No Job Openings?!?

What exactly is an "assistant dispatcher"?

It really depends on the airline. Many airlines don't have them any more. Traditionally, they would help with dispatch duties but not actually release flights (Jepp chart revisions, etc.) There is no hard and fast answer as to what the position entails since each carrier does things differently. Usually it is a stepping stone into regular dispatch. The only airline I am aware of that starts everyone out as an assistant is Southwest. I think UPS may do so also but I'm not sure. At my airline, the assistant desk does a lot of calling people for overtime, setting up charters, and listing FAA inspectors for jump seating.

What exactly is an "assistant dispatcher"?

.....Pretty much "The Bitch":bounce::sarcasm:

It really depends on the airline. Many airlines don't have them any more. Traditionally, they would help with dispatch duties but not actually release flights (Jepp chart revisions, etc.) There is no hard and fast answer as to what the position entails since each carrier does things differently. Usually it is a stepping stone into regular dispatch. The only airline I am aware of that starts everyone out as an assistant is Southwest. I think UPS may do so also but I'm not sure. At my airline, the assistant desk does a lot of calling people for overtime, setting up charters, and listing FAA inspectors for jump seating.

This is a fairly good description of the duties. Of course it varies with each carrier

I have applied for about 8-9 jobs since getting my certificate late last year and have only had one interview. Today Mesa e-mailed me for a "phone interview". Anybody have some insight on Mesa's OCC?

...Traditionally, they would help with dispatch duties but not actually release flights (Jepp chart revisions, etc.) There is no hard and fast answer as to what the position entails since each carrier does things differently. Usually it is a stepping stone into regular dispatch.

This is pretty much what I did at Spirit before I was furloughed

I say I can't find a job. I get interviews for Mesa, Expressjet, and Eagle all in the same week. Patience really is a virtue I suppose. :cool:

@ PBR. One of my co-workers was at Mesa for 10 years. The good: PHX is a nice place to live, great flight benefits, and the DX crew is awesome. The bad: management, pay, work environment is horrible. As a first job, it would be good experience but limit yourself to 3-5 years and move on. Not a place to stay long term. That's all the info I got! Good luck :)

I have no experience with Mesa other than what people whom I trust have said: "Don't go there".

ljg said:
I have no experience with Mesa other than what people whom I trust have said: "Don't go there".

That's pretty much what my co-worker said, unless it's your first job and you really need some experience. Also, it was described as a "point & click" operation so you're not really doing any flight planning. More flight following than anything.

Having worked there for over three years myself, I would agree with this. If you must go there, don't plan for a long stay - just get some experience and move on.

Back