No ERAU For Me

MissedApproach

Today I returned my ERAU PRC scholarships and admission declaring that I will be forced to reject their offer. It pained me to do it but I feel it's the best decision. I know that ERAU probably has the best training and the highest level of education but for 140k it's just not worth it.

I can say that during the admissions process ERAU was very professional and really didn't try to force me into any commitments. I did visit the ERAU PRC campus and liked it a lot. The flight line and the sims were impressive, and the students seemed to be happy. Something did seem a bit off, but I couldn't put my finger on it. It was then that I realized that I hadn't seen any girls, anywhere! (but that's not the determining factor)

So, instead I will be going through MAPD at ASU. It'll cost a LOT less and just might get me in the right seat as quickly as ERAU. I know that the instruction won't be as good and the ERAU campus is certainly leaps and bounds above the ASU campus. But, at least I won't have to resort to engaging in threads like "Who's the Hottest FBO Chick."
grin.gif

I was back a few years ago also considering ERAU (Prescott), but poor grades and no money forced me to unconsider it
frown.gif

I think people get great educations at ERAU.. But if you want a 4year degree I think it costs several limbs now
grin.gif

I don't think 140k is too far off for four years with flight option nowadays Doug. I don't mind paying loans off until I'm 50, but I don't want to do it when I'm 85!
tongue.gif

Oh man, that's disheartening. It's a great school and we had fantastic flight and academic instructors, but $140,000 is a •load of money.

My first year, tuition was $1800 for the semester and FA110 (private pilot) was a little over $4000.

How times have changed...

I'm getting ready to graduate in the Summer and will have spend about $120,000. Fortunately about $25,000 of that was paid with scholariships but it still is a lot of money. Plus I know the DAB campus is raising tuition 8% in the Fall after it just went up 8% last year. Add to that the ever increasing flight costs and I can see how a new student could expect to pay $140,000. I don't think putting Riddle on your resume is worth quite that much.

Yep, 140k is the rate were getting now. Its 25k per year for tuition, books, housing, food, and then an additional 10k for flight costs. They offered me 6k a year which is pretty generous for someone in AeroSci. But even if I did work and my parents pitched in I'd come out with 70k debt.
crazy.gif

Im going to ERAU. Great school. Studying Aerospace Studies.

In my opinion no matter if you goto ERAU or another college and get a degree in Aeronautical Science or flying is an uneducated choice.

Heh, I'm gonna save that and see what you have to say about Riddle after you've been there for a few semesters.

Hi Everyone, Im currently a student at ERAU Prescott, and I can confirm the tuition costs as well. They are indeed around 140K. But what I did was come to riddle with my Commercial cert. and Instrument rating, which saved me tremendous ammounts of money. I just wanted let anyone who is interested in ERAU know that there is a cheaper way to do it.

Ouch, the tuition thing pains me.

I think it's a good school but $140K for a aeronautical science degree is completely ill.

Man, I wish I could call and have a chat about how stupid the tuition increase is but it'd fall on deaf ears.

Maybe I oughta just start a flight school myself!
smile.gif

If we could roundup some aircraft on leaseback and some facilities, I would!

Whenever Kristie gets frustrated with engineering, she always says "Dammit, why don't you start a flight school so I can be the secretary and make cookies for the students?"

Haha!

I want some cookies and a job at your flight school. For now, I will settle for some cookies.

If someone would give me some venture capital, I'd run off to Las Vegas for a wild weekend, come back and start up a flight school with what I had left!

[ QUOTE ]
If someone would give me some venture capital, I'd run off to Las Vegas for a wild weekend, come back and start up a flight school with what I had left!

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol not sure how investors would feel about that plan!
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Yep, 140k is the rate were getting now. Its 25k per year for tuition, books, housing, food, and then an additional 10k for flight costs. They offered me 6k a year which is pretty generous for someone in AeroSci. But even if I did work and my parents pitched in I'd come out with 70k debt.

[/ QUOTE ]

I managed around $6K in scholarships, but we won't talk about the loans....

Luckily, I'll have my PPL and instrument done and paid for. Previous college (also done and paid) is getting me out of about 2 1/2 years at Riddle. Thank God I'm still going to be able to work my full time job and go to school....

Not that this matters, I went engineering at the Daytona Beach campus and when I started tuition was $3,500/semester. When I finally graduated tuition was up to $5,500/semester. I couldn't afford ERAU at the prices they charge today. Federal loans, grants, and GI Bill helped defray my costs.

Back