No Bachelor's degree... what can I expect?

Re: No Bachelor\'s degree... what can I expect?

NOT TOO COMMON AT SKYWEST.
I REMEMBER THE NEW HIRE GROUP I WAS IN ONLY ONE HAD A COLLEGE DEGREE ALL THE OTHERS WERE FRESH OUT OF HIGH SCHOOL WITH TONS OF HOURS!

Yeah because Delta is Unionized. All the pilots union ever does is take the pilots money and find ways to screw them.

Look at the poor saps at Mesa they are supposedly supported by the ALPA and most of their pilots are on food stamps making less than minimum wage. That code sharing agreement they made with US Air did not help them either. Sky West walked out of that contract because that contract would have screwed our pilots. In the event of a US Air furlough their pilots would be flying our RJ's what moron would agree to that.

As for Air Wisconsin and ComAir, sure they boast to have the highest paid regional pilots, but after taxes and Union Dues they make about as much money if not less than Sky West pilots. And SkyWest does not have a union making life harder for its pilots.

Mastercaution,
...and it is. I appreciate your opinion, but if you had a 1000 candidates and 10 slots, how would you get rid of X% of the pool? I would use a qualification such as a degree otherwise I'm spending 1000 man hours, spending $$$ interviewing each Joe with the ratings.

Secondly, a degree is a good way to take care of yourself and a family if applicable, if you get layed off or lose a medical.

I respect the dissenting opinions on the degree thing, but at some point it needs to be realized that this IS the rules of the game, like it or not. If you want to play, you're gonna have to play by the rules. There are some that get by, but it certainly isn't the norm. Like the saying goes... Life ain't fair, get over it.

Just another .02 that no one asked for.... /ubbthreads/images/icons/smirk.gif

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Doug,I can see where having a degree would be advantageous to you when your flying job is yanked out from under you,you fall back to your academical preparation.However,this should be a matter of personnal preference,and not a "mandatory" requirement by the airlines.Let`s say I`m interviewing 2 candidates for a job,both are equally qualified,down to the educational B.S. requirement,what should sway my decision to hiring a particular candidate? You see,having a degree nowadays it`s so standard that I don`t think it longer proves anything to anyone about your abilities to fly commercial aircraft.Having a degree in political sciences does not show my ability to learn complex airplane systems.If the airlines really wanted to verify a candidate`s ability to learn complex airline systems,how about then requiring candidates with degrees in fields related to flying?( the way the Air Force did when I wanted them to teach me to fly. ) What I`m trying to say is,having a degree nowadays is so common as it was having a high school diploma 20 years ago.Flight time,variety of aircraft flown,should be the real indicators of prospective airline pilots.

[/ QUOTE ]

But you have to realize that the airlines like candidates with degrees. They make the rules.

It's a screening process. Airlines (most, I think) require you to have a FCC restricted radiotelephone certificate as well. It doesn't mean anything and whenever I fly in Canada, no one checks for it.

But it's required.

There are really two choices in making yourself competitive for a career in aviation. You can choose to debate why certain requirements are there, or you can choose to meet the requirement and continue pursuing a career.

While on the subject of degrees.. if you go ahead and get your ratings first and then progress as far as possible without the degree (I am guessing at Regional Airline level here) then would the knowledge and training you have recieved up to that point count towards a degree? Seeing as the aircraft being operated by regional airlines are now often jets (and modern jets at that) surely the level of training and learning required to make it into such a cockpit must count for something?

Just looking at my options here /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

You can have 15,000 of captain time in a 737 and if the airline requires a degree, they will not interview you.

In fact, I've spent some time in the HR department and the secretary filters out any applications that don't meet the minimums without prejudice.

Some regionals now are asking for at least a 2-year degree. When in the past 1000 total, 100 multi and a high school diploma or GED will do. Now thanks to the economy, plenty of regionals are now asking for at least an AA degree and 1800 total and 500 multi. I’ve known old timers that have been with SkyWest for their entire career and they could remember a time when minimums were 5000 total and 1000 multi, just to fly a crappy Metro.

Their hiring requirements go up and down with the economy.
Get the degree the economy is not as good as it was in 2000. In today’s economy don’t expect to get hired by either the regionals or majors without one.

Hey SKY200 - I applied to Skywest heavily when I was a CFI and I had about 2000 hours and 300 hours of multi-engine time and they laughed their asses off at my qualifications. I think the average new hire back in 1996 had about 3000 or 4000 hours because the economy was doing so poorly.

The big joke back in the mid-90's was that if you didn't have any space shuttle orbiter experience, you need not apply!

I was really lucky 1020 total and 103 multi with no college degree.

Back