrument student stayed with the plane and I went and told the mechanic. At his instruction, we then taxied the plane to the back of the hangar and our chief a&p took custody of it from there. I used the taxi light again there also, darnit!!

As for preflight, I teach prop-awareness, and to this day have never found a reason in the preflight to even touch the prop (if a ding in the prop is big enough to feel, then I can also probably SEE it).

those are good points though and, jeesh, this thing called 'getting experience' as a CFI is actually begining to look like something
smile.gif

Back