NJC 2008 Guest Speaker, Capt. Al Haynes (sign-up)

Kristie

Mama Bear....
Staff member
In an effort to get an accurate count of those who will be attending the guest speaker event, i'm gathering names so i can make sure we have enough seating and food/beverage for everyone. I figure we'll probably offer light snacks (cookies or something) and water/cokes at the most. i don't want to distract from Capt. Haynes as he speaks with a lot of "munching".

Please DO NOT sign up on the poll unless you have at least registered for the event. I'd even appreciate it if you would please pay the registration fee for the event prior to adding your name to the poll that way, my count can be *ACCURATE*.

If you cannot yet pay the registration fee, put yourself down as a "maybe" only.

Background Info on Capt. Al Haynes:
Captain Al Haynes was born in Paris, Texas and raised in Dallas. He attended Texas A&M College before joining the Naval Aviation Cadet Training program in 1952. He was released from the service in 1956 after serving as a Marine Aviator. He joined United Airlines that year as a flight engineer and served in that capacity until his promotion to first officer in 1963. He flew the DC-6, DC-7, DC-8, Boeing 727, and DC-10. Al was promoted to captain in 1985 and flew the Boeing 727 and DC-10 up to his retirement in August 1991, accumulating over 27,000 hours of flight time.

Al has been a volunteer umpire for Little League Baseball for the past 36 years and a stadium announcer for high school football for the past 30 years.
The date and time is October 20th (Monday) from 2pm - approx 4pm. The presentation will be 1 hr, 15 minutes minimum (could go longer, who knows)...Q&A after that.

Capt. Haynes presentation will include a video and powerpoint from which he will personally speak. Afterwards, there will be a Question/Answer session.

From what i hear and from seeing that the initial introduction:
"On July 19, 1989, United Airlines Flight 232 departed Denver at 2:09 p.m. and climbed to 37,000 feet. At 3:16 p.m. the flight crew notified Minneapolis Air Traffic Control that the number two engine had FAILED and the aircraft was marginally controllable. …Here is the rest of the story."
It is a very powerful and moving story.

More to the story of United Airlines Flight 232:
That 184 people survived the crash landing of United 232 can be attributed to five main factors: Luck, Communications, Preparation, Execution, and Cooperation. Luck involved the fact that the airplane remained flyable, location, weather, and time of day. Quick and total response by Air Traffic Control, cockpit and cabin crew training, proper inter-communications training among ground units, and proper use of available facilities contributed to the communications factor. A live drill leading to improvements and better planning for disasters coupled with thorough training of cockpit and cabin crews helped prepare everyone of this seemingly impossible task. Everyone responded as his or her training dictated and required a total team effort coupled with complete cooperation from every agency involved as well as the general public. These factors allowed what appeared to be a non-survivable accident to be one in which a large percentage of those aboard to survive.

We are very honored to be able to bring Captain Haynes to you this year. It's a new venture for us and I, for one, am really looking forward to meeting Captain Haynes and welcoming him to NetworkJC. I hope you are too. We worked hard to get him. Please help us make sure Captain Haynes has a good showing by signing up according to the above instructions. Thanks! :D

Attachments

• Al Haynes 2006 more serious.jpg
    Al Haynes 2006 more serious.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 254
Maybe

The only reason I voted maybe is because I won't know if I can go to NJC until near the end of this month. If I can go to NJC, I'm a definitive yes for Al Haynes.

Re: Maybe

if/when your maybe changes to a yes, just PM me and i'll switch you to the other list on my end. :)

Katie same with me on the maybe...I'll know in about a week or two my formal plans on coming.

For those thinking of going or not to this event you should! Captain Haynes spoke at my school and it was incredible. Definitely an opportunity that doesn't come around too often.

NJC

if/when your maybe changes to a yes, just PM me and i'll switch you to the other list on my end. :)

Thanks I will do that as soon as I know.

I had intended to be sure that I'd attend NJC from much farther out but oil and some other things created a different situation.

I hope I can make NJC again (but the beginning part too) and see Al Haynes.

Winnie and I will both attend the Al Haynes event.

Vacation days are what it's about. I will likely be on reserve in October, but I put in for the days right after upgrade! Woo Hoo!

Winnie and I will both attend the Al Haynes event.

Vacation days are what it's about. I will likely be on reserve in October, but I put in for the days right after upgrade! Woo Hoo!

:yeahthat:

Luckily, our vacation bid carries over if we bid FO the year before, so I didn't have to re-bid. Just called crew planning and had it moved.

Nessa will be going to this one with me, too. She saw the video of the crash and said "Wow. I'd like to meet the guy that survived that." I said "Uhhh....okay" :)

:yeahthat:

Luckily, our vacation bid carries over if we bid FO the year before, so I didn't have to re-bid. Just called crew planning and had it moved.

Nessa will be going to this one with me, too. She saw the video of the crash and said "Wow. I'd like to meet the guy that survived that." I said "Uhhh....okay" :)
I'm sure excited about JC . . . It's one of the highlights of my year. Looking forward to meeting you there! Dale

Put me down for one please. Just paid my registration today and my hotel is set. Just need to firm up my flight plans.

Thx!
Al

we had the option to sell his books on site (for autographs) but we would have had to buy them first at full price of which we just don't have the money to do and couldn't guarantee all the sales.

If you want to buy his book, you can probably find it at Amazon or something and i think he did say he would signed those who brought books. can't really remember if that's really the case though... but i bet he would.

we had the option to sell his books on site (for autographs) but we would have had to buy them first at full price of which we just don't have the money to do and couldn't guarantee all the sales.

If you want to buy his book, you can probably find it at Amazon or something and i think he did say he would signed those who brought books. can't really remember if that's really the case though... but i bet he would.

I can't seem to find this book, anyone know the title? I have done the normal searches, but not finding anything. Thought an autographed book would make a great Christmas gift for someone I know at UAL.

Back