no longer a lurker

Whiskey4Papa

just wanted to say hi, ive been "lurking" for quite some time and decided id add my 2 cents for whatever thats worth. im not a pilot yet, im in college right now, ill be a bonafied certified all round biology teacher in about a year. so after that im going to start flying and hopefully i wont have to teach for too long. i guess which leads me to a question now that im thinking about it, im going to be doing my private this summer and im wondering which plane is best to learn in. my options are a c150, c172, or a katana. any suggestions?

Any of the above, whichever you like best, or whichevers cheaper. Pick one!
smile.gif

They're all made for training.

And welcome!
grin.gif

Welcome... The best training aircraft is a long debate. I have found that the C-172 is the most popular, as well as most available. It seems like that is the platform most local FBO's use. I have done all of my training in Piper Aircraft, Acher's and Seminole's.

Are you planning on going any further than just your private? Or to buy an airplane? If not then I would go w/ the 172, as you can rent a 172 just about at any FBO, and not have to worry about learning a new system.... Just MHO

Welcome! I'm a quasi-lurker too. Anyhow, to answer your question... either one of those planes serve as great trainers. I agree that picking the most affordable is definitely an important variable. I'd also recommend, if you would like to expedite your training, picking an aircraft that the flight school has several of. This often lessens the chance that you can't fly b/c of scheduling or maintenance issues. Just a thought. Good luck!

I did pretty much all of my primary training in a 172, with a little bit of a 152 mixed in. They're nice stable planes and they definitely were great confidence builders. They were so easy to fly and more importantly, they are very forgiving and handle abuse well. And that was important with some of the, um, arrivals that I performed!

yep, cheapest is the best. Just make sure they're taken care of. 152s are like toys, and are so light they get whipped about by the wind. Eventually, and I mean "eventually" this becomes great fun!

-B

[ QUOTE ]
yep, cheapest is the best. Just make sure they're taken care of. 152s are like toys, and are so light they get whipped about by the wind. Eventually, and I mean "eventually" this becomes great fun!

-B

[/ QUOTE ]

Light as a Krispy Kreme!! yay
grin.gif

Welcome aboard!!

i would recommend training in the cheapest one you can. but after you get your license definatly fly all three.

WE are now one member closer to being lurk free everyone!
laugh.gif
and Welcome to the JC!

[ QUOTE ]
Welcome...no offense but I HATE biology with a passion...lol, too friggin hard to understand all of it...
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

ya, but after 3years of mechanical engineering, biology is a blessing. the only thing i want is to never have to solve flux integrals or triple integrals or or moments of inertia about a centroidal axis or any of that stuff. i just want to fly a 747 to hong kong a couple times a month. is that too much to ask? by the way thanks everyone for the welcome and for the advice on what plane to train in.

Back